Expensive Weekend

shwinboy

Likes Dirt
Are you nuts!

Of course if you put a 7" - 8" travel dual crown fork on a hardtail designed for 5" fork tops you can expect your frame to end up looking like this eventually. I advise you to get a custom built hard tail to take that kind of leverage.

creepyjoe

Likes Dirt
1) the sidekick is designed for 4" forks
2) I don't think the forks had anything to do with the frame looking like this, did you read the thread? He ran into a parked car at 70 km/hr, I think his frame would be just a little damaged no matter what fork he had.
3) boxxers are only 6"-7" forks, not 7"-8", if they are on the 6" setting then thats only 1 inch more than the common 5" that people run, and being dual-crowns, correct me if I'm wrong but due to the bottom crown being smaller than a typical single crown, this partially compensates for the extra travel anyway - I'm sure socket could elaborate on this

personally I think the bike looks kikass

wombat

Lives in a hole
Ramming it into a stationary car at 70 clicks isn't going to do it any favours either.

S.

ex offender
creepyjoe said:
2) I don't think the forks had anything to do with the frame looking like this, did you read the thread? He ran into a parked car at 70 km/hr, I think his frame would be just a little damaged no matter what fork he had.
3) boxxers are only 6"-7" forks, not 7"-8", if they are on the 6" setting then thats only 1 inch more than the common 5" that people run, and being dual-crowns, correct me if I'm wrong but due to the bottom crown being smaller than a typical single crown, this partially compensates for the extra travel anyway - I'm sure socket could elaborate on this

personally I think the bike looks kikass
What's the bottom crown being smaller got to do with anything? The fact is, with DC forks, you have 3 metal tubes taking the stress at the headtube area, not one. Therefore, it's going to be a LOT stronger than a comparably built SC fork.

Fact is, he could have run into that car with NO forks on, just manualling down the road - the frame would still be fucked.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Socket, i think what creepyjoe was asking you to elaborate on was wether the crown-axel height of a 6inch dual crown versus the crown-axel height of a single crown is that much. I say it would depend on how far down he has the stanchions pulled in comparison to the head tube length. But still, its going to be noticably different.

On topic however, 70kmh is going to fuck anything, im just surprised he got out of it with just a broken finger and didnt mash his goolyes on the stem....OUCH.

Rik

logged out
That bike looks like an oldschool freestyle bmx, now you've got clearance to do barspins!

fastrider gus

super huck
shwinboy said:
Are you nuts!

Of course if you put a 7" - 8" travel dual crown fork on a hardtail designed for 5" fork tops you can expect your frame to end up looking like this eventually. I advise you to get a custom built hard tail to take that kind of leverage.
u dickhead... i hate people that always crap on about "ooom man! dont put dual crown forks on HT's!! they wont be ablt to take it!"
fark man.. i ride a 250 with 7' boxxers and i do bigger shit than most guys on duallies...
does that say something about HT's with dual crowns?? :roll:

Rik

logged out
Don't make arrogant statements like that, because it ends up that you're the one to look like a dickhead.
It may be fine for now, but the extra leverage will take its toll, it may not happen now, it may not happen during normal riding, but all it takes is one crash/mess up, and you can say goodbye to your front end.

wombat

Lives in a hole
fastrider gus said:
shwinboy said:
Are you nuts!

u dickhead... i hate people that always crap on about "ooom man! dont put dual crown forks on HT's!! they wont be ablt to take it!"
fark man.. i ride a 250 with 7' boxxers and i do bigger shit than most guys on duallies...
does that say something about HT's with dual crowns?? :roll:
Gus, you're right and you're wrong. You're wrong because he didn't generalise about all HT's, he specifically mentioned the DMR, which although can handle the DC in most cases, is still not designed for it.

You're right though because making generalisations about ALL HTs having problems with DC's is silly. Many HTs aren't designed for dual crown forks, but by the same token many duallies won't handle them too well either.
The important thing is that how much travel the rear end has is pretty much a moot point as the important construction is at the other end of the frame. A frame which is designed to withstand the stresses from a SC fork, may well not hold up under the drastically increased load of a DC; some will though. Would I put a DC on a DMR, probably not, but many people do and get away with it. Would I put a DC on a duallie like an NRS? Shite no. Rear suspension is irrelevant.

fastrider_ben

Likes Dirt
creepyjoe said:
not true

the forks hav alot to do with bending the frame
if it was single crown they would of snapped straight off