Experience with bike wash/degreaser and frame bearing life

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
I'm interested in hearing any others experience with bike-specific bike wash or degreasers and a reduction in frame bearing life? In the past I've used MucOff bike wash and myself and some riding mates felt like it was leading to some fairly short bearing life, so we ditched it. This is the 'spray on and let sit for a while' type, as opposed to some diluted in a bucket of water. Fast-forward a couple of years and I recently used a similar Krush bike wash (and also their degreaser, though was relatively careful not spray that all over the pivots) and a couple of rides later I've got some creaky pivots on my 3-month old frame....

So am I imagining this? Is it just a coincidence? Or have others found using these bike-specific washes leads to cactus bearings? I did a bit of googling and didn't really see any negative feedback (which I feel it would have if this was really a problem), keen to hear others here thoughts.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I made the mistake once of using a strong degreaser thinking that it would save time and elbow scrub, and just about everything squeaked the next day.

The best thing to do is wash your bike as little as possible and at the very least never use high water pressure and or an acidic degreaser unless you have nothing better to do in life than bike maintenance. I just hose my bikes off with water after a few rides, lucky if I wash them properly once every three months unless I need to work on them or it was a muddy ride. I just use the car wash unless I've dismantled parts and need them clean to work on. Best to avoid any bearing area with lots of water, use the minimum you can to get the job done.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I've been using Muc-Off cleaner for yonks and never noticed it having an adverse effect on frame bearings.

One thing worth pointing out is that due to the relatively small range of motion, unlike headset, bottom bracket & wheels, suspension pivot bearings will over time bind themselves into one spot, then they get noisy, so it is worth disconnecting the pivots & giving the bearings a proper spin by hand (and hopefully settling them in a different sector) every few months to help them stay fresh.

And NEVER, EVER use degreaser directly on the bike, and even off the bike only in absolutely necessary circumstances, which are very rare!

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Avoid washing your bike too much. From Santa Cruz.

Joe Graney said:
Stop washing your bike so much. We did some experiments with bikes that were washed a lot but ridden infrequently, bikes that were ridden a lot but washed infrequently, and bikes that were both washed and ridden a lot. Guess what? Your bike hates only being washed and not being ridden. This test group had the worst results. They became creaky and not much fun to be around, much like the people who own bikes like that. Don't get all angry (you know who you are), you can still wash your bike from time to time - and there are those times where it has to be done after every ride. Everything needs more attention during those times. BUT, maybe you should examine your priorities. It's a mountain bike. You can get dirt on it. It's OK.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I use Krush bike wash and degreaser and haven't had a problem yet.

I'm buying some Schwalbe bike soap to try out as it's cheap, long lasting and totally natural.

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
Avoid washing your bike too much. From Santa Cruz.
Haha trust me, I avoid washing my bike like the plague normally so sounds like I now have even more justification for that!

And NEVER, EVER use degreaser directly on the bike, and even off the bike only in absolutely necessary circumstances, which are very rare!
Yeah in the past I've only ever degreased with the drivetrain removed (mainly out of concern about paint damage), but the directions for the Krush degreaser specifically state it's OK to use on the bike. I wonder if there was just enough overspray to get near a few of the lower pivots and that's done it...

Certainly seems to be enough people not having issues with the bike washes that there isn't a direct link... Thanks all!

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon it’s not so much the brand of soap or degreaser, but grit getting past the seals that stuffs up pivot bearings. Take a sealed bearing apart and you’ll see how delicate the seals are - easily defeated by a pressure washer or a brush/rag carrying grit.
Use a pressure washer judiciously ie on stuff like rims and tyres and it’ll be OK.
If your bike gets covered in mud often, you’re going to have to accept pivot bearings are a consumable item