Exploding Recons?

I raced a set of recons on a hard tail at a dh race. I was lucky to complete my race run because mid way down the recons started to deflate. Whats the problem and how much would it cost to fix the forks?

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
Vague question much.

How old are the forks? When did they deflate? What kind of deflation (Short and sudden loss of pressure / Long drawn out death?)

Any other related information about the issue etc.

If you want reasonable and concise help from people you need to supply appropriate details to aid their evaluation of the situation.

Otherwise. Flamesuite is the only option.

B.utters

Likes Dirt
You have probably blown your air cartridge up. you need another one and i wouldn't have a clue how much it will cost you. Take it to your bike shop and get them to look at it.

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are them forks meant for the weekend warrior or for racing?, I am not upgrading my Rebas if so haha

Sneebyl

Likes Dirt
They are a high end all mountain fork. Probably not what you want on a hardtail when racing DH.
I wouldn't say that they're either high-end or all-mountain, I'd probably call a mid-range trail/XC fork. Either way, Recons shouldn't be used for racing DH, especially on a HT, and we can't really diagnose OP's problem w/o more info. Sending them to NSDynamics is probably going to be your best bet if something serious is wrong with them.

Vague question much.

How old are the forks? When did they deflate? What kind of deflation (Short and sudden loss of pressure / Long drawn out death?)

Any other related information about the issue etc.

If you want reasonable and concise help from people you need to supply appropriate details to aid their evaluation of the situation.

Otherwise. Flamesuite is the only option.
it was a long drawn out deflation - from pumping them up to my correct pressure for my weight they went down completely within about 5 or so minutes

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
The seals in your positive air chamber have expired - it does happen especially if the forks haven't been regularly serviced and lubed. Or misused as you seem to have done. They can be replaced as part of a fork service provided nothing else is knackered. If the entire chamber etc needs replacement then your fork is probably headed for the scrap metal bin.

If thee were me I'd be using your Recon forks as a service mule. Do the fix job yourself and learn yourself some new skills. The RS site has all the parts lists and service guides and the like and your LBS will be able to get them for you.

I just put a remote kit into my new OE Recon Silver TK and took the opportunity to dismantle, change the stock fork oil for aftermarket Motorex and reassemble. And strike me down if the damn thing doesn't perform better than it did out of the box...for some odd reason! And I now know much more about forks...

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^^ great post that! Spot on.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me during the Otway Odyssey on mine. silentbutdeadly's post is spot on, you need to replace the seals and I'd recommend doing it yourself. The cost difference between the LBS and you doing it yourself is huge, and it's not that difficult. The guide on the RS site is great, and there are even some videos around in youtube.

Additionally try to get the seals on-line, I got a complete legitimate RS set plus replacement dust seals for $45 which was half of LBS.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
IIRC a RS seal kit is around $55rrp.

The real solution to your problem will cost $499rrp and is called a set of argyle coils.

You will have to rebuild your forks every time you race DH if you don't get something appropriate. You are probably also risking injury riding a generally inappropriate bike.

Cycle Technic

Likes Bikes
If the Solo air O-ring has been damaged or worn out, causing the leaking, it can be replaced with another O-ring, price about 10 cents - the only catch is you can usually only buy them in packs of 100. If you're committed to pulling the fork apart yourself you can remove the O-ring and take it to a hydraulics or bearing shop, they can measure and replace it. I suspect it will be a 21 * 3.5mm.

When you refit the Solo air assembly, don't forget to lubricate the top of the piston. I use a mix of suspension grease and Fox Float fluid - it seems to last longer than the fluid alone, and do a better job of lubricating the O-ring than grease alone. Lubrication of dynamic O-rings is important in allowing them to maintain their seal and to slow down wear.

If you can't get an O-ring, PM me and I'll post you one but be quick, I only have a thousand or so RS O-rings left.

CT Canberra

IIRC a RS seal kit is around $55rrp.

The real solution to your problem will cost $499rrp and is called a set of argyle coils.

You will have to rebuild your forks every time you race DH if you don't get something appropriate. You are probably also risking injury riding a generally inappropriate bike.
Dude thats what i got!!!! The reckons are just sitting under my bed and i want to start using them again:)