Extremely slow web browsing on new laptop... Is there an easy solution?

Shredden

Knows his goats
I got a new laptop for school a couple of days ago, it is a 14" HP Envy that I paid ~$800 for. I know shit all about computers but it has i5-4200, 8gb of ram, and a 750gb HDD with a 24gb SSD as well.

So by the numbers, it is much better than my previous computer, my dads computer, and all the other ones in our household.

And it is much faster in all other respects, but the web browsing is so slow. Videos are slow, and webpages (even just facebook) take multiple seconds to fully load. I am using Chrome.

Can anyone suggest why this is? I dont think it has to do with the network because its still fine on all the other computers.

If it helps, I did a speed test, this is the result.

speedtest.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Try using firefox and comparing results.

yeah your network is fine, there should be no hangups at that end. 8GB of RAM is plenty for browsing and the i5 should be bulletproof.

Are there any other programs that are slow to load/open or lag when you do stuff?

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you using any chrome extensions,or a different antivirus software to what you are used to?
Ah yeah, that might be it. That laptop probably comes with Norton - I'd get rid of it completely and use either Windows Defender or Avast.
You might need to google how to get rid of Norton completely.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Thanks guys, tried Firefox and I'm not sure, it felt a touch faster but it might just be my imagination.

Downloaded avast, will get rid of Norton ASAP. The pop ups are already driving me crazy haha.

Extension wise I have AdBlock and Google Docs, thats it.

Theres nothing else that lags that I can tell. I have been playing San Andreas on Very High detail, where on my old lappy it only just ran on low detail haha.

Minlak

custom titis
Ditch Norton
Avast is Shit if you must use a free one just use Microsoft Security Essentials
Your laptop if new is also probably downloading a Gigiilion MB's of windows updates at the same time or installing them or both
HP will have a lot of "Crapware" all the little helpful programs that don't do dick all wanting attention too unistall as many of them as you feel comfortable doing like HP assistant etc

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Don't get avast.

The only antivirus you need is Microsoft security essentials and Malwarebytes.

I suppose you can install Spybot search and destroy..