Factory HT DH bikes

spuddy

Likes Dirt
And now that ive used as many abbreviations in the title as possible...

Are there any companies that make a hardtail bike suitable for downhill? I know you can ride any HT downhill, but does anyone know / can anyone think of a bike that a company has made to do it? Forgive me if i'm overlooking something obvious here :wink:

Would be nice to see a decently priced, chainguided, hydro'd, HT with a 1/2 decent wheelset on the market.

toodles

Wheel size expert
I'd recommend both the Craftworks Rail and Santa Cruz chameleon frame but as has been said, this thread has been covered a fair bit.

Gaz85

Likes Dirt
get a rampage, ive got one and i use it for DH, im not doin too bad at it so i guess it works and u can also ride it else where like 4X and stuff because it dont have tripples.

my 2c worth.

jamsta

Jamsta Grafix
NORCO TORRENT is the bomb - designed for just that, also Sassy etc in the Norco NS HT range are intended for that exact thing....

the other bikes mentioned in this thread also rock.

its a personal/$ choice for most people, but Norco have tweeked their HT range so much, you be hard pressed to beat it.... :)

my 2 cents - cheers

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any generic "freeride hardtail", size M and up, with some dual crown forks and a chainguide would suffice as a "downhill hardtail" (generally).

But as a cult bike, a real downhill hartail needs to be built up with your own spec :wink:

pezzer

Likes Bikes
How about the .243? It was designed for DH as well as DJ, NS, 4X etc. not to mention all out hucking. So I reckon it'd be a pretty good bet. But then again, all the bikes mentioned so far are good for it.

Good luck with choosing :wink:

FuTAnT

Likes Dirt
I'd go a Norco shore HT. If I had the money I'd go the Craftworks, but they are not guranteed with triple crown forks, whereas the Norcos are.

Make up your own mind. 2005 Rampage looks like an awesome beast.

and1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
h-foundation said:
Personally working off geometry and a brief ride i would recomend a craftworks rail. Put a large fork on it and slacken off the head angle. It has adjustable chainstays so your DH HT can also be used very effectively for jumping too.
h-foundation said:
Please note this is only a opinion.
And a dodgy one at that...

Craftoworks Website said:
Q. Can I run triple crown forks?
A. No.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
and1 said:
h-foundation said:
Personally working off geometry and a brief ride i would recomend a craftworks rail. Put a large fork on it and slacken off the head angle. It has adjustable chainstays so your DH HT can also be used very effectively for jumping too.
h-foundation said:
Please note this is only a opinion.
And a dodgy one at that...

Craftoworks Website said:
Q. Can I run triple crown forks?
A. No.

and1 said:
h-foundation said:
Large..... not Dual Crowns, with the amout of 6" and 7" Single Crown forks comiing out, there are endless choices for forks :wink:

and1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bah my apologies to h-foundation. I clearly misread that. heh. Im going to sleep.

spuddy

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that hardtail hero. My question was regarding factory build dh ht's, not sometihing i can build myself.... Norco Manik looks sweeeet. Thanks all.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Banshee morphine, BMW, spooky. any of the east coast (in america that is) manufacturers. failing that, .243 (even though they are overrated), or just any HT that can handle a DC fork