Falling out of love with a sport - when is it time to throw in the towel?

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Back when I was climbing ~25,000m each month on the road bike and looked vaguely anorexic, someone asked me why I needed to be that fit. I didn't have an answer. I think it's possible to be 'too fit' and I feel much healthier now that I'm getting my fitness from a couple of MTB rides each week (and commuting to work sometimes) and am back to a 'normal' weight. When I was doing all those ks I was getting sick all the time as well, which is a known thing as the immune system can be compromised when your body is working so hard all the time.
25,000 vertical metres a month... geez... sounds more like an endorphin addiction.

poita

Likes Dirt
Being an unreformed gear head and bike collector I say keep it and hunt around for a second hand premium xc whip. You will definitely miss the roadie and they are bloody expensive to replace. In saying that, the second hand roadie market is all about buyers lately. So many dreamers with too much cash making rash purchases and then trying to offload in a hurry.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Sounds more like absolute madness.
It was madness, especially as the descents were zero fun: freezing cold, super dangerous and ON THE ROAD...

If I had a month (and I think I have had them when I've been on MTB trips) where I descended 25,000 vertical meters on a MTB I would be one happy dude.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I gave away my last surfboard a few weeks back...haven't even considered a surf during the past 12 months after 30+ years. Crowds...crowds....and crowds...kind of killed my passion. So sick of arriving at places knowing it was going to be cranking in a few days only to find said places overrun with people and acting like cunts in the water to snavel a wave.

As far as riding goes....I am riding more and more on the road now. Seems a whole lot easier to organize a ride and I'm developing a fetish for the pain the comes from hills. No plans to sell the mtb's just yet though.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
I`ve been surfing for 35 years now and to be honest I was finding it monotonous . Have all the moves and then some but it was same thing every day . The bike became more full time about 5 years ago . The thing for me its always a different ride always new lines and techniques to try - which you do get in the surf . I still surf , but its gotta be perfect , and still surf very well which blows out the local crowd cause they always say " you haven`t surfed in months and you`re still pulling those moves " .
Its not that you throw in the towel , its just changing your focus of what you want to be doing with your spare time . Jump on a board in a month or two , you`ll feel good . I gave away a few but kept 10 as spares .

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Has anyone had the experience of transitioning from road riding to XC?
I did it. I was a non-competitive roadie before I discovered dirt. It's a pretty easy transition, especially if you've already developed the skills from other MTB riding (which I hadn't!); your bike fitness from the will transfer very well to XC.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I gave away my last surfboard a few weeks back...haven't even considered a surf during the past 12 months after 30+ years. Crowds...crowds....and crowds...kind of killed my passion. So sick of arriving at places knowing it was going to be cranking in a few days only to find said places overrun with people and acting like cunts in the water to snavel a wave.
Can definitely relate to that. I'm flogging off my shortboards for the exact same reason. I'll be keeping a log just to get wet on nice sunny days when the surf isn't that great and there are no other takers. I just got sick of getting excited for good waves only to be frustrated by ridiculous crowds, including parents who would take days off work (if they even worked) and pulled their punk kids out of school for the day cos the surf was pumping. Like seriously WTF give me a break haha.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

As far as riding goes....I am riding more and more on the road now. Seems a whole lot easier to organize a ride and I'm developing a fetish for the pain the comes from hills. No plans to sell the mtb's just yet though.
I got sick of arranging my gear, rocking up, and...shit conditions. Crowds were never too much of an issue (strange given this is a biggish town with only a few beaches). It turned out trails were much more reliable...

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got sick of arranging my gear, rocking up, and...shit conditions. Crowds were never too much of an issue (strange given this is a biggish town with only a few beaches). It turned out trails were much more reliable...
+1 to that. Not quite 3 years ago I finally cracked it with that bloody southerly sweep you'd know only too well, gave it up for bikes with engines and haven't looked back.

I'd also been off mountain bikes for the better part of 2-3 years, bought myself a new mountain bike last summer and am as stoked with it now as I've ever been. I'm a proponent of the keeping/hoarding, as it's a safer option than having to buy the gear again when you realise you miss the activity a year or two down the track. But hey, I'm still a student. If I had a bit more disposable income perhaps I'd be more open to the idea of repurchasing.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
+1 to that. Not quite 3 years ago I finally cracked it with that bloody southerly sweep you'd know only too well, gave it up for bikes with engines and haven't looked back.

I'd also been off mountain bikes for the better part of 2-3 years, bought myself a new mountain bike last summer and am as stoked with it now as I've ever been. I'm a proponent of the keeping/hoarding, as it's a safer option than having to buy the gear again when you realise you miss the activity a year or two down the track. But hey, I'm still a student. If I had a bit more disposable income perhaps I'd be more open to the idea of repurchasing.
I didn't even swim in the ocean last summer. Not even once up to my knees. I swam once in my sister's pool.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I tried surfing and hated it for the very reasons you describe. I took up wavesailing, which is so much better as you mostly get a wave to yourself (except in places like Maui where it can be a shit fight) and when you're done you just sail back out and catch another one. Only frustrating thing is that you need the perfect combination of swell and wind (and right direction) to really rock it down the line.