Fast Suspension

heavyp

You heard it here first
From the Pike 2014 review "Despite outward similarities to the DLC and Black Gold extra-slippery coatings seen on various pro riders’ BlackBox development forks, the black finish on the upper legs is a purely cosmetic anodizing."

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/rockshox-pike-suspension-fork-first-look-36937/
Ah fair call, maybe they will be standard like pike or maybe on the world cups they will give they Black Gold a run have to wait a see a few more weeks.

RockShox BoXXer World Cup, BlackGold Stanchions
"The super exclusive S-Works Demo 8 Team Replica is also spec'd with a very BlackBox-esque, custom RockShox BoXXer World Cup fork. The 5.9lb fork's black stanchions look to be the same as the DLC (diamond-like carbon ) coated tubes used by the very select BlackBox development program, which is about half true. It's no secret that the ultra slippery DLC treatment also happened to be ultra expensive, and it was for this and other reasons that the DLC touch was actually scrapped from the program at the end of last year. Instead, you'll see select World Cup riders sporting this new, but still black, stanchion tube anodizing process with a proprietary additive that RockShox calls ''BlackGold''. So, yes it is BlackBox. No, it isn't the actual DLC coating. We've tinkered with a BlackGold treated fork and it felt impressively friction-free, but have yet to actually put proper time on one. Rumor is that it actually comes very close to mimicking the exceedingly slippery feel of DLC, but can be applied easier and for a much more reasonable cost. This leads us to believe that we'll see the BlackGold anodizing process applied to more production forks than just that of the S-Works Demo 8 Team Replica, but it is still likely a full season away. Want BlackGold? The S-Works Demo is going to be the only place that you'll see if for quite some time."

morticus

Likes Dirt
What changed your mind?
I have always wanted 40s, so i guess anything less would have always had me wondering. Ever since watching THE COLLECTIVE and ROAM my ultimate bike has been a demo 8 with 40s. I Managed to find some that will match the bike perfectly as well, and although aesthetics don't mean much when it comes to performance, I like it to look different from the rest of the pack.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Not sure if its just a world champs thing to help some of the riders get and extra edge but i have seen non blackbox riders with blackbox fork aka Black stanchions (And prob more happening inside)

Riders usually get onto the Blackbox program if they make the podium, but could this be a sign that everyone will be getting Black stanchions in the near future as there are rumours it will happen for some of the 2014 range boxxers.

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
could just be colour coded etc as we all know bikes go into full custom colours etc around world champs time but asa you said there are rumours of blackbox "expanding" so to speak

Satellite1

Likes Bikes
They really have no choice IMO, from a marketing perspective at least, unless they want to let FOX walk away with the game. I would expect the new Charger damper and black stanchion treatment at the very least. Not sure how much further the weight can go down without resorting to exotic materials, but as it stands now, their traditional weight advantage has evaporated with the release of the Float 40.

Given the massive resources available to SRAM, I think they'll pull something tasty out of the bag for 2014!