Fat arse DHer

brettjon

Likes Bikes
Hey lads,

Weighing in at about 115kg these days, is it easy to source springs to support this weight for DH riding??

Cheers!

BW

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
itd be easy mate, im probably 95kg in riding gear and i normally use between 350 and 450 depending on suspension design. you can normally get up to 550 without too much drama

scblack

Leucocholic
Russthedog is right I reckon. I weigh 90kg with armour etc on, and I'm running just a 350 spring.

You should be fine.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'm 110kg and use a 450 in a Fox DHX 4. I've never bottomed the shock, I have awesome amounts of grip and my bikes are in great condition. Maybe I don't ride hard enough? Maybe I'm smooth? Maybe I'm just good on maintenance? Either way, your air pressure is crucial to setting your shock up correctly but a good place to start is the correct spring.

kinga

Likes Dirt
What shocks r u running mate?
I am 110 and was running 888 forks and DHX rear shock and have the springs from them lying around here if that helps, green fork springs and 550 or 600lb rer spring
I am now running boxxers and rockshox Vivid rear shock and had the springs changed at the shop before i bought it, no problems and running them fine

cfk

Likes Bikes
[SUB][/SUB]Anything is better then swinger dude...go for rc4 sooo much better than dhx5

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Aaaahhmm... I'm about 85kg and was wondering if it's bad to put in a 600lb spring on a DH/FR bike on my build. I like my ride a bit firm as I'm using a Manitou Swinger 4 unlike Gunzee's Fox DHX 5 with pro pedal.

moorey

call me Mia
Huge difference in spring rate requirements, depending on suspension type. I'm 80kg, and had something like 550 in an older norco I had, 450 in my old 222 (bought new), and I think theres 350 in my DH Rocky mountain (again, and older bike ive had since new). Even at 550 on the old Norco 4 bar linkage, I can remember it being plenty soft, and I was 10kg lighter back then :tape:

HAR

Likes Bikes
Won't be a problem mate. I'm also 115kg and was using 500lb and 550lb springs on my old Giant no worries, you'll be fine.