Fat Bikes

fletchog

Likes Dirt
My 2 cents.

I really really really fail to see the appeal of these bikes.

Tr la la
I live at the beach and my fatbike has opened up all sorts of new places to ride, sand, rocks, reef and beach access stairs make for some fun albeit short decents.
Is also a great training bike as I have to push harder to keep it moving, although once up and running you have awesome cornering traction and roll over ability. Have ridden everything I ride my 100mm dually on at the Youies and Surfcoast, some places it is slower others it is actually faster.

I used to own a Surly single speed and was considering building another SS to ride around home and train on, the fatty is far more versatile and Im rapt with it, so much fun

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
I live at the beach and my fatbike has opened up all sorts of new places to ride, sand, rocks, reef and beach access stairs make for some fun albeit short decents.
Is also a great training bike as I have to push harder to keep it moving, although once up and running you have awesome cornering traction and roll over ability. Have ridden everything I ride my 100mm dually on at the Youies and Surfcoast, some places it is slower others it is actually faster.

I used to own a Surly single speed and was considering building another SS to ride around home and train on, the fatty is far more versatile and Im rapt with it, so much fun
Do you have a beard?

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
I see them as the new hipster fixies.
Hipster Shmipster..... Whatever.

After a lifetime of riding MTB before MTB was invented, I reckon that fat bikes are the most significant thing to happen to off-road cycling over the past 40 years. If only for the fact that they have significantly broadened the available terrain to ride, exlplore and challenge the rider to develop new riding skill, strength and technique.

Fad, shmad. It's how you use your tools and the fun is just a bonus.

Each of these below are unridable on anything but a fat bike.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Hi George, welcome back! The Muru has done a few KS and next weekend is off on a beach safari for two weeks. Somehow think the Saint calipers and 8" rotors may be a little overkill!

And yes we all have beards...

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Hi George, welcome back! The Muru has done a few KS and next weekend is off on a beach safari for two weeks. Somehow think the Saint calipers and 8" rotors may be a little overkill!
I'm still between fat bikes at the moment and waiting for the new arrivals is dragging on.

You can never have too much brake with a fat bike.....and you should try the Ti fork on sand - especially if you're going for an extended period. Two weeks - OMG, talk about jealous!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
where abouts do you reside....if your down Canberra way, pop in and see Stu at Werks bikes out in Quangers..I think he stocks Diamant bikes - go and take one for a spin

where abouts do you reside....if your down Canberra way, pop in and see Stu at Werks bikes out in Quangers..I think he stocks Diamant bikes - go and take one for a spin
I'm in Hobart at the moment. Will be moving up to Newcastle early next year, so will have to wait until then for a test ride.

I like the Diamant because it's a bit different. The claimed weight is very good, and I love the rims. The shifters put me off a little, I'd prefer grip shifters...

The Specialized looks a bit more flashy. No idea how much it weighs. I really like the Sram shifters and groupset.

I wonder how each would go if a Bluto fork was added. Would the geometry be significantly changed?

frank_n

Likes Dirt
My son has just scored a job on Kangaroo Island, SA as a guide and I was thinking that a fat bike might be a good option for him? Any thoughts on whether a FB would be better than a XC MTB? What bike around 1500-2000 would you recommend?
Cheers. Frank

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
My son has just scored a job on Kangaroo Island, SA as a guide and I was thinking that a fat bike might be a good option for him? Any thoughts on whether a FB would be better than a XC MTB? What bike around 1500-2000 would you recommend?
Cheers. Frank
Wheeler Taurus, but ditch the alu fork and put a set of carver or white carbon forks on it..good spec and will come under $1500

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Cheers. Frank
Let him decide. Suspect that XC would be better all rounder though...especially if it has room for bigger tyres.

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Yes it would be his choice in the end. I just wanted to look at the options, which initially he may not consider. I saw Jason Morrison riding one to good effect and depending on the conditions/where he might ride it 'might' work. It is all conjecture unless he decides a bike is useful - he will get one in his job so it might be moot.

Saron1

Cannon Fodder
Norco sasquatch fatty

Hi, just trying to find out if anyone has ridden a sasquatch.
Also any of the new fatties for comparison with bluto fork.
Cheers