Fat Bikes

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Thats a fair ask ! 24.25lb/11kg will be the lightest fatbike seen yet.
Some back of the envelope...

A 'M' is 28lb (12.7) out of the box...

Salsa Hubs - about 750g, Hope hubs - 580g
Erikson seatpost saves about 100g or so
Selle Italia Saddle - another 100
WCS Carbon Bar - about 200
Brakes (going to XO) - maybe 100?
XO twisties - 100g perhaps?

Thats got me sub 12 without fiddling with lightweight tubes or going tubeless... Save the pennies for a carbon fork and thats another 250g...

Fun :)

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Let's give this thread a tickle.

Well after a lifetime of off-road cycling I never thought that I would experience *that* feeling again. It's a wonderful thing to ride. What a sweeTi from Muru.

and a nice little touch sand blasted onto the frame....

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

Well after a lifetime of off-road cycling I never thought that I would experience *that* feeling again. It's a wonderful thing to ride. What a sweeTi from Muru.
Having now ridden a fat bike (one of these Muru's just with the rigid titanium fork) if only for a few minutes...I am not entirely convinced that they are the right thing for both my body or my part of the country. It was (I have to admit) an absolute blast and I was surprised how light the thing was...and of course the handling was worth killing for. But I don't think I'd bite without trying a 29+ as well.

I just can't help thinking that a 29er frame that'll take a 3" tyre like the Surly Krampus or the Muru Mungo would be an ideal compromise for our flat and tangled terrain...whilst still providing the feel of speed without too much effort from the legs. Plus it may take the transition from the front gate to the terrain with more aplomb....

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Nice one George. A fat bike is on my list. Hope to get one in the next 6 months or so.

Going to be one of these...

View attachment 273781
Nice one!

There are so many new fat bikes out at the moment and choices are staggering. At this point in time I think that one needs to research which rim and tyre combination you want to run and the gearing you need. Each manufacturer has limitations - like my Muru, Bud and Lou tyres on 80mm rims, but not on the 100mm rims - Bonus is I can run 2 x 10 gearing - or 3 x 10 with Larry tyres. Other frames allow the big Bud and Lou on 100mm rims but only on 1 x 11 gearing. We spend so much time riding remote and rough terrain and at my age, need every gear I can get...

Then there's the new breed of frame with 190mm rear hub spacing, up from 135mm on the pugsly, 170mm on my Mukluk and Muru..... It'll take two or three years for things to settle - or when Giant releases a fat bike to define the standard.

Once that's settled, you just need to make sure that you fit the frame ;-)

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Yeah I was wanting to hear back on how to use an Alfine or my Nuvinci in the back of this 170mm wide beast. Can't even get it built around my Pinion gearbox(YET!), waiting to see if they work that one out or an Effigear box.
1209155_537024613034349_855233015_n.jpg

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Having now ridden a fat bike (one of these Muru's just with the rigid titanium fork) if only for a few minutes...I am not entirely convinced that they are the right thing for both my body or my part of the country. It was (I have to admit) an absolute blast and I was surprised how light the thing was...and of course the handling was worth killing for. But I don't think I'd bite without trying a 29+ as well.

I just can't help thinking that a 29er frame that'll take a 3" tyre like the Surly Krampus or the Muru Mungo would be an ideal compromise for our flat and tangled terrain...whilst still providing the feel of speed without too much effort from the legs. Plus it may take the transition from the front gate to the terrain with more aplomb....
I reckon that to depart from traditional MTB configurations you need a reason. We did the fat bike thing for exploring up North in the Kimberley, the Gulf, coastal areas and the Simpson Desert race where a conventional MTB is either too hard or impossible to ride. When you have a hundred km of this ahead, you go fat because you can't even walk it without killing the legs and feet. Every square inch of footprint is to kill for.

If I were considering a new play bike and wanted to experiment with different tyre sizes, I'd go for a quality frame that would support the new breed of 5" wide tyres and good gearing - and then slip whatever wheel/tyre combination in there. A 50mm rim and 3" wide tyres are easy. Have a set of 5" wide wheel/tyre on the side for when you want to play fat. Dead easy to swap and go.

With a quality frame you're not going to have make compromises.

Add a set of good suspension forks and dive under *everyone* else braking into corners - the rougher and rockier the better. It takes seven stabs on the pedals to accelerate out again versus the three stabs on an XC bike - but they will be behind you ;-)

With modern fat bike frames we have an opportunity for great flexibility and I reckon that this is an exciting and unique opportunity in the evolution of off-road cycling.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine will be SS for sure, so I'm a little lucky in that respect, with regard to driveline/tyre clearance, no matter which frame I choose. And it will also be rigid because coming off a very stiff carve with a niner fork, any squish I get from the fat tyres will be pure luxury. The fat bike I get will spend most of its time on my local trails, with the rare beach ride thrown in for giggles. With this in mind, I'm looking for good trail geometry, and that's what led me to the puffin.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I just bought a Rabbit hole 29+ rim and 3" tire to try on my 29er with Carver carbon fork, will post pics when I have it set up in a few weeks.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Mine will be SS for sure, so I'm a little lucky in that respect, with regard to driveline/tyre clearance, no matter which frame I choose. And it will also be rigid because coming off a very stiff carve with a niner fork, any squish I get from the fat tyres will be pure luxury. The fat bike I get will spend most of its time on my local trails, with the rare beach ride thrown in for giggles. With this in mind, I'm looking for good trail geometry, and that's what led me to the puffin.
I avert my gaze down in respect Steve..... Single Speed fat bike. When we rode at Silvan(?) you guys were on single speeds and I thought, "WTF? It's full of hills"... and then you were gone. I was cramping for days.

Yes, respect.

Speaking of single speed, Big Al who finished equal first in last year's Simpson Desert challenge has returned this year to compete single speed. I think that he wants to be the first single speed bicycle to cross the Simpson Desert. Again, resepct.... He's a strong man.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I reckon that to depart from traditional MTB configurations you need a reason. We did the fat bike thing for exploring up North in the Kimberley, the Gulf, coastal areas and the Simpson Desert race where a conventional MTB is either too hard or impossible to ride. When you have a hundred km of this ahead, you go fat because you can't even walk it without killing the legs and feet. Every square inch of footprint is to kill for.

If I were considering a new play bike and wanted to experiment with different tyre sizes, I'd go for a quality frame that would support the new breed of 5" wide tyres and good gearing - and then slip whatever wheel/tyre combination in there. A 50mm rim and 3" wide tyres are easy. Have a set of 5" wide wheel/tyre on the side for when you want to play fat. Dead easy to swap and go.

With a quality frame you're not going to have make compromises.

Add a set of good suspension forks and dive under *everyone* else braking into corners - the rougher and rockier the better. It takes seven stabs on the pedals to accelerate out again versus the three stabs on an XC bike - but they will be behind you ;-)

With modern fat bike frames we have an opportunity for great flexibility and I reckon that this is an exciting and unique opportunity in the evolution of off-road cycling.
Good advice. Truth be told though...this would be a play bike and not much of a traveller - we simply aren't at that stage in our lives. Fats aren't faster than any other bike on our trails either...just different...and I already have a race bike. And there's plenty of niche bikes in the shed to play with already that don't get enough ride time. I can afford to wait and try rather than simply try and wait.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks George, but it's more a case of necessity for me. My brain can't process information quick enough to use gears.

Oh, and I do like the look of that Nicolai.:love: Probably very expensive though.:mmph:

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I`m eyeing off the Surly Moonlander myself.
Hey, I`m allowed to dream.
Nothing wrong with the Moonie. Good choice if you want the biggest tyres out there. Leaning towards the On-One Fatty again myself. I just can't seem to get past the bundle deal of wheels/tyres/frame/fork for less than the price of the singular frame/fork. Sure I'll need a $200+ eccentric bottom bracket, but I'll still be in front doing that than if I bought just the wheels & tyres from On-One and paired them up with the Puffin.

Specialized Fatboy looks cool too.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Just curious to hear from you fat bikes enthusiast.

what is the draw to these bikes vs other bikes? Iv never really understood or even read much about the fat bike and sitting at home on a sat night I got curious to hear from you guys about why you choose them, what do they offer that others don't and for curiosity sake what does a tire and wheel set weigh on these bad boys. Iv always liked the look of them but never understood the draw. (beside the obvious sand and snow)

Enlighten me on your love for these machines.

Also iv never seen one of these in a worldcup style race is there a particular reason for this, is it a lack of necessity due to trails?