Fat Bikes

OKA

Squid
9zero7 with Nuvinci

I am the 'mate' with the 9zero7 and nuvinci hub. They have a very good reliability record. I am stoked with the way you always have drive, no waiting for gear change. This is great on sand where you don't want to lose any momentum. The only down side of the Nuvinci is its not quite low enough ratio wise. I've never riden a bike with a Rohloff so don't know how quick the gear change is. I believe
9zero7 have changed their standard build to the Rohloff to get the lower gearing. The price went up about $1000 though!!!

Hey Stuggles' there was method in my madness letting you ride my bike. I didn't want to be the only bloke in a big town having fun riding a fatty! Stoked you are getting one.
Interested to know how the Nuvinci goes in the long term, was tossing up between that and the Rohloff. Ended up with the Rohloff as it's been around for ages and has a great reputation.

Running a charge spoon saddle, they're cheap and seem to fit my arse shape just right. Saddles are one of those weird things. What works for one person won't always work for another, so went with something familiar and reliable (and already had lying around).

Good news is with the amount of improvement shown on the injury front, should hopefully be able to take it out for it's maiden voyage this weekend :pray:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I've had a Rohloff, Alfine 11, use a couple of Alfine 8s, Sturmey 8 and a Nuvinci(also have Pinion but not used it yet(hurry up Nicolai!)).
The Nuvinci for the money(about $350) is awesome. But not an efficient high performer, but I don't care. It feels squishy like walking on frogs, I'd imagine with a fat bike this would feel like moon riding, but again, I don't care, they're good enough. Shifting on the Nuvvinci although it feels different as there's no clicks, is no faster/slower than any of the others IMO, you still ideally need to soft pedal for a brief second for an easy shift. Although I guess you can force it under load a little bit easier maybe. But again, negligible amount. For the money I'd encourage anyone to get a Nuvinci. But no the range isn't huge. I'm sure you could google it. Guessing it's close to the Alfine 8s range.
I currently have my Nuvinci in my barstadized do everything bike(Mongoose EC 4x), it's set up for my 9 month old baby with either baby seat on steerer tube or towing a baby trailer. I'm not sure how much it costs me in energy, but I can climb everything(footpath wise) on it with baby up front or behind with MTB tyres. It does feel weird, but nice in a funny organic way.
In short, for reliability, cost, ease of use, low maintenance get a Nuvinci. If you have the bucks, want wider gearing range better efficiency, get a Rohloff.
What size tyres are on that Nuvinci bike? Is it 135mm rear?

OKA

Squid
Can you switch in a different, i.e. bigger, rear cog on the Nuvinci? That'll compensate and give you a lower gear range.
Nuvinci recommend a maximum chainring/rear cog ratio I think to limit the torque thru the hub. I cant remember what it is but its currently set up with 42/26. I might try a smaller ring up front but that will also mean a new gates belt.

OKA

Squid
I've had a Rohloff, Alfine 11, use a couple of Alfine 8s, Sturmey 8 and a Nuvinci(also have Pinion but not used it yet(hurry up Nicolai!)).
The Nuvinci for the money(about $350) is awesome. But not an efficient high performer, but I don't care. It feels squishy like walking on frogs, I'd imagine with a fat bike this would feel like moon riding, but again, I don't care, they're good enough. Shifting on the Nuvvinci although it feels different as there's no clicks, is no faster/slower than any of the others IMO, you still ideally need to soft pedal for a brief second for an easy shift. Although I guess you can force it under load a little bit easier maybe. But again, negligible amount. For the money I'd encourage anyone to get a Nuvinci. But no the range isn't huge. I'm sure you could google it. Guessing it's close to the Alfine 8s range.
I currently have my Nuvinci in my barstadized do everything bike(Mongoose EC 4x), it's set up for my 9 month old baby with either baby seat on steerer tube or towing a baby trailer. I'm not sure how much it costs me in energy, but I can climb everything(footpath wise) on it with baby up front or behind with MTB tyres. It does feel weird, but nice in a funny organic way.
In short, for reliability, cost, ease of use, low maintenance get a Nuvinci. If you have the bucks, want wider gearing range better efficiency, get a Rohloff.
What size tyres are on that Nuvinci bike? Is it 135mm rear?
Tyres are 4 inch and yes its a 135mm rear end which requires offset wheel. That is the issue with all the internal geared hubs that they are 135mm. I'm pretty sure they are all a fixed nutted axle which makes it difficult to adapt to 170/190mm frames. Although I do have some ideas.

notime

Likes Dirt
$2999 so only $400 more than the US.

Far less of a mark up than a Pugsley or Mukluk
Thanks, that is pretty reasonable. Now to find someone that makes a PF30 Eccentric BB that fits it for SS.

Would I be right in thinking the Fatboy is going to be the lightest Fat available in Australia?

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Is it lighter than this Nicolai frame at 2.3kg?
I should hope so. Nicolais have never been light - awesomely tough, yes, light - no!

For reference, the Muru Witjira (ti) is about 1750g. The latest carbon fatties are about 1100-1200 grams.

The Fatboy is certainly at the lighter end of the spectrum for a complete fat bike although the Murus would have to be close.

I have a Muru on order and am expecting it to be about 14kg with a Lefty up front, 80mm rims and big fuckoff (4.8") tyres.

No Skid Marks

I should hope so. Nicolais have never been light - awesomely tough, yes, light - no!

For reference, the Muru Witjira (ti) is about 1750g. The latest carbon fatties are about 1100-1200 grams.

The Fatboy is certainly at the lighter end of the spectrum for a complete fat bike although the Murus would have to be close.

I have a Muru on order and am expecting it to be about 14kg with a Lefty up front, 80mm rims and big fuckoff (4.8") tyres.
Wow they're getting light. What ones of those are offered in Australia? That;s what I was replying too.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Wow they're getting light. What ones of those are offered in Australia? That;s what I was replying too.
Muru are an Aussie brand based near Sydney. They supported the SDBC in a big way this year and are a great crew.

The Spesh should be available from any Spesh dealer I would think - but not for a while.

There's also Surly, obviously (although the distributor has changed recently and I gather stock has been a major problem), and Norco and Trek are now doing complete fatties but I'm not sure of their availability in Aus.

On-One also do a very reasonably priced fatty and ship to Aus.

And then there's the boutique guys - 9zero7, Fatback, Borealis etc. Probably heaps of others.

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Who is offering a Lefty Fat Tire hub and wider stance Lefty crown bracings?

Wouldn't have thought a normal front hub/crown bracings would have enough width to keep a Fat Tire from rubbing the lone lefty stanchion?

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Who is offering a Lefty Fat Tire hub and wider stance Lefty crown bracings?

Wouldn't have thought a normal front hub/crown bracings would have enough width to keep a Fat Tire from rubbing the lone lefty stanchion?
A Fat Lefty needs offset clamps - made by a guy in the states called Mendon Cycle Smith for any Lefty with removable clamps. Also available from RLC Sport in Aus. The carbon Leftys with bonded clamps can apparently have them machined off and have different clamps (NOT the MCS clamps) bolted on but this is a more elaborate project.

Standard Lefty hub but offset drilling in the rim.

BTW - there are now a few factory options for fat squish, notably the Eyre fork from Salted bikes. It's a single crown USD type thing. Tyre choice is slightly limited with these forks though.

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Thanks for all the info Brisney.
Have lots of internal geared hubs and an old White Brothers UD 150 dying to get on a fat bike.

Toughy

Likes Bikes
Global Fatbike Day

Hey all, don't forget that Sat 7 December is Global Fatbike Day.

So get out there on your fatty and make the most of it, not that you really need an excuse.

struggles

Likes Dirt
Hey all, don't forget that Sat 7 December is Global Fatbike Day.

So get out there on your fatty and make the most of it, not that you really need an excuse.
Still waiting on mine so went out and got photos of my mate riding his.