Fat Bikes

poita

Likes Dirt
A mate has the wheeler Taurus. Loves it, and it is pretty amazing for the price. I can't seem to see them on the site anymore though, they might have sold out?

RDH

Likes Dirt
Tested a Fat Boy at Stromlo today as part of the Specialized demo day. Holy sh!t it was fun. Best main trunk loop descent I have had in ages.

My riding pal felt differently. But what does he know.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
what model Fatboy..what colour decals?.
awesome fun hey!...I have just got back from my first time out at Awaba with the fatty, so much fun
can't wait to get back down to Canberra to try mine out at Strommers!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Im on my 3rd fatty in 3 years and have just entered the Simpson Desert Bike Challenge this year again, the most awesome event ever... have you ever driven a 4WD across the Simpson Desert... "Nah, Ive rode it on a bloody push bike"

You wanna see the jaws dropping.

Menangler

Cannon Fodder
if you know this man, maybe see if he wants to do a review on the Taurus..i couldn't find any feedback on this model, but there is a few on the lower specced steel Savannah. seems a bit weird that more people were going for the steely at only $100 bucks less than the Alu framed Taurus, and the Savannah has a straight 1 1/8 steerer so no bluto for later on!
hope he is happy with it, I bet his wallet is most happiest!.
Hi guys, yes I am that man in the yellow jersey with the Taurus.

I'm not very good at revues, I'll probably crap on a bit, but here goes.

I bought my Taurus in October last year, cost me $999.00 plus freight, I have covered close to 1000 Ks on it, mostly beach riding, bit of road riding (to get to the beach) and a bit on the local bush tracks around Nowra, I am very happy with it, it comes with some reasonable gear as listed on the spec sheet, the tyres it comes with are great in the sand and on the road but lack in the dirt, bike weighs 16kg so is a little heavy compared to other more expensive fat bikes, I have not found this to be a problem, I just ride it as hard as I can.

I have had a couple of problems, the rear hub pawl and spring went rusty inside causing the pawl spring to brake, no drive for a bit, I had to pull it apart and replace the spring and clean and lube everything, I suspect it wasn't lubed from the factory. I had the chain snap on me, I was mashing the pedals hard at the time but it's not a quality chain and it does work hard on the beach with all the sand so kind of expected to replace it soon anyhow. I do clean and lube the bike after every beach ride, as you'd know sand gets everywhere.

All up I am very happy with it, I didn't want to spend a lot on a bike to flog up and down the beach, the Taurus seemed like the best deal at the time. I have ridden it a lot more than I thought, especially on the road (I am usually a road rider) Oh and I love the standard seat, I have ridden for 3 hours straight a few times no sore bum! Happy with that.

It is a shame they are currently out of stock, I'd buy another one for my son if they weren't, however with the falling Aussie dollar I think they will be more than $999.00.

Ok that's it, better check the tides for tomorrow.
Dave.

Last edited:

ongwooijin

Likes Bikes
Tested a Fat Boy at Stromlo today as part of the Specialized demo day. Holy sh!t it was fun. Best main trunk loop descent I have had in ages.

My riding pal felt differently. But what does he know.
I was there as well! Flew in intending to spend a weekend exploring the trails but got treated to a Demo Day. Spent the morning on the Fatty too. Could not stop smiling from ear to ear. Had so much fun. I want one so badly.

Attachments

These thing look like a bunch of fun. Ive never had the chance to ride one though.

Anyone have one they care to lend me for an hour in SE melbourne?
I ride Lysterfield regularly and we can swap bikes on the tracks. I have a trance X 29er.

Ive been secretly eyeing off the Norco Sasquatch. Fit it up as 120mm Bluto. BAM! Fun machine.

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Recently had my frame replaced under warranty and decided a fresh build was in order.

18" Frame (ill call it Series2, because it has the new design seat post tube with double butting and thicker gauge tubing)
Shinamo SLX rear mech with OneUP RADr cage
Shimano XT cassette with OneUP 42t ring
Raceface NW32T front ring
Raceface RiDE cranks
Shimano SLX brakes f&r with 203mm rotors
Shimano SLX shifter with Ispec mount
FUNN Fatboy bars with Strynge 80mm stem
OnOne Carbon Fatty fork
OnOne Smoothie Mixer headset
ESI grips
Origin8 At-Pro80-Ul 80mm rims
Surly rim strips
OnOne Floater Orange tyres
HOPE Fatsno red hubs

DJR

Likes Dirt
Recently had my frame replaced under warranty and decided a fresh build was in order.

18" Frame (ill call it Series2, because it has the new design seat post tube with double butting and thicker gauge tubing)
Shinamo SLX rear mech with OneUP RADr cage
Shimano XT cassette with OneUP 42t ring
Raceface NW32T front ring
Raceface RiDE cranks
Shimano SLX brakes f&r with 203mm rotors
Shimano SLX shifter with Ispec mount
FUNN Fatboy bars with Strynge 80mm stem
OnOne Carbon Fatty fork
OnOne Smoothie Mixer headset
ESI grips
Origin8 At-Pro80-Ul 80mm rims
Surly rim strips
OnOne Floater Orange tyres
HOPE Fatsno red hubs

Someone call Ronald mc donald, you've stolen his bike

Can you get an orange seat as well?

It looks cool, in a weird kinda way.

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Someone call Ronald mc donald, you've stolen his bike

Can you get an orange seat as well?

It looks cool, in a weird kinda way.
Yet to find an orange seat but have changed the seat in pix back to a more normal MTB seat. Ronald has red shoes by the way!

Last edited:

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you ridden 1x on soft sand? Would love to run the Muru 1x but granny keeps being used.

I ride a mix of soft sand and low tide beach sand, almost every Friday morning. The 1x has been flawless especially with the OneUP cage/ring combo.

I should also mention Tippos Cycles in Bomaderry did the build-up including the wheel build. Awesome shop.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Have you ridden 1x on soft sand? Would love to run the Muru 1x but granny keeps being used.
I ran 1 x 10 (32 × 11-36) for the Simpson. Also all the training leading up to it, Adelaide beaches, Border Track ect..

Have recently fitted a wolftooth GC42 to the bike so now I have an real easy option. Anyway, tyre pressure, tyre width and tyre choice is way more important than your gearing for soft sand.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I ride a mix of soft sand and low tide beach sand, almost every Friday morning. The 1x has been flawless especially with the OneUP cage/ring combo.

I should also mention Tippos Cycles in Bomaderry did the build-up including the wheel build. Awesome shop.
how much pull-down and clean is involved in a beach cruise..am keen, but trying to find the time at the end of a ride to do a full strip down and clean would take the shine off!