Fat Bikes

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I did a two week beach camp before Christmas and rode fat every day, sometimes many times. After each beach run I gave the whole bike a fresh water wash down and that was it. When we arrived back home I did a full strip down. Bike too. Mostly clean but places like cranks and cassette still harboured some sandy pooh. No damage though. No rust and it may have ridden through some brackish washouts etc. So the wash down was very effective at preventing pregnancy.

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agree with Dales.

just a wash down with MucOff and fresh water. Good flush of all the hubs and BB, wipe/dry down after, zip some White Lightning Clean Ride lube on the chain AND park it.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Here's the vid I shot on the 2015 Simpson Desert Bike Challenge, was a hard year but absolutely awesome event yet again. Well done to all who got 100% !

1080HD available.

[video=youtube_share;8Kopgkf48BM]https://youtu.be/8Kopgkf48BM[/video]

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Dunno, but saw a used one on gumtree for 300 was tempted to buy it and if it was shit convert to e fat bike. 400 new is insane!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

I am going to try an experiment. I have Snowshoe XLs which just fit in the frame and fork so they are the biggest I can run. I am going to slice the knobs off to make some dedicated sand tyres. I was down to 4/6 psi for some of the sand tracks. Crazy soft.

spiderpig

Likes Dirt
thought on the latest offering by reid ?
Look pretty good and for $1000 clams makes it very affordable for someone just to have in the shed for a play/beach camping bike. But only one frame size?

Has anyone had much success in fitting generic rear racks, like a topeak touring one for example to a fatbike?

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not too badly spec'd either, all the power to reid cycles.
I recently acquired one of these, the Zeus. There are different frame sizes available. I was half way through building up a fat bike frame and thought for AUD$1000.00 it could be cheaper to just buy a complete bike (I had already paid over $1000 just for a used frame/fork and new wheels to be built). It is a reasonable weight and decent spec for the price. I've fitted an XT rear derailleur, a set of XT brakes, a set of Maxxis Mammoth tyres, a Truvativ Holzfeller stem and bar combo, Shimano XT pedals and some Oury lock on grips. I have named mine Piglet. Pretty much built this for riding in soft sand but the first and only time I have used it on single track it was quite fun.

EDIT: I miss having a dropper post so that may be another addition sometime.

Last edited:

cracker

Likes Dirt
I recently acquired one of these, the Zeus. There are different frame sizes available. I was half way through building up a fat bike frame and thought for AUD$1000.00 it could be cheaper to just buy a complete bike (I had already paid over $1000 just for a used frame/fork and new wheels to be built). It is a reasonable weight and decent spec for the price. I've fitted an XT rear derailleur, a set of XT brakes, a set of Maxxis Mammoth tyres, a Truvativ Holzfeller stem and bar combo, Shimano XT pedals and some Oury lock on grips. I have named mine Piglet. Pretty much built this for riding in soft sand but the first and only time I have used it on single track it was quite fun.

EDIT: I miss having a dropper post so that may be another addition sometime.
yeah i picked up a new zues for $900 the other day let you know how it goes.
ill throw some better brakes on it ESI grips and xt rear derailer, see how it goes from there.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Happy with the purchase I made here this week:

Spent today doing a full overhaul. Aside from a shagged 2x10 drivetrain (which still works fine, but needs a chain/cassette combo) & stuff BB bearings, it's a beaut.

Fork's running at 120mm in a non-suspension-corrected frame so will likely drop the travel to 80mm. But it's handling ok now...will see what happens.

Will likely sell off the dropper, the frame is small-ish for my anyway. Very happy with the bonus Cane Creek 110 headset ;-)

Last edited:

nzdans

Likes Dirt
That looks like a bit of fun! I don't think I'd want any less than 100mm of travel on mine so will be interested to see how quickly you lower your Blutos..

Here's my new boat anchor holidaying with me in NZ.. Not quite the standard spec build, has XO drivetrain, Guide RS brakes, Henge saddle, Enve bars and running tubeless (14.5kg incl. pedals in extra jumbo size)...

Last edited: