Fat tyres

chunkyapple

Sherlock Pommes
Is there any love for them anymore? I know that weight is a big factor and rolling resistance comes into play as well but surely there must be benefits for fat tyres too? I'm not talking of the times where 24" wheels and 3" gazzaloddis were the norm. But I'm even seeing a lack of 2.5-2.7" tyres. What's the reason? Forgive my ignorance if it is more obvious than I thought. I have been away from the DH game for a little bit but just recently got a carbon Demo and getting back into it. Any of you run big rubber? Show us photos!

Also are there any decent wide tyres that don't weigh a ton? Any recommendations?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I'm on 2.5 considering upping to 2.7. 40mm rims don't let the tires curve too much for cornering traction.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Pretty much everyone is running 2.5's. And for the most part, always have...

chunkyapple

Sherlock Pommes
Maybe it's just what I have seen a lot of, seems like 2.35 was ruling the field but maybe I am just tripping. Who makes a decent weight 2.7" tyre these days?

Ideate

I run 2.7 minion on the front but apparently it's the equivalent of some other 2.5 brands. There mustn't be any real advantages over 2.5 so that's why no one makes them.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Is there any manufacturer making a wide tyre for 35-40mm rims yet? I'm thinking it will be 2.5 to 2.8" wide with smaller knobbies.

I know maxxis have a prototype currently being tested, and schwable have there plus tyres coming soon, but I havent seen anything you can purchase now.

from PinkBikep5pb12516846.jpg

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I run 2.7 minion on the front but apparently it's the equivalent of some other 2.5 brands. There mustn't be any real advantages over 2.5 so that's why no one makes them.
That's a 2.7? Wot.
It looks mighty close to my 2.35!

jarrod839

Banned
Magic mary's 27.5 x 2.5

Hi all.

Anyone know if any retailers online or local have any in stock as the usual places i buy from are sold out.

Found a few in the states but postage was expensive.

If anyone comes across any in there travels let me know.

Thanks.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Maybe it's just what I have seen a lot of, seems like 2.35 was ruling the field but maybe I am just tripping. Who makes a decent weight 2.7" tyre these days?
Probably more due to the fact that most companies 2.35" tyres are roughly the same width or wider than the minion 2.5", which would be considers the benchmark of downhill tyres. If you look at the tyres they are probably much the same in actual profile

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Is there any manufacturer making a wide tyre for 35-40mm rims yet? I'm thinking it will be 2.5 to 2.8" wide with smaller knobbies.

I know maxxis have a prototype currently being tested, and schwable have there plus tyres coming soon, but I havent seen anything you can purchase now.

from PinkBikeView attachment 317626
that looks like the Maxxis Aggressor, which is available now solely in 27.5x2.3