Fear

how do all you guys get around that small thing you feel before you try something big that you've never done before? an ideas on how to get over that 'i'm going to die off this' feeling? i'm fine on the ground, its just jumps and the height you can get that scares me

S.

ex offender
Accept that you ARE going to get hurt, and be pleasantly surprised the 99% of times that you don't.

so far i must have been lucky. i don't fall off that often and most of the time its is something stupid (doesn't everyone), like trying to be a dickhead, not trying to go bigger or faster.

Ty

Eats Squid
ride with people that are better than you, when you see what can be done you are more inclined to step up.

yeah when i do ride, which is not much lately to much work and school, i go to club and lindsay and michael and jared (when he is home) go there to so i don't have to worry about that.

skillz

Likes Dirt
i tried these 14-15 stairs today.. i was aiming to jump at least 5 of it and land further down and i made it.

any times when you guys were really scared, tried and then bailed off the takeoff etc and then crashed in a big heap? always wanted to see someone do that

S.

ex offender
Mr Mister said:
any times when you guys were really scared, tried and then bailed off the takeoff etc and then crashed in a big heap? always wanted to see someone do that
Never tried anything that I was scared of and killed myself... every time I stack it's cos of stupidity/overconfidence.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
only time i stacks when im being retarded or when im not confident about something
i dont think theres anything u can do about the fear, just take a few deep breaths and go for it

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
i have a simple philosophy... hit it before you think about it.... unless of course you dont think you have a chance in hell of making it...

Tom

Likes Bikes
Pana said:
i have a simple philosophy... hit it before you think about it.... unless of course you dont think you have a chance in hell of making it...

Thats the best way, dont let it psych you out.

Mason

Likes Dirt
This works very good, i use it for when i huck stuff.

Ride up to it a few times, the first time stopping, then 2md time stopping closer to the edge, then continiue until you are comfortable with what you are doing. Then in the end, just don't use the binders and sail off it.

Happy trails

NoeFFeX

Likes Bikes
I usually have a couple of ride up runs before I hit something big. But I also try to block fear out when I'm about to do something, because if you are not confident then you have alot higher chance of messing things up.

All of the other points that the other guys have said are definitely true: riding with mates and riding with better riders.

perfor8r

Likes Dirt
I try and see myself do it a few times in my head before I go...if i can't see it in my head then I'll back off and save it for another day.
There's been a few times where I've stepped up without thinking and just cained myself!

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ty said:
ride with people that are better than you, when you see what can be done you are more inclined to step up.
sometimes the opposite helps too, ride with a guys that are crapper and you get a big hit of confidence!

Just think about all the times you tried something that scared you, it usully works out right and you don't really get hurt too bad... so just do it...

Ryan

Radministrator
I'm with Pana, if I stare down a line / jump / drop whatever for more than a minute chances are it won't get done that day. Think about it for too long and your mind invents progressively worse "worst case scenarios", psyching yourself out sucks.