feedback on Xtension Xplore frames?

LoveB

Likes Dirt
hey all, I'm looking at purchasing an Xtension Xplore frame from beno (cycle solutions) next week cause my current HT frame is too big for me. Plus he gave me a good price on it..

It wont come with a rear shock so I'm looking for something to put on..

Also, when transferring parts from an HT to an FS frame, what should I look out for? are all the parts compatible? I remember reading somewhere that I need to find a specific FD/RD for an FS frame or something...

The parts I've got on the HT arent really high end. But it'll to for now while I save monies to upgrade it. Thanks!!

oh if its in the wrong section please move it... Just posted it here as he said it's a trail/AM frame.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
i bought one a few months ago and havn't quite finished it up yet (very close now, but not quite) so i cant give you a ride report on it. what i can say though, is that it seems like quite a well built frame. quality welds, well placed reinforcements and a really nice finish. it looks like it will hanfdle just about anything but its also going to be a fairly heavy frame (i did neglect to weigh it before i started.

heres a review from someone that probably knows better than me: http://www.formosanfattire.com/ledge/azonic_saber_xtension_xplore_full_review.htm

and be sure to grab whetever else you can from beno aswell, the prices are dead cheap for quality gear like that, well worth the effort to look through his site for anything you can use on the build.

with compatibility... thats going to depend on what you have. the xplore uses a standard headset so if you have integrated or semi-integrated, it wont swap over. also, check your fork steerer length, you'll need about 200mm (possibly 190mm depending on headset/stem). you'll almost certainly need new gear cables as its pretty rare to find outers that match prefectly and the ends of your current inners will be stuffed when you remove them. if you have post mount rear brakes you'll need a new rear brake adapter as its IS mount on the xplore and if you are running V brakes you'll need to switch to discs. rear derailluer should be fine but theres a few different configs of front ones, no idea what you have but i'm pretty sure you'll need a 34.5mm clamp top pull (high or low mount should be fine). and your seatpost, you'll need a 31.6mm post with a 34.5mm clamp...

i hope it hasn't put you off, cos its a great from for the dollars, but there will be a few extra purchases when swapping things over unfortunately.

LoveB

Likes Dirt
my HT is pretty heavy.. its a diamondback zetec lol. So I'm fairly sure the xplore woudl be better even if its older. I may sell my HT whole then just build up the xplore from ground up. It'll take time but it should be ok. The two things stopping me at the moment is 1. my HT hasnt sold so no monies to buy the frame yet lol 2. I'm meant to get my cousins remedy 8 off of him. So I'm unsure which to get at the moment

BTW

While I'm still looking for parts, could I use a 100mm fork on it for now?

Last edited:

LoveB

Likes Dirt

Arent the xplore's the same as the sabers??

what to do what to do!!! lol plus my cousin is offering me his remedy 8!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
since i have one in my garage, thats not something i want to see... mind you, i imagine there might be more to the story than a catastrauphic frame failure after hitting a small bump. possibly a mistreated frame? forks wrong for the frame? (it looks like its running DH forks there) bottom out problems causing big jolts that the frame shouldn't be receiving?

anyways, i'm going to remain positive, the frame looks the goods to me and i'm sure you could bring up a fair set of cracked frame photos from pretty much any given frame.

LoveB

Likes Dirt
I think they used those for freeriding.

I'm just gonna use it for XC mostly. So it should be alright. Plus with the price beno is giving the frame even if it does that in the long run I reckon I should be fine. I mean, my bike before whatever I get next was some cheapo HT. and it survived. lol

I'm picking mine up thursday I think. Gonna put my cheapo parts on it first. :eek:

btw could you give info on your build? I need to get a rear shock and a BB/crankset as i dont have one.. I'm just gonna use a 100mm front fork for now till I get a better one

Last edited:

LoveB

Likes Dirt
btw was told the frame is the 2nd gen one with a 3rd gen is link. picking it up tomorrow. Cant wait!!