Fiji Travel Advice

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Anyone have any family friendly travel advice for Fiji? Something off the mainland with nice beaches. We'll be traveling with a <1 year old as well, we've heard that Fiji is family friendly, but any advice with positive stories about island resorts would be great.

Thanks!

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive been twice, its a great country and very family friendly. Ive stayed at Plantation Island, Treasure Island and the Shangrila Fijian (on the mainland).

Out of these Id highly reccomend Treasure Island. My Uncle and Aunty also took their family there and they loved it! It is a must to go to the outer islands and the smaller the better IMO. You want to get away from big resorts full of bogan Aussies.

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
I went in April last year on my honeymoon. If you have an unlimited budget... hit up http://www.likulikulagoon.com/ I spent a week here and it is heaven on earth. The best food and the best staff! (sorry, just read you have a baby... this is a couple only resort) There are a couple of other resorts on this island owned by the same people http://www.maloloisland.com/

After that I headed back to the main land to the Intercontinental which is an hour away from the airport. Do a google and you will find the site. This place was awesome as well! The beach was beautiful... the food and beer was good!

If you end up going to the Intercontinental, make sure you sign up for a Priority Privelages card. It will give you a handful of vouchers and a couple of free nights accommodation and 50% off all meals and drinks. I think it is $280 for the card, but it pays for itself before you even go.

Stay away from all the resorts at Denaru Island. They are nice... but the beaches are all man made and the sand is a dirty colour. This is where you will find most of the aussie bogans on their cheap package deal holidays.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been to the Shargri-La Fijiian twice and Plantation island.
I seriously rate the Shangri-La, got married there and would go back in a heartbeat. (and probably will in 6 months or so)
There is plenty to do with 3 pools etc and snorkelling, kayaking etc right off the beach.
We found if you spend a little bit more and get the ocean view rooms (as opposed to lagoon view) it's a little quieter and the ocean pool gets less crowded. Only downside to those rooms is if you do want to go to the main lagoon pool it's about a 10 min walk.

We had kids there both times (not <1 though) and they loved it. The staff are great with kids. The lagoon pool does have a covered shallow toddler pool they'd enjoy.
We never saw any Bogan issues.

Be aware it's about an hours bus from the airport, as is the Outrigger (which I hear is also worth a look)

Only thing I'd stay away from is the Sigatoka markets nearby, I've been to markets in heaps of different cities through asia and Sigatoka was easily the worst for getting hassled. We bugged out after about 15 minutes.

oetkb

Likes Bikes
Thats a +1 from me about the Sigatoka markets. I have spent a lot of time haggling through Indo (not just Bali) when times have been tough for the locals eg after SARS and Bombings and the locals have been fine, Sigatoka on the other hand is just plain nuts. You buy one thing in there (or not) and next thing you have 5 women trying to pull you to 7 different stalls (usually its a pick pocket scam/trick) I had to almost be offensive to get them to back off and resulted in me moving quick out of there with some local blokes laughing at me.

The resorts are over priced and very good at keeping you captive in them unless it is to do one of there very expensive tours. Seriously $30 Au to walk to the local school and watch them in thier class room!!

After taking 2 boys under 4Yrs old last winter I wouldn't do it again. The time zones played havoc with their eat/sleep routine, Our airport shuttle dropped us off at the airport 4.5hours before departure so it would fit in with another couple at another resort, I'm sure you can imagine having to deal with small kids in an airport for 4.5 hrs. The plain was delayed ANOTHER hour on top of the 4.5 hr wait, we then battled headwinds home which put us another hour in the air. Virgin put 15 meals on the plane for a full flight that included dinner time, The hostess offered us a can of irish stew stuff for the 2 boys but wasn't allowed to heat it up so we all had sandwiches for dinner. (I think I'm starting to digress here).

The locals are lovely and the surfing and diving is pretty good. Thats about the best I have to say about Fiji.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Had chrissie there with my almost 2 yr old. Stayed westin @ nadi. It's good nadi as its only 25 min transfers to the 5 star resort region. We kept it simple as we had a toddler.
My wifes family grew up in Fiji and its her 7 time there, normally they travel all over to various places. She said it was the most relaxing trip there.
Had chrissie dinner with the Fiji PM too.