Filmmaking warning noises?

CanCer

Likes Dirt
hey
i was wondering what things riders have come across in DH racing that people who are filming/photograohing have used to comunicate the fact there's a rider comming
what works
and what doesn't...

cause in my eyes there'd be nothing wose than havin a great run down, hearing "Rider!" behind you, getting off the track, only to find it was a photographers buddy telling him to get ready, not another racer behind you

spam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you watch some videos from world cup races you always here whistles, im not sure if its for filiming/photogrphy purposes but it makes people aware of riders coming.

fattyandthepiemakers

I ride an STP
"Rider" is quite universal in the races, it's jusat easier to say and remember...

What isn't effective is when you have a mate with an airhorn in the technical rock garden section. :p

demo man

Used to be cool.
^^
that'd be the marshals.

at big races there are usual cow bells and air horns and loudmouths and whistles and other types of bells and even the occasional megaphone to alert spectators down the track of an approaching rider....

at the worlds, and some rounds of the Nationals, there are enough spectators making noise to know when someon'e coming. if you want to set yourself up with a mate 20m/whatever up the track to let you know, then a whistle, a metal referee type whistle, would be my first pick. light, easy to use, and bloody loud.

hope that helps some.

Hopper

Likes Dirt
In SA if a rider is coming up behind another rider, he yells track. Also if there i a rider coming, and there is someone on the track for some reason, the people will yell track. Pretty much if someone is coming down a trail and they see something ahead, they yell as loud as possible, track.....

demo man

Used to be cool.
Hopper said:
In SA if a rider is coming up behind another rider, he yells track. Also if there i a rider coming, and there is someone on the track for some reason, the people will yell track. Pretty much if someone is coming down a trail and they see something ahead, they yell as loud as possible, track.....

great. i'm not sure what that had to do with his question though.

he already said he didn't want to use the word "rider" (and by assumption "track" which is the same thing in most senses).

dirt_hurts, while someone yelling something diferent, like "pig!" or "monkey!" will do what you need, who ever you get to do the yelling for you will probably hate you afterwards. give your helper something that does the work for them, as yelling repeatedly can be both boring, tiring, and play havoc on your throat.

i have never used somone to yell rider for me, i usually just squint really hard trying to hear the clanging of a chain or that sound of tyres hitting the dirt...means a fair few shots don't have a great begining though..and some have super-long lead-in times. not perfect but i manage.
someone with a whistle would proabably help heaps - but make sure they realise how long you stay in one spot of the track, and how much tramping all over the hillside actually gets done. be a pain in the butt if they got sick of it halfway through.

S.

ex offender
fattyandthepiemakers said:
"Rider" is quite universal in the races, it's jusat easier to say and remember...

What isn't effective is when you have a mate with an airhorn in the technical rock garden section. :p
Yelling "rider" is generally done to inform one rider that either something is wrong ahead (usually someone crashed), or that someone is behind them. If you yell out rider because your mate is taking photos, you will most likely cause the riders to slow down wondering what's happening. There was some tool at Thredbo last year doing that, and it annoyed the hell out of me. It's not hard to think of another word to use that won't make riders think something is wrong.

fattyandthepiemakers

I ride an STP
I was thinking more of someone behind the corner to the camera taker looking out or listening for riders about 50m away, usually on a straight section. They yell "Rider" before the rider comes in ear shot of the yeller.

projectsplat

The film guy
I am intrigued. I have always heard the call "rider down" to indicate an incident. "rider" is used to indicate that a rider is coming down the trail.
I can honestly say I have never heard anyone use "rider" to indicate an incident unless directly followed by the word "down"...

Al
"Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out."