Films with better sequels

taquar

Likes Dirt
and Harry potter
I'm sorry, but if you make any mention whatsoever of the last "2-part clusterfuck" being good.....

I will find you, and I will kill you.

Come to think of it, I didn't mind Taken and Taken 2. I think they're both good movies, because they didn't go all over-the-top blow up the planet sort of shit.

Sic

Likes Dirt
Interesting ... you seem to dislike Terminator 2 compared to Terminator. And I totally agree. In fact, I'd go so far as to say The Terminator is James Cameron's only endearing quality as a filmmaker. From here on his movies are formulaic shite designed to appeal to the greatest common denominator in order to make coin. Terminator 2 was a family movie compared to 1.

I loved Aliens as a kid. Quoted it like a mofo for freakin years. Still do in fact. The mech warrior v queen at the end ... awesome. Its a movie jam packed with awesome things. But its not an awesome movie. Its just marginally-better-than-current-form James Cameron. And that kid ... damn! Almost as annoying as teen John Connor.

Alien 3 went back to the core of the first film: one creature terrifying the shit out of people and everyone dies. An absolute clusterfuck behind the scenes apparently with David Fincher disowning it never to return, but you get a glimpse of what he was aiming for. It ain't great, but it ain't shit.

I look at where each director went from here and it almost reflects these two films. One went all gung-ho god-bless america we're awesome and I can re-hash any old story and it sells. The other stayed (mostly) dark, depressing, everything's going to shit. Guess I like those films more. I have a happy life goddammit ... can't have that shit creeping into my cinema.

I expect I'll convince exactly zero people with that.

Agreed that the first Terminator is far superior to the sequel but the Aliens vs Alien 3 thing......

Heres my test for those films, name a character from Aliens thats not Ripley, ill bet you can do it pretty easy.

Now name a character from Alien 3 thats not Bishop or Ripley. How did you go?

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Not bait at all, Mallrats was tops. Clerks was good but I like Mallrats that little bit better.
I'll back that Mal rats and chasing amy were both better than clerks. but Jay and silent bob was was one of the few films I simply couldn't be arsed watching to the end.

my02

Likes Dirt
Jean De Florette Vs Manon Des Sources.

Clearly a nubile Emmanuelle Beart frolicking naked in a waterfall takes the win here.....

Ok, back to the mainstream shit.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I'm assuming you're saying both sequels were better yeah? If so I'd be inclined to agree although I'm still buggered as to how in Raid 2 they had snow in Jakarta.
Yes, seeing as that's what this thread is about. :p

Also had a chuckle at the random snow, hah.

ninjananna

Likes Dirt
no mention of the American Pie franchise - can't say 2 is better than 1 but it certainly held its own - same for 3 if you ask me

Beej1

Thought of a few more:
Hellboy 2 > Hellboy
and
Evil Dead 2 > Evil Dead
but ....... Army of Darkness> Evil Dead 2

Heres my test for those films .... now name a character from Alien 3 thats not Bishop or Ripley. How did you go?
Probably not a good test for me as I like and have watched both films equally. But for most people, yes.

FWIW I can think of many movies I've liked where memory retention of the characters names is secondary to remembering the performance of an actor. In fact, Aliens is one of few films I can think of where I know SO many names to this day. Perhaps its due to the large amount of radio communication (which increases the use of names in dialogue), combined with names on clothing an monitors, combined with that whole military movie thing where people have awesome sounding names or just a screenplay that doesn't focus so much on one or two people but many. In any case I find it interesting.

Oh and if you break the Star Trek movies into TOS and TNG, then:
First Contact > Generations

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Raid / The Raid 2

Crank / Crank 2

:)
crank 2 was a load of shit/ crank= awesome original

watched never ending story 2 with the kids last night- what a wonderful tale-NOT

night at the museum 2 is at least as good as the 1st

Die hard 2-26 better than 1.....

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
crank 2 was a load of shit/ crank= awesome original
Haha, I can see why one would have that opinion.

However, I loved how retarded and over-the-top everything was.
More/better action and just 'fun' stuff. :llama:

My fav bit in Crank though, was when Chev was being told that he has to keep his heart rate up and was asked what he was doing.

"Driving through a mall. Cops chasing me."