Find me a bike with flows and pikes

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
Hi all- I'm about to put some new forks and 650b wheels on my bike. When it's all said and done I think I'm looking at about 2k- so I was wondering- has anyone come across a complete bike that is 650b, has flow ex rims, and a pike solo air fork? I suspect the answer may well be "jousting sticks".

Last edited:

wavike

Likes Dirt
That's why there is a 5mth wait on SC Bronsons. You either buy what the the biggies are offering or build a bronson. I think the stumpy 650 frankenB comes with a pike :clock:
RS are supposed to be bringing out a 140 pike, I expect a lot of the '15 upper price range builds will come with it. Flows - probably not.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
More to the point, $2k.... Not. :flypig:
A few bikes do come with arch rims stock, but haven't seen one with flows...but haven't been looking.

wavike

Likes Dirt

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It is time for glory! Build a full custom job. There are a few regulars on this forum who distribute some really fine brands. Get in touch with them and see what they can build you....You will be suprised what may come of it and it will be the bike you want. no upgrades or changes to be done.

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
Hey Pink Poddle can you PM the details of the regulars and what brands they sell.:spy: Will be good to keep in mind for when the time comes for my next bike.

Are Pikes that good? I haven't ridden a bike with them, they seem to be the flavour of the moment in the MTB world.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hey Pink Poddle can you PM the details of the regulars and what brands they sell.:spy: Will be good to keep in mind for when the time comes for my next bike.

Are Pikes that good? I haven't ridden a bike with them, they seem to be the flavour of the moment in the MTB world.
Im not sure about the pikes, but i run the Marzocchi 55cr. It has been a rad fork and takes a fair punishing. plus is a lot cheaper than the pikes. The 55cr runs 20mm axle and a straight steerer, but I believe there is an axle converter and tapered steerer option. So i think it is more versatile than the pike as well. A few others have the same fork. A lot of others have the pike.

xero

Supersports
Transition Bandit and Covert 27.5's

Both the Transition Covert 27.5 and Bandit 27.5 in the X01 and Trail 1 kits have the Flow Ex setups.
And, both have a pike option available ( Solo air or 2 step) . ( We just don't have it listed on our website)
Pricing for the solo air version is the same for the Kit 1 with Fox.

On a "Special" order, we could maybe also look at doing a Kit 2 with the Stans Wheels.

http://www.supersports.net.au/products/bikes/transition/bikes/transition-covert-27-5

http://www.supersports.net.au/products/bikes/transition/bikes/transition-bandit-27-5

moorey

call me Mia
Think he's talking about 2k upgrade to current bike not a bike with pikes for 2k.
This is worth a look http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/27...tin-bikes/whyte/nsw/sans-souci/g150/102369368 They might do a deal on the wheel change over.

Or for 7k - http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/27...kes/whyte/nsw/queanbeyan/g150-works/102404026

Yup the stumpy comes with a pike (no flows) for only 7.6K http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/27.../specialized-stumpjumper-fsr-expert/102494411
My bad them :behindsofa:

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
You want flow on hope hubs for the win, and not much more.
Thanks for all the suggestions- Currently riding a blur tr, so budget needs to cover a 130mm air shaft, and change over, and I won't buy online and then ask my lbs to change over for me- even with the online vids available I don't think I'm confident to have a go myself.
Add tires, a rear shock service and shim and I'm getting close to the 2k mark-was planning on hope hubs too. So I'm thinking maybe I should just get a new bike, I like 125mm trail bikes- happy to sacrifice some uphill speed for downhill fun, I have an irrational dislike for split seat stays/ chain stays.

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks for all the suggestions- Currently riding a blur tr, so budget needs to cover a 130mm air shaft, and change over, and I won't buy online and then ask my lbs to change over for me- even with the online vids available I don't think I'm confident to have a go myself.
Add tires, a rear shock service and shim and I'm getting close to the 2k mark-was planning on hope hubs too. So I'm thinking maybe I should just get a new bike, I like 125mm trail bikes- happy to sacrifice some uphill speed for downhill fun, I have an irrational dislike for split seat stays/ chain stays.
5" all the way on the trail for me. I've just acquired my third 5" trail bike.
I keep saying next bike will be either 100mm to use on the occasional XC ride, or 140mm, to fill the gap between my current trail bikes and the 160mm AM bike...but I just love the 5" bikes, although I always run 150mm forks on them.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Once upon a time 5 inches was a lot of travel.... Bikes like the old Kona Stinky were capable of hitting up a good range of gnar with a whopping 125mm!

stoo

Likes Dirt
5" all the way on the trail for me. I've just acquired my third 5" trail bike.
I keep saying next bike will be either 100mm to use on the occasional XC ride, or 140mm, to fill the gap between my current trail bikes and the 160mm AM bike...but I just love the 5" bikes, although I always run 150mm forks on them.
Yeah, go the 100mm bike since these days you are afraid of jumps and ride like a grandma. Bonza idea.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah, go the 100mm bike since these days you are afraid of jumps and ride like a grandma.
It hurts because its true :pout:
I just don't think a light bike would stand up to my ragged mong riding style :whistle:

russmu66

Likes Bikes
Yes they are. I have a Rocky Mountain Altitude 770 MSL "Rally Edition" that came with Kashima everything. The bike is great... but then, on a gamble, I fitted a set of 150mm RockShox Pike forks. It's night and day... small bump compliance and grip is on another planet, so much more comfortable, grippy and in control. Hands down the best upgrade I've ever done. And all that coming from a fan of Fox forks... normally the only fork I'd consider. The combination of the Fox Float X rear shock and the Pike fork seem to work well together.

As a side note.... I'm also running Flow Ex rims.

Cheers