Fined for wearing a camera on your helmet

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
http://www.coffscoastadvocate.com.au/news/safety-rules-are-hell-mate/2658725/

A local bloke has been fined and docked three points of his license for having an action camera mounted to his helmet whilst motorcycling on the road. The offence the officer put forward was "Under the mandatory standards, motorcycle helmets cannot be modified to change the "structural integrity" of the safety gear such as drilling holes in to the shell." The guy has argued that it was stuck on with tape so I'm assuming he's stuck a 3M Gopro mount on it.
Anyway, it's a common thing to see a mountain biker wearing a camera. Go to any downhill race and you'd expect most guys to have it on them somewhere and plenty of commuters are doing the same "because it shows fault if I'm in an accident". I think the point of this topic is being missed; that being that the camera is a protrusion that has been proved to create an item that can put pressure on a point of your helmet that can dent your brain. This was the alleged cause of Michael Schumacher's injury which has left him a veggie as it was stated that he fell when skiing and the camera mounted to his helmet punched into his helmet when he head planted a rock and has caused brain damage.
There will always be an argument either way, some will say that a rock or a branch hitting at the wrong spot will do the same damage and some will say the camera will break before the helmet is jeopardized. Is this all just an over reaction? Too much policing of an irrelevant issue? Is it potentially a disaster waiting to happen to each of us wearing a camera? Should it be outlawed?

Edit 9/6/15:
It turns out that the guy in the story I linked had actually drilled four holes in the helmet and put self tapping screws into the helmet insert and that what John E Law booked him for. Typically, the newspaper didn't report that fact. In that regard, I agree that he should have been booked for an offence relating to being a total moron.
Lets paint a scientific picture: You drill four holes around the outer edge of the camera mount. You then go for a hardcore ride to film yourself riding too fast to show your equally dopey mates and you crash your bike. It's all on film but the last few images of the footage a blocked a little by the outer casing of the helmet where it smashed the now drilled section into your skull and the helmet itself is now blocking the image..............

Last edited:

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
But the cops are allowed!?!?

Most motorcycle cops now have cameras mounted to the side of their helmets.

What's good for the goose.......

teK--

Eats Squid
I'm mindful of the same risks which is why I mount camera under peak visor where it doesn't protrude past the normal extremities of the helmet.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Id challenge that fine in court, let the judge throw it out and make the cop look incompetent

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Overreaction.

Every time I've crashed with a camera on either helmet or body, the mount has just snapped on impact.

Plus, as above, biker cops are using them too.
Seen plenty a video of biker cops busting people on their phones at traffic lights and using the footage as evidence when the driver objects or tries to lie.

Don't see why it should be any different for regular road users who want to use a camera for evidence in case of an accident.

Any potential risks associated is responsibility of the rider.

nick82

Likes Bikes
Same for lights?

I've had second thoughts on mounting my lights to my helmet for this reason, they are cnc'd aluminium and would go through the helmet no problem. Or am I getting paranoid? :noidea:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
This is something that is being hotly debated at the moment

The Michael shcumacher accident has hilighted a few things. He was wearing a helmet. He had a action camera mounted to it. The helmet broke, as it is suppose to in a heavy crash, but apparently there was abnormal damage to the area where the camera was mounted and that corresponded to the area of his skull that had most damage.

the UCi had a ban on cameras in race runs a few years ago. MTBA tried to follow suit claiming it was a safety ruling. A lot of people argued it was all about protecting media rights and nothing to do with safety as they were allowed in practice.

This might shake things up. If a ban is implemented on helmet mounted cameras it may have big ramifications for night racing as helmet mounted lights would have to pose the same risks.

Klips

Likes Dirt
Calling it now: next USA summer will see a US standards compliant Troy Lee x Contour full facer with integrated camera.

teK--

Eats Squid
Overreaction.

Every time I've crashed with a camera on either helmet or body, the mount has just snapped on impact.

Plus, as above, biker cops are using them too.
Seen plenty a video of biker cops busting people on their phones at traffic lights and using the footage as evidence when the driver objects or tries to lie.

Don't see why it should be any different for regular road users who want to use a camera for evidence in case of an accident.

Any potential risks associated is responsibility of the rider.
If the mount snaps off then great. What it can do is though is cause rotation of the head/helmet in a way that would not have happened if there was no external fixture attached.

Also there are exceptions from normal laws for police and emergency services for tools they need to do their job. Things like handheld radios, etc etc.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Is this a joke? What about the peak of a helmet? Chin straps? Dickhead commuter that wear the mirrors on their helmets? What about flashing red lights attached to the rear of helmets? Are all these increasing the risk of head injury in a crash!

Nanny state bullshit. ... we should all get riding in one of these.
uploadfromtaptalk1433302120688.jpeg

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
http://www.coffscoastadvocate.com.au/news/safety-rules-are-hell-mate/2658725/

A local bloke has been fined and docked three points of his license for having an action camera mounted to his helmet whilst motorcycling on the road. The offence the officer put forward was "Under the mandatory standards, motorcycle helmets cannot be modified to change the "structural integrity" of the safety gear such as drilling holes in to the shell." The guy has argued that it was stuck on with tape so I'm assuming he's stuck a 3M Gopro mount on it.
Anyway, it's a common thing to see a mountain biker wearing a camera. Go to any downhill race and you'd expect most guys to have it on them somewhere and plenty of commuters are doing the same "because it shows fault if I'm in an accident". I think the point of this topic is being missed; that being that the camera is a protrusion that has been proved to create an item that can put pressure on a point of your helmet that can dent your brain. This was the alleged cause of Michael Schumacher's injury which has left him a veggie as it was stated that he fell when skiing and the camera mounted to his helmet punched into his helmet when he head planted a rock and has caused brain damage.
There will always be an argument either way, some will say that a rock or a branch hitting at the wrong spot will do the same damage and some will say the camera will break before the helmet is jeopardized. Is this all just an over reaction? Too much policing of an irrelevant issue? Is it potentially a disaster waiting to happen to each of us wearing a camera? Should it be outlawed?
Yes, they should be outlawed. But not for any of the reasons currently coming to light. Mainly because of the high % of dickheads obsessed with filming themselves and every boring aspect of their moronic lives. Sadly the good users must suffer for the greater good.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Mainly because of the high % of dickheads obsessed with filming themselves and every boring aspect of their moronic lives.
Hey, I am AN INTERESTING AND UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE ALRIGHT?! Everyone is amazed by what I'm doing and what I think. Now where can I upload photos of my lunch? #nomnom

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I can understand the reaction and logic behind it, but fark, you could land on a stick the wrong way and it would pierce your helmet and maybe your head. It's just a freak accident. Helmets do save against direct impact to the head and brain, but without a neck brace, they actually increase the risk of a neck or spinal injury because of the increased angle between the initial point of impact and the spine. I'm not up on current UCI rules. Are neck braces mandatory for DH?

Markee

Likes Dirt
This is also up for discussion within the motorcycle racing community here in Aus ATM. Very, very interesting valid points and opinions being voiced.

I'd say the keep them and you assume the risk. Just like you do every time you do anything unless you're inside one of those zorb things above.