First Aid kits and Mountainbiking.

After a couple of big crashes, one on the XC machine and the other on the DH sled, I got thinking that I really don't carry anything should I need to patch up myself or another rider when we are hours from anywhere. Nor does anyone I ride with.
As such I am putting together a simple pack that I can put on the bike and forget about....
So far I have a couple of bandages, a sling and some fixomull.

What do people think? Am I being paranoid? Does anyone else carry first aid? If so what?

ademb

Likes Dirt
Yeah i carry one with me depending on the trails I'm riding, or just have it in the car if we are shuttling a trail. Figured it was worthwhile after the last year of my mates injuring themselves - broken fingers, broken ankle, gashes etc etc.

Mr Pants

skanky media ho
I have carried one for years, thankfully never used it for anything serious but it's great to have. Just buy a pre-made kit that's as big as you're prepared to carry. It'll have everything you'll reasonably need and importantly instructions on how to use it. You'll probably just need to add some paracetamol, Ibuprofen and antihistamines.

I just did a Wilderness 1st aid course with Adventure Medic, it's given me a load more confidence about being in remote places and situations. Highly recommended.

T-Rex

Template denier
Yep, me. Mine lives in my Camelback, and goes pretty much every where with me, XC, DH, DJ (I'm a spectator at DJ).

There's another thread on this subject, but since you've raised the question, I've compiled a custom first aid kit, based on experence with most of the listed injuries, with the following:

Triangular bandage (collar bones)
3" bandage and piece of simi rigid plastic for a splint (wrists)
Saline (objects in eyes, flushing cuts & grazes)
butterflies (deep cuts eg from pedal bite, impalements)
big non stick gauze patches + 2" bandages (major grazes)
Small LED torch (Checking pupil dilation for concussion)

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great, sensible thread. Having walked for 2+ kms on a smashed knee and losing lots of blood on the way (while residents just sneered) I thoroughly endorse a basic kit. They don't cost much, can can/DO make a world of difference.

Make mine a double.

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
The problem is that anything that is general enough to carry in your first aid kit isnt really going to help you that much. It may provide you with some comfort like a sling for a broken arm, but that is no different to a wrapped up shirt. Bandages will stop some incidental blood loss but wont really help if things are bad

Switch

huskier headed gent
The problem is that anything that is general enough to carry in your first aid kit isnt really going to help you that much. It may provide you with some comfort like a sling for a broken arm, but that is no different to a wrapped up shirt. Bandages will stop some incidental blood loss but wont really help if things are bad
Really? that is your contribution? I agree a shirt works well as a makeshift bandage but is nothing compared to a good sterile dressing. Read T-Rex's post every item listed for a specific purpose and you would barely notice you were carrying it. I would have to add a space blanket to the list, great for keeping the patient warm if they are going into shock or if caught out over night. I would also recommend carrying matches or a lighter for the same purpose.

Brasco_Designs

Likes Dirt
I'm going to repsectfully disagree - anything is better than nothing. You think that a wrapped up shirt will provide enough support and comfort for someone with a broken arm to walk out to help without causing more damage? What about someone who has broken their femur and you need to put traction on? If the shit hits the fan I know I would rather have a first aid kit than rely on a shirt or two.

As Mr Pants mentioned if you want to feel more confident do a first Aid Course, the wilderness first aid courses are fantastic and cover a wider range of environment appropriate situations than a basic St Johns course. I have done all of mine through the Safety Network and now NOLS. You would be surprised at how many "major" injuries can be managed effectively with a simple first aid kit including spinals, femur breaks and large lacerations.

A general pre packed commercial first aid kit will be enough to cover most major issues, I recommend checking out the Equip kits and then adding extras like drugs. I would also highly recommend a "SAM" splint or two as they are excellent for managing breaks. The fixomull is a great long term covering but you could probably leave it at home if all you were after was an "emergency" kit. Some other ideas would be a space blanket to help treat shock, whistle (fox 40) for attracting attention, tweezers for splinters or splinter probes and a large syringe for wound cleaning (very effective on getting gravel out of grazes). Traingular bandages are great for alot of things so maybe add a couple more. Also if your mates all carry something as well you can pool resources in case something bad does happen.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
BTW I am replying to thelankyman's post, Brasco_Designs got in way quicker as I was thinking my reply out!

Don't know if I totally agree with that. IMO a little comfort can make a huge improvement.

I made the decision to carry a pretty decent kit after being caught with nothing a couple of times. TBH it's way over the top but it gives me peace of mind.

Just after I put my kit together I did a big group ride on the Old North Rd. At around 20-25km one of the blokes came off heavily on one of the rocky sections and ended up with a badly sprained (possibly broken) wrist. I'm my kit I was carrying some SAM splints so we strapped him up and he rode the 30km odd out of there in. Significantly painful journey but he made it out when he would otherwise have been walking. I originally felt like a bit of a d ick carrying so much gear but it seemed to pay off in this instance.

Of course it depends what riding you are doing too. If you're only a few k's from your car then maybe not such a concern, but if it's a long ride well away from civilisation, then it's something to think about more seriously.

Last edited:

tojo

Likes Bikes
the general stuff i carry in my first aid kit is the exact same general stuff you will find in an ambulance or emergency department of a hospital. I am referring to real basic general things like bandages, sterile dressings and other general first aid supplies. I hope things never get really bad but if they do i think the stuff i cart around will do a lot more than just provide comfort.

T-Rex

Template denier
You are joking, right?

Effectively immobilising, for example, a broken wrist, makes a considerable difference to a patient's level of comfort. To do a comparable job with a shirt, you would need to cut it into strips, and you would need a second shirt for a sling, also cut up. Lets think about that for a minute..... cut up two perfectly good shirts or use the stuff designed for the job....mmmm????

The first aid kit I described above has been compiled from personal experience attending to all the injuries I listed. Having the right gear on hand makes things a lot better for all concerned.

aidz44

Likes Dirt
ohh for crying out loud. go and do a farkin first aid course. It does look good on your resume.
when I'm out by myself, there is a big kit in the car and sometimes a smaller kit in my pack.
i have seen a few people talk about the patents "level of comfort". for those of you who don't know, this DOES NOT mean sitting in a layZboy massaging foot rubbing reclining chair. it is more of a "ohh please god don't go into shock" level of comfort.
Because treating someone with a stick poking out of their leg AND falling into shock is almost impossible without the gear and a good idea.

I'm liking this kit! Should be small enough to keep on the bike or in my pack...
I think that anything is better than nothing, and by the time 4 mates get together with their gear we should be able to get someone out. Might add the space blanket menitoned earlier seeing that winter is comming....

Thanks guys for your comments!

Yep, me. Mine lives in my Camelback, and goes pretty much every where with me, XC, DH, DJ (I'm a spectator at DJ).

There's another thread on this subject, but since you've raised the question, I've compiled a custom first aid kit, based on experence with most of the listed injuries, with the following:

Triangular bandage (collar bones)
3" bandage and piece of simi rigid plastic for a splint (wrists)
Saline (objects in eyes, flushing cuts & grazes)
butterflies (deep cuts eg from pedal bite, impalements)
big non stick gauze patches + 2" bandages (major grazes)
Small LED torch (Checking pupil dilation for concussion)

First Aid kits

I'm liking this kit! Should be small enough to keep on the bike or in my pack...
I think that anything is better than nothing, and by the time 4 mates get together with their gear we should be able to get someone out. Might add the space blanket menitoned earlier seeing that winter is comming....

Thanks guys for your comments!
Hi guys- thought I'd add my opinion:

What First aid kit depends on:
- who's riding: More experienced riders crash less
- terrain: Technical on sandstone = more risk of scrapes, and fractures
- weather: Slippery conditions means more falls
- telephone reception means one can call an ambulance
- is the terrain accessible? Despite telephone coverage it may take hour(s) for an ambulance to arrive

For most rides I have a kit for cuts & abrasions:
- Saline for washing wounds or eyes
- Antiseptic like betadine
- band aids
- Tegaderm dressings, or similar (5 X 5 cm, and 10 X 5cm)
- two crepe bandages
- scissors

If we go into rough terrain far from help, more is required but having a medic ride with the group makes it easier. I happen to be a doc and able to help, but needs equipment, drugs etc to be able to be of real use if a major injury. Of course carrying stuff takes space more than weight.

Cheers

First Aid Kits

I left out some items:

What First aid kit depends on:
- who's riding: More experienced riders crash less
- terrain: Technical on sandstone = more risk of scrapes, and fractures
- weather: Slippery conditions means more falls
- telephone reception means one can call an ambulance
- is the terrain accessible? Despite telephone coverage it may take hour(s) for an ambulance to arrive

For most rides I have a kit for cuts & abrasions:
- Sterile Saline for washing wounds or eyes
- Antiseptic like betadine- small bottle or squares
- band aids
- Tegaderm dressings, or similar (5 X 5 cm, and 10 X 5cm)
- two crepe bandages
- scissors
- gauze squares
- disposable gloves

If we go into rough terrain far from help, more is required but having a medic ride with the group makes it easier. I happen to be a doc and able to help, but needs equipment, drugs etc to be able to be of real use if a major injury. Of course carrying stuff takes space more than weight.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Because treating someone with a stick poking out of their leg AND falling into shock is almost impossible without the gear and a good idea.
This is a pretty serious issue and one that demands swift and precise action. My wife and I have been traveling and riding into remote regions for 30 years and can't stress strongly enough the importance of keeping the injured person calm, lucid and comfortable.

Aidz, I had the very issue you've described happen to my wife just recently. With a fairly gruesome puncture wound in her leg, swift action to stem the blood loss with the right stretch bandage and sufficient pressure is important as is the right items to secure the bandage so that you are then free to deal with the injured rider.

The injured rider needs to know that you are dealing with the situation. You know where you are to relay that back to the 000 operator, have a route or meeting place for emergency response team and then attend again to the injured rider. You may have to assess the injury regarding potential surgery because even something like giving the rider something to eat or drink can turn around and bite them later on.

I have always carried first aid equipment that is appropriate for the region we are traveling in. Indeed we share the load between those riding because sometimes it's a fair bit of gear. Being a thousand km from anywhere on the Canning stock route with a broken limb isn't fun but you can deal with it. Being at the bottom of your street with a puncture wound in the femoral artery in your leg will kill you quick and it doesn't really hurt that much.

Never underestimate the importance of carrying first aid equipment and knowing how to use emergency techniques. Hopefully you will never have to use them but if you are in that nasty situation, you and the injured rider will for ever appreciate it. And best of all, you’ll both live to ride again.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Wholeheartedly agree with the pro emergency kit opinions here.
I carry an Equip Rec 2 first aid kit which cost about $60 from your local Anaconda store.
It has all the gear listed in T-Rex's great post.
I have used it plenty of times already with things from compound fractures, large grazes, foreign bodies in eyes and limbs etc. Some of these injuries have been my own.
I will never ride without it regardless of its weight or size.
Safety is priceless.
I am a doctor and have addeed a few things to my kit like some strong painkillers (Oxynorm), fixamull and adrenaline.
I don't carry splints but i think its a good idea - I've improvised with sticks and bandages before.
I've been stuck with an immobilised rider bearing open fracture wounds for over 2 hours before help arrived.
This was in a national park just out of the city.
Do not underestimate the benefits that prompt first aid can provide.

mtb_punk

Likes Bikes
I have a decent sized kit in the car at all times, you never know when you need it. However I did particularly buy it when I started going MTB and trail bike riding. I actually used it for the first time last weekend on myself, and was bloody glad I had it (pardon the pun) with me!

I also carry a small one in my camel back with the bare essentials, which I bought from Ballard's, a moto store, which gets the kits made up specifically for trail bike riders. I wouldn't ride in the bush without one with me, however I really need to do a first aid course, as it has been a while since my last one. In my opinion everyone should do one.

nayto

Likes Bikes
I usually carry a similar small kit to what most have mentioned here, i really do need to go an do the course again though. Its out of date plus just a refresher would be good. In regards to the strong pain killers, im not talkin Nurofen etc, something that actually works on strong pain, since im not a doc, what would you fellas suggest that u can get at a chemist?