First Bike

ac137

Squid
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting my first road bike, I started looking at a Giant TCR Advanced 2 but now have come across a Specialized Tarmac Comp Mid Compact that I can get a good deal on.

I have read a couple of reviews on the TCR Advanced and have come to the conclusion that it would be a good bike for my first, but I haven't been able to find anything on the Tarmac Comp so just want to know if anyone has any experiences or reviews on either and what they would recommend (open to other suggestions).

Thanks

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get whichever one fits/feels more natural to you.

Compare spec levels/frame stuff all you want, but the more at-home you feel on a bike, the more you'll ride it.

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
Totally agree there, go with the one that is more comfortable or even looks better, save the extra $$$ for your 2nd bike once you decide what you really need (i.e. a better roadie, new mtb, or maybe even cyclocross)

My first roadie was a POS in hindsight, but for $1,200 it got me 10,000 odd kms without a drama,

Z350

Likes Bikes
I picked up a new 2012 specialized tarmac mid compact with 10sp tiagra on a whim.
At $1499 it was a bargin.
I couldn't be happier with it , its my first road bike and I now ride to work everyday doing about 100km commuting a week , it has improved my riding technique (pedal stroke and power transfer ) and stamina 100%.
I never thought I would be on a road bike but now wish I had done it sooner.

ac137

Squid
I thought that would be the case in terms of getting what ever feels better.

I have been to all my local bike shops and have narrowed it down to a few, my list is as follows:
1) Giant Defy Composite 2
2) Specailized Allez Race
3) BH Prisma

Regarding the above bikes I have a few question. First and probably most important is to do with sizing, all the shops I have been to reckon I would be a medium as I'm about 5'9"/5'10" although the Giant is a medium/large do you guys think that it would be to big? Also what are BH bikes like, does any one have one?

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gah... I hate companies that say, oh your a medium, oh your a large. Give the customer numbers, because thats what all fit systems work on, pure numbers.

Refer to the frames top tube length and seat tube length (head-tube length as well if you really need to....), rather than whatever said companies define as medium/large etc.

In reference to what is x bike like? To be brutally honest, it's your first road bike. Get out and ride any brand for longer than 20kms and see if you actually like road riding!

BH have been around for longer than Specialized or Giant. If your that economically driven, the Specialized will have better resale value, at this given point, than BH or Giant.

Mafra

Likes Bikes
The counter to Alo661 - while the resale value on the bigS will be better, it's usually hard to beat Giant's value proposition at the point of original purchase.

re: fit - it would be best if you can ride a test bike or a friends road bike in the size range to see what works for you.

Medium as a term can be useful in that a "medium" takes into account a frame's design (compact(sloping - Giant 50cm nominal size) or traditional top tube(53 or 54cm))).
the other aspect of height to take into account is relative body proportions.

I ride a 50cm Giant OCR (precursor to the Defy), at 5'10" I am proportionaly longer in the legs and have a shorter torso, so while my leg length would suggest a M/L frame would suit me, the top tube would be too long, and my bike shop guy has shortened my reach by setting me up with a short (60mm) stem.

My cx bike is a Planet X XLS sized 54cm and mtb is a xtc 19"... all would be respectively classified as "medium".

so... sadly medium/50cm/54cm, height and proportions are a good guide, but once you narrow it down to a couple of models it's time to go riding.

good luck - road riding is good, just the people in metal boxes that you have to share with that are the worry... oh and tram track in Melbourne and Adelaide.

ac137

Squid
Thanks for the input guys, I can understand that to most it is probably annoying...

Today I went and looked at one last shop, and found a Cannondale SuperSix 5 for $2150, a little more than I was originally planing to spend but I think this is going to be the one. Also is it really necessary to test ride a bike prior to purchase?