First dirt jumping bike?

Hey guys, new to biking and am interested in dirt jumping.
From your experiences or what you know, what would you recommend that I get, i've heard second hand is definitely the way to go also don't have a lot of spare dollars at the moment.
Looking for something around the $400-$600 range, i know it's asking a bit though.
I'd say I'm about 5ft 11" - 6ft and 75kg
Everything appreciated :)
QLD Brisbane west

Veg

Likes Bikes
I bought an 09 Specailized P2 (alloy) to have a shot at some DJ'ing not too long ago for $500 in pretty good shape. Came with marz DJ2's, avid juicy3's, chainguide/bashplate etc, sram x4 (all standard from factory I think). P2 was a pretty popular bike from what I understand so you should be able to fine one pretty easy

si618

Likes Dirt
I picked up a mint condition commencal absolut 1 for $600 off ebay. Frame, bars and wheelset have proven strong, forks are average, converted it to single speed for simplicity, changing flats in the rear is a pain, kenda k-rads seem to flat real easy on anything other than smooth dirt. Had some shimano m446 brakes lying around so swapped out the avid juicy 3 as I prefer shimano stoppers.

Along with RB, keep an eye on gumtree, ebay and bikeexchange. You should be able to pick up something reasonable for that price if you're patient.

DJ1/2 forks are ok but not great, ended up cutting the spring on some fox vanillas I bought on RB down to ~100mm and it's much nicer, although I still can't jump for shit it's a great bike for our backyard pump track :)

So far i've been waiting and looking for a bit over a week, there's not a whole great deal out at the moment besides a few P2's on gumtree which are no where near me.
Thoughts on Norco?
Would you have more control over the bike with 24" at all?
Definitely getting or if i have to converting to single speed too.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So far i've been waiting and looking for a bit over a week, there's not a whole great deal out at the moment besides a few P2's on gumtree which are no where near me.
Thoughts on Norco?
Would you have more control over the bike with 24" at all?
Definitely getting or if i have to converting to single speed too.

24 inch.... awesome but not for your first DJ bike. Unless you're already a skilled BMXican, you'd be far better off with the stability that comes from 26 inch wheels.

ah yeah alright, most people tend to have the 26" anyway.
Not a great deal for sale but could do with some advice as to what some are worth if someone could PM me

dcrofty

Eats Squid
A second hand Giant STP would probably fit your bill too. Cheap as chips but a good solid bike and perfect for a beginner.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
24 inch.... awesome but not for your first DJ bike. Unless you're already a skilled BMXican, you'd be far better off with the stability that comes from 26 inch wheels.
I'm going to disagree with this. A skilled bmxican would rather shoot off his left testicle than ride a cruiser. But then also skilled bmxicans started out not so skilled, on a bmx. If you want to ride trails and be awesome doing fully sick whips and all that, buy a bike that's suitable and within your price range that your comfortable on. Wheel size will play a very small part in it while your learning, if you get used to jumpin on 24'' (lolololol), that's what you'll be used to. Bmxers didn't work their way down wheel sizes, it's just you'll get used to what you ride.

In saying all that smaller wheels are better. And stronger. BMX that shit up dude, just get a 21'' top tube and some big ol' bars.

Last edited:
yes at the moment im looking for either a specialized p2 or giant stp though im yet to do some research on the differences on the stp 0,1 and 2. Know that Giants are a popular bike and would be able to pick one up for under $600.
I would actually pick one of those NS' up but im not a large fan of the forks..

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone :)

If you don't mind rigid fork, Rhythm are clearing out the 2013 NS Holy 1 for $599

http://www.ribbed.com.au/store/by-product-type/completes/ns-holy-1-2013.html

I'm going to disagree with this. A skilled bmxican would rather shoot off his left testicle than ride a cruiser. But then also skilled bmxicans started out not so skilled, on a bmx. If you want to ride trails and be awesome doing fully sick whips and all that, buy a bike that's suitable and within your price range that your comfortable on. Wheel size will play a very small part in it while your learning, if you get used to jumpin on 24'' (lolololol), that's what you'll be used to. Bmxers didn't work their way down wheel sizes, it's just you'll get used to what you ride.

In saying all that smaller wheels are better. And stronger. BMX that shit up dude, just get a 21'' top tube and some big ol' bars.
I understand what you're saying, if you're use to riding a certain wheel size obviously you're going to be more bias towards that. Though i was just curious as to what others opinions were on it :)

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

I understand what you're saying, if you're use to riding a certain wheel size obviously you're going to be more bias towards that. Though i was just curious as to what others opinions were on it :)
That ns is an awesome bike, do a fork swap?

For your budget if you find a good deal on a 24" bike, don't knock it back because of wheel size. Rigids aren't that bad, you'll enjoy how direct the bike handles one used to it.

Last edited:
That ns is an awesome bike, do a fork swap?

For your budget if you find a good deal on a 24" bike, don't knock it back because of wheel size. Rigids aren't that bad, you'll enjoy how direct the bike handles one used to it.
Not saying they're not, i know the brand is quite well known too

24" doesn't bother me too much but as was previously stated, for beginners as such 26" will provide more stability, you can always downsize remember :) but i do appreciate that link as i still may purchase one yet, they look mint too