First Enduro

ste27

Likes Bikes
Hi guys,

tired of riding a 'shitty' hardtail, now it is time to upgrade to an enduro bike.

I had a look on the market and at the end I need an advice between these two bikes.

1- Specialized Enduro Comp 650b (I would have chosen the elite but apparently it is out of stock everywhere)
2 - Norco Range A7.1

Can get both for $4000 ea. And can get both with interest free finance which atm is very important (saving for the home deposit :( )

Which one is the best for you?
I know there is the YT capra but difficult to find, so not an option.

cheers!

stefano

mitchy_

Llama calmer
owning an enduro comp, i'm going to tell you to buy that. you should be able to demo either though? i threw a leg over a 2015 enduro and carbon range (among other bikes) before committing.

the only real noticeable difference of the elite over the comp (aside from the retina burning orange) is the monarch plus... well worth the upgrade if you do buy the endurbro.

ste27

Likes Bikes
owning an enduro comp, i'm going to tell you to buy that. you should be able to demo either though? i threw a leg over a 2015 enduro and carbon range (among other bikes) before committing.

the only real noticeable difference of the elite over the comp (aside from the retina burning orange) is the monarch plus... well worth the upgrade if you do buy the endurbro.
Thanks.
Some components of the Norco looked a bit better to me so that's why I was asking (dropper post, crankset, fork & shock maybe). What do you think in that regards?

I test drove the Enduro Expert in carbon and that was amazing to me. But I am coming from an hardtail so probably even the crappiest enduro would look amazing to me :)

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Throw a leg over the 29 Enduro. Even if you hate 29ers. You'll be pleasantly surprised ;)

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Throw a leg over the 29 Enduro. Even if you hate 29ers. You'll be pleasantly surprised ;)
i didn't even want to demo a 29er... but it was all that was available in my size when a mate was going out. :lol:

Thanks.
Some components of the Norco looked a bit better to me so that's why I was asking (dropper post, crankset, fork & shock maybe). What do you think in that regards?

I test drove the Enduro Expert in carbon and that was amazing to me. But I am coming from an hardtail so probably even the crappiest enduro would look amazing to me :)
dropper posts are subjective at best... some people love reverbs, some hate them.
cranks are similar, both are direct mount capable alloy cranks.
fork, subjective again. pike is good, new fox is good.
shocks are about the same as well, entry level fox... well worthy of an upgrade on either bike.

the rest is all pretty similar... own branded bars, stem, grips, etc. GX drivetrain on both... the only real point of contention i can see is the enduro has internal routing for the dropper post. the one bike i rode with an externally routed cable had it buzzing the tyre or hitting the crank arm under fool droop.

ste27

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the advice. I might try to test one but from what I read and from what people told me the 27 is much more agile and best for cornering.

slimjim1

Thanks for the advice. I might try to test one but from what I read and from what people told me the 27 is much more agile and best for cornering.
The Enduro 29 is super agile and fun to throw around. You'll see if you try one.

ste27

Likes Bikes
The Enduro 29 is super agile and fun to throw around. You'll see if you try one.
I will see if they have one in store. thanks for the advice. what do you think is the best between the two? enduro or range?

cheers

slimjim1

I will see if they have one in store. thanks for the advice. what do you think is the best between the two? enduro or range?

cheers
Honestly, you just have to try them for yourself man. I wasn't trying to talk you into the Enduro 29 but if you're already going to look at the 650 Enduro it's 100% worth just throwing a leg over it.

ste27

Likes Bikes
In terms of resale which of the two brand is better?
My guess is Specialized but I will leave to you.

I am really not sure which one to buy.. :)

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
In terms of resale which of the two brand is better?
My guess is Specialized but I will leave to you.

I am really not sure which one to buy.. :)
If you're choosing a bike based on resale value, you're gonna have a bad time....just go into the transaction accepting that you're taking a bath on resale, and you'll avoid disappointment.

slimjim1

If you're choosing a bike based on resale value, you're gonna have a bad time....just go into the transaction accepting that you're taking a bath on resale, and you'll avoid disappointment.
+1. If I had to guess I would say the Specialized would have better resale, but honestly the difference between them will be so small that it's not even a consideration. As noted, best not to think about resale.

ste27

Likes Bikes
+1. If I had to guess I would say the Specialized would have better resale, but honestly the difference between them will be so small that it's not even a consideration. As noted, best not to think about resale.
yeah makes sense. Stupid question :)

At the end I will decide between the Norco A7.1 and the canyon Strive.

To me the canyon strive AL6.0 has some better specs: rims, stealth dropper post, brakes (on the Norco there are Deore 180mm disk brakes Vs Canyon's Sram Guide), shapeshifter (seems interesting) and less branded items such as stem, handlebar, etc.
At the end the A7.1 will cost me $3600 and the Canyon $4028 delivered to my door but they do not do finance.

Any thoughts?

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
What are the differences in the geometry of the strive and the A7.1

The way it feels is way more important than the specs of the stuff hanging off it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a 29r Enduro Comp for a couple of years now and it is something else.
Basically over biked for where I live but heaps of fun.
Wasn't a 650 version made when I bought mine but I have no regrets about the 29r. I'm a big guy and in my opinion, big wheels make sense for me.
And having an XL is great, finally have a bike that doesn't look like I stole it.
Component wise it wasn't awesome but still serviceable, could easily have managed until something broke. I fitted SLX brakes, went 1x(NW), shorter stem, dropper post and ZEE shifter/RD combo. And haven't needed to change anything since.
Not the lightest out there, neither am I, but it is well worth any weight penalty on the way up for what it brings on the way down.
Super capable bike.

doihoi

Likes Dirt
I had a look at this bike.. is this much better than the Norco? the only bad think is that they do not finance bikes.. but if the differences are significant maybe I can consider it
The rear shock and brakes are defs better than the Norco
The travel is bigger on the Canyon than Norco
Also cables are hidden on the Canyon

At the end of the day, if you require finance, then Norco may be your bike of choice

I've owned a 2014 Sight 7.2 and currently ride a 2013 S-Works Enduro, both are wicked bikes, so which ever path you take, I'm sure you'll be happy.

ste27

Likes Bikes
The rear shock and brakes are defs better than the Norco
The travel is bigger on the Canyon than Norco
Also cables are hidden on the Canyon

At the end of the day, if you require finance, then Norco may be your bike of choice

I've owned a 2014 Sight 7.2 and currently ride a 2013 S-Works Enduro, both are wicked bikes, so which ever path you take, I'm sure you'll be happy.

I'd prefer finance, but it's not a deal breaker. I looked at the geometry chart and although I am not an expert they seem to be similar.
Travel is only 3mm difference, am I wrong?

Oh and the wheels seem much better on the canyon too.. DT Swiss Vs Alex Rims.

I know that I will be happy anyway but I do not want to regret my choice

Last edited:

doihoi

Likes Dirt
I'd prefer finance, but it's not a deal breaker. I looked at the geometry chart and although I am not an expert they seem to be similar.
Travel is only 3mm difference, am I wrong?

Oh and the wheels seem much better on the canyon too.. DT Swiss Vs Alex Rims.

I know that I will be happy anyway but I do not want to regret my choice
Canyon runs 160mm fork, the Norco 150mm

It's a hard decision to make for sure, especially when you're blowing $4k

Another way to look at it, parts can be replaced if you're not happy.