First ever mountain bike race in Botanic Gardens

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
The first ever mountain bike race to be held in a Botanic Garden was held in Sydney’s south west on the weekend. The 416 hectares at the

Australian Botanic Garden, Mount Annan are now the closest enduro trail to the centre of Sydney. The 6.8 km of trail were christened by event organizers and mountain bike trail advocates Rocky Trail Entertainment with the SHIMANO MTB Grand Prix.

The four and eight hour events on Saturday saw over 350 riders converge from all over New South Wales while Sunday’s Banzai Lifecycle MTB Fitness ride attracted over 150 local riders to a time trial-style event.Star of the inaugural race was former world 24 hour champion, Craig Gordon from Wollongong, who claimed the fastest lap time of 20 min 38 sec. Gordon went on to lead the field in his two rider team with Rockstar Racing partner, Troy Glennan amassing an unbeatable 22 laps.

The 8 hour solo winner was Blue Mountains’ rider, David Ludenia, with a respectable 20 laps completed.

For the 21 year old Specialized rider, the pace changed throughout the day as young rider Billy Sewell from Port Macquarie challenged his lead.

“ I settled in through the middle of the race and got a bit complacent,” admitted Lodenia.”I found I had to pick up the pace in the last two hours to keep my lead.”

Ludenia was one of many riders impressed with the new mountain bike venue.

“It was good track. It’s popularity has already been demonstrated by the size and success of this even t,” Ludenia added.

The team from The Australian Botanic Garden, Mount Annan were praised by riders for finally bringing back a MTB trail to Sydney and “letting us ride and race in such a beautiful setting” as one rider put it.

Second was national under 19 champion, Billy Sewell from Port Macquarie registering 19 laps. At just 17 years of age Sewell impressed fellow riders with his performance in his first 8 hour race. Aaron Thomson from Canberra placed third on 18 laps.

Current world 24 hr champion for 30 – 34 women, Belinda Porter (Port Macquarie) claimed the 8 hour women’s title.

The 8 hour Master Men’s winner, Hugh Stodart from North Sydney registered 18 laps while his female counterpart, Joanne Tulk from Gosford completed 11 laps.

Super masters winner was another Gosford rider, Andrew Radcliffe, who registered 17 laps.

The 4 hour Shimano MTB Grand Prix was taken out by Rockstar Racing rider, Josh Carlson from Wollongong. Carlson dominated the race by gaining 11 laps. Mudgee’s Sebastian Jayne and Huw Moore (Turramurra) both registered 10 laps but a two minute lead saw Jayne take second relegating Moore to third.

The women’s 4 hour race was also close with all three solo podium placegetters on eight laps. However it was. Bree Webb from Wollongong claiming the quickest time to finish first place ahead of Kathryn Cox. Emily May rode in for third.

The masters men’s category was won by Sydney’s Jason Kaul with 9 laps while Kristen Vallance from Newcastle took out the women’s division.

The 4 hour super masters (50+) winner was Newcastle’s Vincent Keir and the junior 4 hour race winner was Canberra’s Jordan Butler both on 9 laps.

Single speed winner was Paul Harwood from south Sydney also on 9 laps.

The second round of the SHIMANO MTB Grand Prix Series will be held at Awaba Mountain Bike Park, south of Newcastle on the 16 July with another endurance event and 4 and 8 hour races on the Saturday and the BANZAI LifeCycle time trail event on the Sunday.

This weekend the Rocky Trail Crew will head to Awaba as well, where the downhill course will play host to the RedAss State Downhill Championships.

Event information and detailed results can be located at: www.rockytrailentertainment.com

Sharon Payne
Bike Media

vinnie 77

Cannon Fodder
Mount Annan Rocky Trail series

Just read this article, and thought i might just add my 2 bob for what ever its worth.
My wife was the female masters winner and overall 4hr female winner as she completed nine laps and led the race from the start, also achieved fastest female lap of the day, the race report for what ever reason failed to mention these stats, even stated Newcastle as origin, probably been to Newcastle 3 times in our life, as she trains really hard and turns up on the day to compete, its a bit disappointing to not be recognised, actually the only competitor with no laps stated in race report, (good one) same thing last year at Rocky Trail series wins overall and overall given to an open rider, just because you a masters category aren't you allowed to claim victory if you earned it. Wont be attending any more Rocky Trail events thats for sure, just out of principle. credit where credit is due i reckon.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
Yeah that sucks. But these things happens. Want more coverage, why not race open?