First MTB Purchase. 26er or 29er?

Ja-Mez

Likes Dirt
good choice.. in the end, the rider dictates what he "needs"..... pros n cons for everything.. lets hope he sticks with it.... i started on a 26 HT... piece of junk.. when i upgraded i was walking around with a stiffy for about 3 months.. duallies rock my socks

my mates with HT always think im nuts when im clearing logs/jumps.. i explain its the way a dually rides.. you get a flow to thing and you ass dont hurt... Swapped rides on my last rideout.. and mate didnt want to give me my dually back.. his 29er HT is worth a mint.. and now he's looking at getting a dually and leaving the 29er for short rides and commuting!

martinpb

Likes Dirt
it's always the rider's choice, if you don't like the bike, you will come up with excuses not to ride, if you buy something you love riding, it can be life destroying (but in a good way)
hope he gets to love MTB as much as the people who post here :)

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A 29er will be an easier transition from his roady but a 26" will force him to be a better rider and ultimately allow him to have a bit more fun.

Horses for courses, though. If he's a wee man he'll get the 26"
I've corrected your post bro. :)

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
It's nonsense that 26 will force one to develop better skills.

I'll start a thread one day when I can be bothered about all the stupid reasons people claim for riding either a 29er or a 26er that are just myth.

Most reasons for either side are born out of trying to defend your own purchase or ownership.

No idea why people are so insecure.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Just get him to buy one of each:
* a 26er hardtail
* a 26er duallie
* a 29er hardtail
* a 29er duallie

then everyone will be happy (except possibly his bank balance :p)

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
Just get him to buy one of each:
* a 26er hardtail
* a 26er duallie
* a 29er hardtail
* a 29er duallie

then everyone will be happy (except possibly his bank balance :p)
and call past the family law courts to pick up a divorce application on the way and everyone is happier :):):):)

RichJS

Likes Dirt
All the arguements for 26 inch wheels would make a 20 inch bike the natural choice. :):)
.. and all the arguments for a 29er make a 36er a natural choice. :p I'm sure the Kaos guys would love to make up one more.

Perhaps we can meet in the middle - 650b? :p

A 29er will be an easier transition from his roady
Why - because they have the same rim diameter? That doesn't make sense. A 700c with 23c (road) tyres is closer in rolling diameter to a 26" MTB with 2.1" tyres than a 29".

Last edited:

haminda

Likes Bikes
Another Option

Maybe just tell him to test ride a 26er HT and a 29er HT and see for himself which one he prefers. Sounds like to me if he is buying a carbon bike it will be a bit more expensive so i strongly suggest to do this. Then he will be happy about his purchase not regretting whether he should of gone 26er not 29er and vise versa. Oh and just remember the best way to enjoy riding is to actually get out and ride - not to bicker about which one is the best, this debate is rather old and quite frankly it does not matter which option he chooses as long as he is happy with the final decision. I was in this position too, back in 2007-8 I was considering to purchase a carbon hardtail (just like your friend) i did not know wether to go 26er or 29er. I am always one of those people that likes to be different, however, 29ers were a bit of a rarity and where considered really weird with my bunch of riding group (they said it was a sign of being inbred-i don't know where this came from), so i stuck to 26er because i knew that is what i was familiar with and thats what my trails preferred and what i preferred. Since then i am retaining the 26er pride and just upping the travel to 110mm. For some further reading on the future of the 26er vs the 29er debate read this - it may not be about xc, instead am and dh but the same basic principles apply.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Burning-Question-Will-the-29er-Replace-the-26-2011.html

Thank you Hamish

rone

Eats Squid
Why - because they have the same rim diameter? That doesn't make sense. A 700c with 23c (road) tyres is closer in rolling diameter to a 26" MTB with 2.1" tyres than a 29".
Not sure. Of the roadies I know that have made the transition the larger proportion of them have gravitated towards 29ers as they seem to prefer them. And Cannondales for some reason.