First PIVOT firebird here in WA! So I had to PIMP IT!

haritone

Likes Dirt
wow... nice.
ditto on the spec list!

Have you tested it yet?
I was thinking of either a Mach5 or Firebird for my next bike. Would be good to hear your first impressions!

Mmm yes i don't know what over came me to say that! Sorry.

Love the attention to detail with the color co-ordination!

Last edited:
firstly.....that is a bloody nice bike

i was lucky enough to hold a pivot demo day with my bike shop in adelaide and may i say this bike is unbelievable, 7 inchs of travel but rides like it has none and not to forget the weight, bloody light for that much travel :)

yeah definately need a spec list and weight...

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you tested it yet?
I was thinking of either a Mach5 or Firebird for my next bike. Would be good to hear your first impressions!
They are both pretty different bikes. The Mach 5 is much racier whole the FB is like a big comfy lounge chair.

Some interesting bits on your FB with those cranks, wheels and tyres.

Did it come with the updated front derailleur mount?

Everard

Likes Bikes
Sorry Peeps, just been working all day and then went out night riding.
Going to do the same 2moro, just working out little minor adjustments and getting used to the beast. My other bike is a Pivot Mach4, so this is a major change. First thing I really want to do is change the stem from a 60mm to a 90mm. I just feel like I am hanging onto the handlebars and pulling myself onto the bike all the time. Whereas on the Mach 4 I am usually pushing myself away from the handlebars with my palms.
Other than that the bike is a beautiful ride. Other things I noticed is i can stand up and really give it some powerful pedal strokes without the rear wheel slipping. Whereas the cross country bike usually always slips. I have to really lean back while standing up to give it traction.

The bike stats will be coming soon.

Andrew32

Likes Bikes
nice bike !

Should loose that big ring though ! Very Capable donwhill bike i should noe broke both my femurs on the first on in the country haha !

haritone

Likes Dirt
First thing I really want to do is change the stem from a 60mm to a 90mm. I just feel like I am hanging onto the handlebars and pulling myself onto the bike all the time. Whereas on the Mach 4 I am usually pushing myself away from the handlebars with my palms.
I'd agree that a 60mm stem would feel too short on an AM bike like the Firebird. But unless you're feeling cramped behind the bars i'd be inclined to leave the stem around 75mm, as jumping from 60mm to 90mm would have a significant effect on the handling incl. slower turns. (correct me if i'm wrong). Given that a badass like the Firebird should be more at home on the downhills, I wouldn't try to make it feel more like your Mach 4. Pure XC bikes are going to have longer stems for climbing and less twitchy steering, which makes them better suited to their type of trails.

My XC bike has a 120mm stem, and my AM bike 75mm. When I first rode the AM bike I had the same reaction (and experience) as yours - too short! But I gave it a chance and have gotten used to it. I just had to get used to the idea that they were completely different bikes with different purpose, and the shorter 75mm suits the purpose. Maybe give it a few more rides and see if it grows on you?

Of course this is just my opinion and definitely do whatever makes your ride feel better for you :)

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That looks amazing. I hadn;t heard of the brand until the beginning of this year. Saw them at a open day/ride thing and they sure looked the goods.

Awesome build, loving the gold.

Disco

Likes Dirt
BLING! I'm impressed by this, great spec, great colour scheme. :D

And an EXTREMELY capable all mountain beast by the look of it too!
My style of bike!

Jonny26

Likes Dirt
I would really love one of these, they look so sweet, nice and fast with next to no pedal bob I hear.
how does it ride?!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would really love one of these, they look so sweet, nice and fast with next to no pedal bob I hear.
how does it ride?!
They ride great. Much better than the first gen SC Nomad. BB is a bit higher too. Steering (with a 75mm stem) feels spot on and a tiny bit quicker than the old Nomad.

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd agree that a 60mm stem would feel too short on an AM bike like the Firebird. But unless you're feeling cramped behind the bars i'd be inclined to leave the stem around 75mm, as jumping from 60mm to 90mm would have a significant effect on the handling incl. slower turns. (correct me if i'm wrong). Given that a badass like the Firebird should be more at home on the downhills, I wouldn't try to make it feel more like your Mach 4. Pure XC bikes are going to have longer stems for climbing and less twitchy steering, which makes them better suited to their type of trails.
I agree with haritone. Seems crazy to go from 60mm to 90mm without trying 70 or 80. Stem length can change the downhill handling characteristics from burly and comfortable to downright scary.

You might also find that slamming the stem down to the headset with no spacers and running a 70mm stem would be sufficient. Lower at the front stretches you out as if you are running a longer stem but you don't have that horrible boat steer of a long stem when you start hitting gnarly downhill sections.

Oh and by the way. The bike looks amazing mate.