First race

scotty thommo

Likes Dirt
Hi guys

I've recently purchased a xc bike and I'm thinking about starting racing and was just wondering where in Melbourne is a good place to start???
What is a good race/series to do that is easyish not to fussed on how hard the track is as I also race down hill so I can Handel that but I don't want to start on somethin like a 6 hour???

jayjay3032

Likes Bikes
I'm in the same boat. A mate has convnced me to do the crazy 6 solo at the you yangs.

I'm gonna do it and I'll finish but I'm a little scared

akashra

Eats Squid
Jeep Dirt Crits are the perfect place for anyone to start. Shortish race, friendly atmosphere, and a variety of skill levels across rider and grades. They're every Thursday night at Westgate park - enter via Lorimer st. 6:30 start.

.stu.

Likes Dirt
+1 Jeep Dirt Crits at Westgate Park.

Did my first ever MTB race there back in '06. Still my absolute favourite mid-week ride.

Fifteen.Hundred

Likes Dirt
Jeep Dirt Crits also operate on Wednesday nights at Lysterfield, although the series is currently postponed til the trails there are repaired and the park is re-opened.

The Enduro's are always fun but also look at some of the club races that go on. I know that clubs like the dirt riders offer short course racing through summer & winter series.

morgy

Likes Bikes
theres the victorian enduro series,victorian State XC Series,Nemisis Marathon Challenge but depends on what you want to do

adaib

Likes Dirt
There is also the option of doing the crazy six, or other 6 hour races as a team instead of solo. I would think this would be better than it being solo for your first, as it might put you off racing ... :)
Six hours in the saddle is hard, it doesn't sound hard until you've done one.
Team racing lets you have a break to catch your breath as well as think about the course and how to tackle it next lap, and it will also give you some time to sort out any issues with your bike that may result becasue your pushing it too hard in "fisrt race syndrome"

Just a thought

keyatch

Likes Bikes
Yeah, i think i'll be doing it in a team of 2. After 6 hours in the saddle i'd be pretty close to dead.

I would love to have a crack at doing one solo one day, but i think that's a ways off at the moment.

adaib

Likes Dirt
I would love to have a crack at doing one solo one day, but i think that's a ways off at the moment.
Good idea. To give you an idea, i've been riding for 6 years or something, racing for 4. i did my first 6 hour in Feb.
I got a really good result, but it certainly wasn't my first race.
I probably could have started earlier, but I didn't and now i do them once or twice a month

Lard

Likes Dirt
You could also try something like The Duael that's on this weekend, find a mate who's keen and sign up. It's a 6 hour but you have to compete in pairs, and you have to ride alternate laps. It'd be lot better introduction than a 6 hour solo I think. The course is apparently very flat as well.