First real bike time

Slow moe

Likes Dirt
So, my big guy is about to turn 5 and it is time for a bike with pedals - I know, I have been a neglectful parent but he has been having such fun on his balance bike that I have left it until now.
Looking for any recommendations and insight from those who know best.
He is 112cm tall. He is scary quick on his balance bike and loves it so expect it will be a very well used bit of kit.
Any thoughts appreciated

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Best and ‘most used’ kids bike we ever had was a BYK. I think it was the 350. Geo seemed to really work well to instil confidence

moorey

call me Mia
So, my big guy is about to turn 5 and it is time for a bike with pedals - I know, I have been a neglectful parent but he has been having such fun on his balance bike that I have left it until now.
Looking for any recommendations and insight from those who know best.
He is 112cm tall. He is scary quick on his balance bike and loves it so expect it will be a very well used bit of kit.
Any thoughts appreciated
What sort of coin are you prepared to spend? We have a local guy who had been custom building bikes for his kids over the years, and have now turned it into a fledgling business. A lot of people don’t wanna spend too much on a bike. they know their kids will quickly grow out of, but I’ve always been in the camp of putting them on a bike that does the job properly and I really enjoy riding, And ignite the fire. That way you can continue to be saddled with debt as they grow for years to come.
Doug used to be on here, but I’m not sure these days if he still hanging around.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
My eldest hated coaster brakes, so I got him a second hand Commencal 14" bike with v-brakes. He outgrew that quickly and I got a second hand Islabikes 16". Then a micro mini (more like a mini) race BMX.
Incidentally, I've got the little race BMX listed for sale.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
What sort of coin are you prepared to spend? We have a local guy who had been custom building bikes for his kids over the years, and have now turned it into a fledgling business. A lot of people don’t wanna spend too much on a bike. they know their kids will quickly grow out of, but I’ve always been in the camp of putting them on a bike that does the job properly and I really enjoy riding, And ignite the fire. That way you can continue to be saddled with debt as they grow for years to come.
Doug used to be on here, but I’m not sure these days if he still hanging around.
Don't bloody show me this!!!

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My oldest is about to turn 6 and he’s currently on a BYK 350. He loves it. I put the BYK knobby tyres on for some more volume and grip on gravel etc.

Check out gumtree/marketplace etc because you can find them really cheap second hand. Bought him a second one for the holiday place for $40

My fella is 127cm and probably getting too big but a 20” MTB is very heavy in comparison so I’m hesitant to make the jump

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’d also add, I don’t think suspension is a useful thing on a kids MTB for anyone other than really advanced kids.

Understand there are kids that it could be useful for but most of the people here would have learned to ride without suspension and it didn’t harm anyone. It’s just too heavy

Last edited:

ausdb

Being who he is
Looks nice, would be even better if they had a page you didnt have to log into instatrack to view.

moorey

call me Mia
Already looked, a blank page is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Just one of my LTIH's as I get older.
Instagram is easier, cheaper and more accessible to most people. And you can make your own foil hat.

Slow moe

Likes Dirt
@moorey I wish I could fork out that kind of money but I don't think I can even afford to ask how much. Mr 3 is only marginally smaller too so I can't really even justify that it will be used by multiple kids.

@yuley95 and @caad9 I think a byk may be on the horizon. Thanks for the offer @ausdb but wrong side of the country sadly.

ausdb

Being who he is
@moorey I wish I could fork out that kind of money but I don't think I can even afford to ask how much. Mr 3 is only marginally smaller too so I can't really even justify that it will be used by multiple kids.

@yuley95 and @caad9 I think a byk may be on the horizon. Thanks for the offer @ausdb but wrong side of the country sadly.
No worries, the only problem with Byk is the non standard wheel sizes locks you into buying tyres off them and as your little guy gets taller the seatpost/seat combo only goes up so far. I solved the seatpost issue with one of these cut down a bit and the seat clamp that came with the saddle I bought.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
From 4 till 6-7 I had mine on 16" SE Lil Rippers.

They are hacks at that age, gears and suspension are wasted on them.

When they were 7ish I put them onto 20" Kona Shred MTB's... they were heavy bikes with about 60mm of useless suspension.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
No worries, the only problem with Byk is the non standard wheel sizes locks you into buying tyres off them and as your little guy gets taller the seatpost/seat combo only goes up so far. I solved the seatpost issue with one of these cut down a bit and the seat clamp that came with the saddle I bought.
I found some catalogue tyres and got my LBS to order them in. Was pretty cost effective