First road bike advice.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Hey forum.

I have a mate who is looking at buying a road bike for commuting.
He enjoys slower cadence grinding rather than the higher cadence riding.
This is the bike he is looking at.
10564740_10202356365060390_1926588383_n.jpg

His concern is the quality of the bike over all, he has tested bikes and they have started to creak and make some very unhappy noises when he starts grinding away and putting the power down. Also if you could give some feed back on the group set, it is a sram double tap apex.

Overall after some good feedback on the overall build of the bike, not having much knowledge in this area I thought it would be best to open it up to you all.

Thanks

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I'd say middle of the road bike, middle of the road groupset. As for grinding and creaking, unless he is an absolute monster, I would say most of that comes down to bike maintenance and correct adjustment. He really needs to do a test ride and see.

Does the bike fit him? He had better be flexible, those bars look like they have a massive drop on them.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks like an old Orbea Onxy frame, probably mid range groupo... By no means a bad bike. :music:

With some maintenance even a cheap roadie can be a good one; the best roadies are those that get ridden! :spy:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Apex is the entry level road group for SRAM but there's not much difference between it and the next two levels except for materials used in construction. It's good kit.
The frameset itself is as Cul points out...also entry level. So a reasonable starters bike...but that bar is just daft.

As for the creaking and groaning...that might be due to Old Mate's technique coupled with some barely used bikes. Slow cadence grinding is like trying to drive through a school zone doing 40 in sixth gear and then planting the accelerator...the car wasn't designed for it and this bike (and most road bikes) certainly isn't. If he wants to grind he'd be better off with a SS.

SCO-e

Squid
Along the the above "grinding isn't the way to go" points, the rider in question might be getting creaking from other areas such as improper gear choice or an insanely high seat!

If ur mate wants entry level get this bike if it is a good price for both parties. Just make sure it's a proper fit. I wouldn't worry about the drop in the bars, they probably will never use it.

Cadence - Spin it to win it