First serious DH rig

highharry

Likes Dirt
ive been riding hardtail freeride for quite a while now coming on 4 years and hav'nt raced at all during this time. I love my freeride and all but im keen to get in on this sunshine series. Ive thought about riding my hardtail but it has become a pile of puss and am wanting to move up to a dually. Im 17, 190 cm talls and weigh 80kilos and love to give whatever is infront of me my all so i had in mind a sturdy large bike but not to sure what my best options are. ive got 3000 grand in the kitty. I have also trawled through the sale section and seen some pretty neat looking demo's, dh teams and glorys.
any thoughts would be ace.

andrew_o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
By the sounds of it I reckon you should save an extra 400 dollars or so and buy a new Giant Glory Dh1, Very good value for money or a Norco a-line or somethign on the lines of them.

Howie66

Likes Dirt
Couldnt agree more andrew..

I dunno if you have seen this or not.. but might be worth a look mate.. Its a large frame which will suit your 190cm height.

Its a bloody sweet bike this one, a little over your budget, but not much :)

Ive added a pic of it just for good measure.. And no i do not know this seller and I am trying to help him sell it, I just think its sweet as, and wish i could afford it myself :mad:

Good Luck

Howie

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Giant-Glory-...ryZ98083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Attachments

ankle

Likes Bikes
Yes i would also save a little more and get the giant. I have had a Giant DH Team for years with no problems. Great vale for money considering the parts that come with it.

Ankle

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A norco atomik would suit. Can get one at well under $3000 and they are a great bike.

highharry

Likes Dirt
i have just had a look into the mongoose ec-d, its along the lines of 3500 new but i was thinking that the specs are pretty similar to the glory dh1, therefore not the best value for money. That norco for the price is mint. definetly sus that one out.
thanks.

clockworked

Like an orange
at that price, between mongoose, norco, kona and giant you are really going to like whatever you buy.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but really - you're not sam hill and neither am I.

Get the one you like the look of, or the best deal you get. Ignore all the internet hype crap and go with your guts

I deadset love my housemate's glory and my mates' atomik and a-line. They are different bikes, and have different strengths, but downhill tracks have different sections - and what is strong in one area is made up for in another and vice versa.

go nuts!

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have just had a look into the mongoose ec-d, its along the lines of 3500 new but i was thinking that the specs are pretty similar to the glory dh1, therefore not the best value for money. That norco for the price is mint. definetly sus that one out.
thanks.
For $3500? Where from?

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought a Glory DH1 for 3 grand flat then put a Sunline Direct Mount Stem on the Boxxers and nice 19mm rise 750mm wide Sunline V-one Bars for and extra 270...She's sweet now!

highharry

Likes Dirt
MSRP: $3299.99 (MSRP reflects US pricing and does not include freight & assembly and may vary by region)
thats staight off the mongoose site and the exchange is up around 90 these days so roughly 3500 without freight.

frdlvr

Likes Dirt
Kona Stab, Norco Atomik or A-Line or Giant Glory (read the write up in the AMB Mag last issue as they did a under $4000 DH bike issue)...

Look at the bike shed site for prices as you wont be able to beat them...

Unless you want a second hand one you could get one off here in the pro section you could get a Yeti 303DH - Medium (Team Issue) 2007 - $3400