First Service Issues???

>moto<

Likes Bikes
I bought my bike (Giant Reign 1) on 19/07/11. Because I work overseas a fair bit I haven't really ridden it that much. I have taken it to the shop previously asking about adjusting the brakes because even with the grub screw wound fully the brakes pull too far into the bars and hit my fingers. The guy told me they would need bleeding and I'd need to book it in. Fair enough.

Anyway, yesterday I drop my bike off and they say it isn't really a first service after 3.5 months despite the fact I haven't had my first service done (nor any other work to the bike). I advise them that it's hardly been ridden as evident by the condition, brake wear etc and that all I want done is the brakes sorted so I actually have some adjustment, the gears adjusting (cable stretch) and also my rear cassette looks like it's shit a bearing or something as the wheel moves from side to side by 1cm. I also mentioned it's done probably 7 loops of the Ourimbah XC circuit all up, that's it.

He said he'd look at it but I'm pretty sure they are going to try and charge me. What do you guys reckon? Do I pay or stand my ground and complain? I have given them a second bike at the same time that they are doing a service on that too so it's not like they aren't going to get any money out of me (additional to the $2,500 I paid 3.5 months ago for the bike and all the extras I bought).

I can't access my manual of purchase information at the p[resent, but what is the warranty period and does this cover components such as drivetrain?

Cheers,

Steve

G-Tek

Likes Bikes
Mate, you shouldn't have to pay for that service. They should honour their word and give you the first service free. As you said you have hardly ridden it and only want a few little adjustments made.

Regarding the rear wheel issue, it might be that the hub has come loose, would be a 5 min (or less) to tighten the cones and your away again. Are the hubs shimano? I've had the same issue a few times with my shimano hubs on my reign.

Hope you get it sorted mate.

SOTTA

Likes Dirt
Stand your ground on this one mate! A first free service from a reputable shop should cover exactly what your talking about. Brakes, gears and a thourough going over of the whole bike to make sure nothing has come loose or failed pre-maturely. You should not be paying for the service labour and if anything needs to be replaced and or fixed that is not a result of normal wear and tear (from what you say there is little chance of that) then I would imagine that after 3.5 months that should be covered by warranty. All that aside though, I would have thaught that your original 2.5k would make you a valued customer whom they would want to return in the future! You will probably spend a lot more money on bikes in the future and it is entirely up to you which shop you spend it at!

>moto<

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the replies guys. It was good to get a sanity check that I'm not in some way being unreasonable. The rear hub is a Shimano M525. To be honest I would have looked at it myself but only noticed it when loading the bike up to take it to the shop.

I don't want to fall out with the shop as they are very close and I have limited time to organize this sort of stuff so it is handy.

I'll wait and see what they do, he said he'd call me when he looks at it (tomorrow) and let me know. If he tries to say the work doesn't fall under the first service I'll push the subject, if I still get no joy I'll ask to speak to the manager/owner (pretty sure he is the guy who sold me the bike).

Thanks again for the help.

Steve

mudmav

Likes Dirt
I can tell you from experience that those m525 freehubs come loose all the time, easy to tighten but they also break easy if your not a featherweight or you mash the pedals fairly hard

struggles

Likes Dirt
Its a first service and unless they said when you bought that it had a time limit it should be treated as a first service.

I took my last new bike in for a first service after 9 weeks and about 1500kms and didn't have any issues.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Just question them on the time frame that a first service applies to. In my experience, a first service is something that should be done within six months of operation and you do qualify for a first service. The things you've listed are all things that should be inspected and rectified in a first service.

>moto<

Likes Bikes
Thanks all, seems pretty unanimous they need to stop being dicks and deal with it. I could have brought it in after 2 weeks but what would that have achieved if I had only ridden it once?? There would be nothing to adjust! Maybe that's what they prefer :tape:

I'm time poor and would have taken my bike there without question before being so close, I may consider my options next time.

Again, thanks for all the helpful replies, at least I now know to keep an eye on that rear hub :clap2:

shakes

Likes Dirt
Sounds like your need to swap you LBS.
Definate way to fly if they wont do a first service on it. As stated ask how long their 'free service' period is on a new bike. This will differ from shop to shop.

Your brake bleed is an iffy one, most places will charge for it even though I beleive they shouldnt.

Hub adjust, quick gear adjust, quick brake adjust, headset check, BB check pad wear, tire pressure, chain lube. and all nuts and bolts on the bike tightened. Is what is covered at most shops I've been around.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Local shop here does lifetime free servicing. Mate had his 20yo MTB serviced recently for the first time in about 15years for no cost. They aint the cheapest though in othre areas.

>moto<

Likes Bikes
Well as an update the LBS called me this morning and said that the rear hub play was just the cones that needed tightening. He has done a first service and advised that there would be no charge for that. He did make out that he was doing me a big favour though and that he shouldn't really be doing at this stage in the game if the bike has been used or not. I couldn't be arsed to argue the toss.

They are getting $185 for the other bike work so maybe he just rolled up the cost in that :tape:

Still not convinced I'll go back, least my bike is sorted for a few more rides now :biggrin:

Thanks for the helpful comments.

ssjgogeta

Likes Dirt
LBS's Neck Up!

I think sometimes that these bike shop "douchebags" are living in "Bike Shop Land" and not in the real world. They need to remember that it's important to keep their customers on-side if they want their business to succeed. With online purchases only increasing, it should be a no brainer for them to adjust their business model (attitude) accordingly.

The fact that they have already made you feel like an asshole is bad enough. You should take your business elsewhere! I don't get my pizza from "Pizza Hut" just because they are the closest to my place. If you care about your ride, you will go to the best bike shop there is, even at the cost of convenience.

You might go through a few shops before you finally settle down, but when you do, you'll know it and boy will it feel good!

What exactly are you being charged $185 for?

Chances are that if the cockhead got back to you & was being rather indignant & acting like he did you a favour, then I'd back your gut feeling that he's rolling it into the cost of your "other" work & trying to kindly fuck you in the arse.

I've been around the traps long enough & have been on both side of the counter as well as being involved in the industry at a supply level & I've NEVER heard of such a thing as far as Elma Fudd's "1st service policy" goes- if you were taking the bike to them more than 12mths after the date of purchase, then Elma might have a point, however even then given how fickle the market is if it were my shop then I'd be going out of my way to create goodwill to ensure I retain all of my customers, especially over something as minor as a first service. I don't know a single shop on the east coast that operates the way this clown is with you. My advice would be to ask him to thoroughly itemise what he intends to do & hand it to you on paper, then ask him to kindly hold off on doing the work for 24hrs while you "make sure you can afford to get the work done", & consult his competitor/s & ask for a quote to do the same work. DO NOT go to the competitor with the list in hand & ask for a better deal, you deserve a punch in the face if so, just simply ask the competitor/s to quote for the repairs. If the numbers are substantially cheaper ie >$30 the difference then there lies your answer.

Either way, I'd be taking my business somewhere else if it were me.

>moto<

Likes Bikes
Hmmmm......now you have me thinking again!

It's been so long since I got a LBS to do anything I don't know what prices should be charged. MTB is my 2nd/3rd hobby after racing motorbikes (enduro) so paying $185 for anything on the moto is normal, a new chain would cost more than that! Now that I think about it though $185 does sound steep for an MTB and I'm ashamed to say I don't even really know what it's for :mmph:

I gave him my 5 year old Trek Fuel Ex which was changing gears awfully and had a bent rear mech. I gave him a brand new SRAM chain, XT Shadow mech and PG990 cassette to fit to the bike and said it would be worth changing the cables too as they were the originals from years ago. So just to clarify, I had already paid for the drive train parts (excluding cable and little bits) and he's not doing a full service, just replacing the parts I gave him to make the drivetrain/gears sweet again.

He did say there was an issue with the rear hub and he did also sound sheepish when telling me the price which now makes me even more suspicious. Anyway, I've already agreed for him to go ahead so if nothing else I'll treat it as a lesson learnt. I was busy at work at the time and just said agreed without really going to the length of finding out specifically what I'm paying for.

I'll see what my bill comprises of before making any further judgement........

Last edited:

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
I gave him my 5 year old Trek Fuel Ex which was changing gears awfully and had a bent rear mech. I gave him a brand new SRAM chain, XT Shadow mech and PG990 cassette to fit to the bike and said it would be worth changing the cables too as they were the originals from years ago. So just to clarify, I had already paid for the drive train parts (excluding cable and little bits) and he's not doing a full service, just replacing the parts I gave him to make the drivetrain/gears sweet again.

He did say there was an issue with the rear hub and he did also sound sheepish when telling me the price which now makes me even more suspicious. Anyway, I've already agreed for him to go ahead so if nothing else I'll treat it as a lesson learnt. I was busy at work at the time and just said agreed without really going to the length of finding out specifically what I'm paying for.
So....
just to get this straight.
You are being charged $185 to INSTALL the following:
- Chain
- Rear deraileur
- Cassette
He will SUPPLYING, INSTALLING and INVESTIGATING the following
- Gear cables ($30.00 approx retail]
- Investigate the free wheel [no doubt the bill will go up if he decides it needs replacing]

YOU ARE BEING SCALPED!!!!
I am no professional mechanic, just a good amateur, however it would take me around an hour to do all that and that is if I meticulously clean everything as I.
Assuming a charge out laoubour rate of $60 ph [no idea of actual LBS labour rate I confess] this still means he is taking in excess of $90.00 off you for no reason

Take your bike back and go elsewhere

rone

Eats Squid
I'd expect a damn sight more for my $185 than what you listed. Agree with the above. Hopefully the price he quoted includes a piece of wood to bite down on so it doesn't hurt as much when he is rear-ending you.

For the record I work in the industry and we will strip a bike down to a raw frame, check and clean every single component, regrease and reassemble and fit new cables, outers and grips, all for $200. If there are extra costs on top we call a customer to let them know before proceeding.

Close to that is what I would expect for $185.

Maybe he thinks you got the drivetrain components online and is stiffing you for that.