First Service Issues???

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Don't name and shame until something goes tits up. So far you don't know exactly what he is charging you for so hang off on the naming for now please. ;)

SOTTA

Likes Dirt
Time to find a new LBS mate! Even if its further away. A good shop will remember that their customers have a choice. I think these guys are trying to rip you right off!

shakes

Likes Dirt
Hmmmm......now you have me thinking again!

It's been so long since I got a LBS to do anything I don't know what prices should be charged. MTB is my 2nd/3rd hobby after racing motorbikes (enduro) so paying $185 for anything on the moto is normal, a new chain would cost more than that! Now that I think about it though $185 does sound steep for an MTB and I'm ashamed to say I don't even really know what it's for :mmph:

I gave him my 5 year old Trek Fuel Ex which was changing gears awfully and had a bent rear mech. I gave him a brand new SRAM chain, XT Shadow mech and PG990 cassette to fit to the bike and said it would be worth changing the cables too as they were the originals from years ago. So just to clarify, I had already paid for the drive train parts (excluding cable and little bits) and he's not doing a full service, just replacing the parts I gave him to make the drivetrain/gears sweet again.

He did say there was an issue with the rear hub and he did also sound sheepish when telling me the price which now makes me even more suspicious. Anyway, I've already agreed for him to go ahead so if nothing else I'll treat it as a lesson learnt. I was busy at work at the time and just said agreed without really going to the length of finding out specifically what I'm paying for.

I'll see what my bill comprises of before making any further judgement........
Unless there is a portion of the story missing - Your being ripped.

Generic Cables $30 max
Drivetrain swap including straightening a hanger - 30mins max in a workshop assuming $60ph - $30. $45 tops
General service on the expensive side - $90

He is sneaking the 'first service' into that quote, As said, ask for an itemised reciept and politely call his bluff.

Either way from now on find somewhere else to shop.

nickdos

Likes Dirt
If its been a while since the last service then they may well have serviced the shocks/forks - that could make up the difference in charges...

user name

Likes Dirt
Im no expert either as i do all my own work, but $185 for some cables & labour is crazy expensive! form time to time i get my LBS to do a thing or two as i dont have the whizz-banger tool to do the job but it normally comes to like $15 for 15 mins or what ever... I'd like to know what theyve actually done to your bike, then all of Rotorburn will know if theyve stooged you!

wombat

Lives in a hole
name and shame
Just to comment on this quickly:

The reason we don't allow people to come on here and start naming shop and bad-mouthing them is because, as very evident in this thread, often no one has all the facts.
In this case, the customer isn't yet even entirely sure what the charges include, and everyone else having a stab at the costing has even less idea. I'm not trying to defend the store, but how do we know that there weren't a few bolts with rounded heads that needed to be drilled out and replaced, or a sticky shifter that needed to stripped, or other issues that can make a 'quick and simple' service anything but.

I totally understand that not all businesses are at the level that we might like, but we have no interest in getting involved in slandering what could be a perfectly good operation, based on some miscommunication and a bunch of speculation.

dj3

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i know alot of shops in my area that will charge upwards of $500 to assemble bikes with all the parts bought from internet retailers, maybe they are trying to do something of the sort for installing you supplied gearing.

>moto<

Likes Bikes
Just to add, the reason I haven't 'named and shamed' is because I don't really believe in doing that, not unless the shop was totally diabolical anyway.

The other reason is, as I have said myself, I'm not 100% on what I'm paying for. I need to wait and see what has been done before making any untoward judgments. If they do charge me $185 for doing very little then I'll question it, either way, I won't be going there again if that's the case.

The bike is supposed to be ready tomorrow so we'll see. I do know that:

- None of the bolts were rounded though they may have been tough to get out for all I know.
- I specifically mentioned that I only wanted the parts supplied to be fitted and any associated bits to be supplied to get that done (cables etc).
- Yes, I did buy the parts overseas and asked them to fit them. I did/do feel guilty about doing that but that's life.

What's even more annoying though is my GF picked up my Giant on Friday and the gears work perfectly again, however, one of the main things I wanted them to do (and was very specific about it) is to sort my brakes out and they haven't.

So, I have to run the adjuster fully out so that my brake lever doesn't hit the bar under hard braking. It's so annoying as my fingers get in the way preventing me from braking properly. Bearing in mind I took the bike to them after buying it asking them to adjust it only to be told it will be done with the first service annoys me even more. This was how is was supplied from new. Now I have to take the bike back to them again, it will be the 3rd time the bike has been down to the shop to sort the brakes out, how hard is it??!! :miserable:

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Moral of the story: Don't buy overseas if you can't do it yourself, it will cost you $185.
Not really the moral here. The guy is trying to figure out if he is being charged fairly, and from the information he has provided I'm pretty sceptical.

Just went through the labour per hour of my LBS, along with the costs for various services and approximately $185 would cover the parts installation, full service and bleed easily, assuming the guy doing the work was slow.

I would be getting a quote for the parts installation at another store before you get it done.

>moto<

Likes Bikes
Errrrr......no!

The LBS still hasn't called me. I could have called them but I'm busy at the moment preparing for a long weekend away on the moto. I'm kinda interested also to see how long it will take them to call me considering I should have picked it up a week ago today.

It's sealed the deal though, I'm sorry to say I won't be taking anything there again.

SOTTA

Likes Dirt
Pretty sure it doesn't take that long to service a push bike. Pretty piss week that a week later they havn't called you as well. You'd think that even if they thought you were coming in or contacting them, that after a week they would wonder why they hadn't heard from you! Time for a new and better shop mate!

>moto<

Likes Bikes
Well, I gave in and called them. The bike is ready and was apparently finished last week but he said one of the 'boys' must have forgotten to call me.

My girlfriend will be going down tomorrow to pick it up along with an itemized receipt. The cost has gone up to $241 without my consent as they have added other bits including inner and outer gear cables and rear brake pads (which I have at home). I did mention I already have break pads and he said to bring them down and he'd swap them out for free and remove the pads they put in off the bill.

The extra cost was a new free hub. I have no other details but at present I'm up to pay $241 for:

Fitment of chain, rear cassette and rear mech (supplied to LBS already paid for).
A new free hub (don't know which one) and fitting/re-lacing of wheel
Inner and outer gear cables and fitment
New rear brake pads for Avid Juicy brakes
Associated labour to fit and adjust the above

I'll post more when I have the receipt assuming it has more details. I think it sounds better than before, but still high. Still left with my brakes on my new bike (purchased from them) needing sorting out though after it being down to the shop 3 times :tape:

Last edited: