First time Dad - was your riding time restricted?

Arete

Likes Dirt
Our little guy just got out of the NICU yesterday after being born on 420.

I feel like I'm just climbing out of a time machine made of shitty nappies, hospital alarms and clothes covered in baby vomit someone pushed me into last week sometime.

What is this "riding" you speak of?

indica

Serial flasher

I feel like I'm just climbing out of a time machine made of shitty nappies, hospital alarms and clothes covered in baby vomit someone pushed me into last week sometime.

What is this "riding" you speak of?
Congrats, hope all is well.

mtb1611

Seymour
Well folks,

News around my house is that Mrs Mofo is expecting our first Bub in early August.
Although I feel that I'm fully prepared to give up the majority of my non working time to spend quality time with the family, I just wondered how you guys faired with "lads time " out riding with having a new born in the house? I currently ride at least once a week, sometimes more.
I really don't want to lose the once a week ride and by all accounts Mrs Mofo is keen for me not to miss out on it either (she pretty good like that).

You guys got any advice or stories?

Johnny.
Congrats to you both Johnny, fantastic news, hope the pregnancy progresses smoothly.

I'd agree with the other folks, parenthood definitely impacts on your riding time (and pretty much every other aspect of your life). My wife had our boys (twins) in June 2005 and whilst I managed a few gym sessions each week whenever I could sneak them in I was lucky to ride once a fortnight for the first few months. Once you get into a routine you'll be able to work it in but most likely not at the same times that you're used to. Mornings, nights, after lunch on the weekend, whenever it can be done. On another note, be prepared for Mrs Mofo's perspective to change a little; I don't say that as an inflammatory comment but being a new mum is a tough and tiring gig, both physically and mentally so she may in times of stress be less inclined to encourage you to head out on the bike. Happy to be proven wrong there though!

As others have highlighted, the best skillset a parent can develop is that of time management and consistency. To a large extent your routine will be governed by bub however they can also adapt to yours, you just need to be consistent.

There are lots of dads on here, don;t be afraid to ask for help.

All the best mate!

Congrats Arete hope he's fit, well and healthy.

Last edited:

haltz

Likes Dirt
Just crossed the 3 month line my young fella, starting to get to that point now where I can say I'm going for a ride with out copping a guilt trip haha my main fight is that I work a minimum 50 hour week so I don't really feel like riding after pretty much not seeing him all week, even when I do ride I can't wait to get home if you know what I mean, not riding any slower though just carrying a few extra kg around

santacruzkid

Likes Dirt
Congratulations. - You'll enjoy every moment of family time.

Riding does decrease a fair amount at the start but if you work it right you can still get out and enjoy the time on a bike. You usually end up changing your arvo rides to 6am rides. And the DH arvos with the mates become far less the usual.

But its not all doom and gloom. you get to buy yourself a trail bike and the times you can get out even if it is for just the hour its all justified.

And with my little one turning 2 going for rides at the Douglas MTB Park become more of a family thing now, not just an on your own ride. Which those rides tend to happen 2-3 times a week.

Good luck just work your time the best you can.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I started riding again when we found out we were going to be plus 1 and I realised that by the time it was a teenager I would be in my late 50s and the only way I could keep up with it by then was to be much fitter than I was at the time.

Once the Young Bloke came along and we had developed a routine then getting a ride in was relatively easy. I'd have a long lunch and take off for a 45 minute ride with colleagues and try and throw in a weekend ride as well. Then I got the chance to work part time and I'd got a little more time to play with...

BUT

he started school this year and suddenly I'm only working school hours so there's no more lunch riding and the Boss is back working full time on a 7 day roster and suddenly there's not much riding time to be had at all. It'd be great if the Young Bloke would accept a tag along bike I have but he views it as a potential instrument of torture. So no go.

I'm on the committee for the local MTB club and have not even been to any events so far this year!! Done plenty behind the scenes but no saddle time...damn it.

Looking forward to the time when YB can get himself home from school and I can adjust my work hours again to fit riding in..