Five Ten Impact Sole Damage

padams10003

Likes Dirt
I bought a pair of impacts in May and already the sole on the left shoe has a few of the knobs ripped of and a big rip in the sole. As you can see in the photo there is minimal wear on the right shoe.

510a.jpg510b.jpg

I normally ride a couple of times a week (30-50km) and have Saint pedals on both bikes (with pins fully extended).

Is this normal wear and tear I should I be taking these in for a warranty claim?

stirk

Burner
Your trails have more sharp right hand turns than left.

My saints wear my shins more than my shoes!

stoo

Likes Dirt
I've had a pair of those for about 6 months and the soles are totally shredded, the pics don't really show that though ( big tear in the middle is obvious but there are many deep cuts right through the outer layer )
My first pair of impacts were really good, then the second pair lost their soles when I left them in the sun for an hour.
These new ones are all good apart from the fact that the soles can't handle big pedal pins!!!!
How hard is it to test products thoroughly before production?????

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I bought a pair of impacts in May and already the sole on the left shoe has a few of the knobs ripped of and a big rip in the sole. As you can see in the photo there is minimal wear on the right shoe.

View attachment 318277View attachment 318278

I normally ride a couple of times a week (30-50km) and have Saint pedals on both bikes (with pins fully extended).

Is this normal wear and tear I should I be taking these in for a warranty claim?
A similar story here too. After many years of "they're just shoes" mentality I brought some line kings. It didn't take long for my pedal to tear them, splits to develop, and the soles to develop a bizarre lump where my big toes sit. I swore off them after buying a pair of Teva that are better in every way. But then Pushy's were selling 5:10s for $35.00...

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
I got mine a few years ago... About 3??? And they look less worn than that, used to use DX30 pedals and for the past 2 years, been using saints.

Done about 3000km on them, soles have a few marks, but nothing like that... I'm under 70kg kitted though...

padams10003

Likes Dirt
Cheers guys, it is sounding like normal wear and tear then. When you drop over 200 for a pair of shoes, you kind of expect them to last a bit longer!!

I will see how they go (may need to do some running repairs in a few months).

robbie b

Likes Bikes
seems like that's the trade off of having awesome gripping shoes, they are probably gonna wear a little faster than something with a harder sole and less grip, but in sayin that I hae a set of specialized 2FO flats and they don't grip as well as my old five tens but are wearing out quicker, go figure, riding shoes aren't cheap, but hopefully you get what you pay for

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Try some Freeriders next time, they have indents around the circles rather than round 'knobs' that stick out for the sole and seem to wear much, much better.
I've had mine for about a year now and they've only just started showing sole wear from pins - and nothing to this extent.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I've little experience with 5.10's cycle range but relatively premature wear is typical of their climb/approach range. It's a trade off for having super-sticky soles that will grip anything (including wet grass!).

Some models are resoleable - might be worth looking into?

Flow-Rider

Burner
These are my free riders after 3 months of usage. I gave up on my impacts, use them as walking shoes because they are too heavy and hot for normal riding.

fiveten6.jpg

Try some Freeriders next time, they have indents around the circles rather than round 'knobs' that stick out for the sole and seem to wear much, much better.
I've had mine for about a year now and they've only just started showing sole wear from pins - and nothing to this extent.
What he said. I've got Freerider XVi's.
Mine have got marks from the pins in the flat section but not really what you could call tears or rips.
Been rock solid actually. Had them for coming on two years now.
Friend had a piece torn out of his soles as well, pretty sure he's on Saints too. Glued it back in and so far so good. But not as robust as mine have been.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I've been using a pair of the original style impacts from about 2004, warn, but in pretty good nick considering their age. Have they changed the rubber compound?