Five Ten shoes are great but they smell like...

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...a dead person.

OK so I love these shoes but ever since washing them down with a hose, they smell like death.

Have never had this problem with any other shoe I've ever owned. I've tried smelly shoe absorbing powders with no results. Anyone else?

zaccyboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use a gherni ;).
Maybe you just have a dead man's pair, did you buy them on special by any chance :p.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hehe.

I think spraying them down with a hose, then not drying them properly is what's done it. Not sure if I can reverse this though.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes it happened to my sneakers too, seemed to smell worse after they were washed.

I've washed my 5.10 (loafers) without a problem though - threw them in the washing machine and then in the dryer:)

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
Pack the inside of the shoe with newspaper. Take the wet newpaper out when you think its fully soaked and repack it again. Leave it overnight, repack it when you think its necessary and done. Nice clean dry shoes.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Actually the "metho" idea may not be so bad!
Must have been a newspaper or magazine I was reading - people write in asking how to clean stains etc. I did notice that for polyester garments to get smell out etc it was advised to wash in some metho, then rinse & dry. So yeah since they would be synthetic it could well work! Just stay away from the matches:D

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You don't really need to change the smell justin!
How many people are smelling your riding shoes anyway!

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably just gone a little mouldy from being wet.

Hit them with the hose again, really soke them in disinfectant, then wash it all out, then hang them on a broom handle or something inside so they can dry out properly.

chucka_2

Likes Dirt
hahaha, man ur feet must smell really bad lol. well i have never had that proble and i always wash them with the hose. but the one problem i did have was that i was doing some foot jammes and now i have shredded off a bit of tread. :(

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers for all the help guys (and gal!). Much appreciated. I'm quite sure then that it was because I didn't dry them properly after the 1st time I hosed them down (and that it's not a specific problem of this brand of shoe).

Good stuff as I love these shoes!

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just thought of something else...
If it makes you feel any better, we have one of those mats with the roads & stuff (you know the kids ones) between the kids beds, when I've been filling up the rubbish bin with water (don't ask -it's a bush set up for showers) and I've forgotten about it then it overflows, then the mat would get wet and it would start to smell pretty musty or something - but yeah kind of foul. Only way to fix it was to wash it using some washing powder & dry it properly outside.

Lol, I'm sure if you had really stinky feet and knew you did then you probably wouldn't have posted the question up on the forum!

BT180

Max Pfaff
Why do you need to wash them? They'll only get dirty next ride anyway.

I broke my Five Tens in at the WC at Stomlo this year and everyone that went knows how muddy that was. I've also had multiple rides since then in pretty bad conditions.

Just shake off as much mud as you can initially, then let them dry out and simply brush the crap off then. I wouldn't say mine still look like new, but they're in good condition.