Five Ten shoes vs the washing machine...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Today's ride got washed out pretty hard. By the time I had ridden home all my gear was wet through. I noticed that my shoes were leaving pools of black "water". I realised I have never washed them in any way, and there has been a lot of dusty rides.

So in my current spree of " meh. What could go wrong?" I have decided to give them wash. Has anyone done this before? Got any tips? My plan is skip he suds and dry on hot water unit.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have not done it with my 5 10s yet, but all my other MTB shoes have gone through Washing Machine and come out clean and ok.

will2

Likes Dirt
Did with a pair of Nike SB's before after I vomited all over them (don't ask). They weren't in great condition but wearable for walking in, if you are riding and giving them a flogging wouldn't be surprised if fell to bits. Just chick 'em in a tub of warm water with mild suds and soak then rinse a heap. More work but better than wrecked shoes.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Today's ride got washed out pretty hard. By the time I had ridden home all my gear was wet through. I noticed that my shoes were leaving pools of black "water". I realised I have never washed them in any way, and there has been a lot of dusty rides.

So in my current spree of " meh. What could go wrong?" I have decided to give them wash. Has anyone done this before? Got any tips? My plan is skip he suds and dry on hot water unit.
Washed mine in the machine plenty of times, I just chuck them in with all my other riding gear!

redline316

Likes Dirt

My mate washes all he's shoes in a washing machine all the time and puts them inside separate pillow cases so the don't bash together and wreck them.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've only destroyed a pair of Nike running shoes in the dryer...had them almost dry and put them in for a tiny bit longer but then I forgot about them! Completely stuffed them, shrunk about 2 sizes and were warped! Whoops!

Once I got home from school in the pouring rain and my grandma took my shoes and put them in the oven to the point where the sole started to get tacky... :tsk:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Washed mine in the machine plenty of times, I just chuck them in with all my other riding gear!
That's what I want to hear! Though I will be remembering the pillow slip trick for my sneaker collection. If it fails me on seude I'll advise.

stirk

Burner
If front loader, just be prepared for the noise it makes, best with other stuff even an old towel or two to help balance the spin cycle.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's what I want to hear! Though I will be remembering the pillow slip trick for my sneaker collection. If it fails me on seude I'll advise.
Yeah I chuck everything in together, the velcro on the gloves usually sticks to the shoelaces though!

I don't wash my 510's often, maybe once every few months else when they are really muddy. Just make sure you give them time to dry, sometimes can take 48 hours to dry properly!

If front loader, just be prepared for the noise it makes, best with other stuff even an old towel or two to help balance the spin cycle.
Shut the laundry door, problem solved! :p

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
If your machine is anyway modern and has "load balancing" facility, then shoes wont play nice.

Wet shoes are REALLY heavy.... and when combined with a washing machine that works on the principle of centrifugal force, it can result in broken balance springs, dropped balance weights and damaged drums.

They're shoes.... that you wear on your feet when riding.... they get smelly.... so what!

moorey

call me Mia
Elephant in the room. Newer 5 tens de-laminate of you look at them funny. The rubber on the toes of mine (impact) lifted after last machine wash. And don't even think about drying them somewhere warm, let alone the sun on a hot day.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I do it all the time. In saying that I have just liquid nailed the soles back on. I don't spin them though and let them air dry. Reinvigorates the soles too... Nice and sticky.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Party pooper. It's all about the walk from my shed to the bike. Plus I love the feeling of my shoes being too tight for 30 minutes..

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If your machine is anyway modern and has "load balancing" facility, then shoes wont play nice.

Wet shoes are REALLY heavy.... and when combined with a washing machine that works on the principle of centrifugal force, it can result in broken balance springs, dropped balance weights and damaged drums.

They're shoes.... that you wear on your feet when riding.... they get smelly.... so what!
Meh load balancing is the least of my problems with our washing machine...my missus constantly puts clothes through the machine with bobby pins in pockets etc, they eventually make their way down to the pump which gets stuck! Makes a crazy noise when it happens on our new machine, easy to get get them out as there is an access point!

These same bobby pins destroyed our Aldi special washing machine, it was bastard of a thing anyway that could tangle clothes like you wouldn't believe! Had to pull the whole thing apart to get to the pump! I had it so down pat in the end I could fix it in 5 mins!

I'm no clean freak but when you can smell yourself when you're riding you know its time to clean your kit! Phew!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well the shoes survived the rinse and spin cycles, twice...first run through released an amazing amount of grit. Accordingly they went through a second time and released even more grit. Currently drying on the hot water system. Hopefully ready for the weekend.

moorey

call me Mia
Well the shoes survived the rinse and spin cycles, twice...first run through released an amazing amount of grit. Accordingly they went through a second time and released even more grit. Currently drying on the hot water system. Hopefully ready for the weekend.
They'll be fine :popcorn:

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Done it multiple times, no shoe issues. Just some very special black marks all of the drum of the machine.