Five Ten SPD Shoes

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with the 5/10 spd shoes and if so what are your thoughts on them? Also has anyone had the issue of the cut away area not being large enough for the cleat and they've had to cut them down after purchase?
I'm looking in particular at the 'hellcat' and 'raven' model and this will be the first time in a few years that I've been clipped in on a downhill bike. Will be using them with Shimano DX pedals.

Thanks in advance :)

T-Rex

Template denier
Can you still get Hellcats? Have a friend who runs them and really rates them, but I thought he said they were discontinued.

Minnars are highly recommended, Junior has had a pair for a year and they are holding up well.

DirtDiggler

Likes Bikes
Yeah I run 5.10s and DXs...all good. 5.10 rubber is pretty good on the DX when not clipped in...but clipped is still where you'll want to be...DX + 5.10 does not = 5.10 and proper flats.

si618

Likes Dirt
Speaking from personal experience, and I know you said you're going shimano, but don't get hellcats if you have crank brother pedals, in particular candy c's don't play well. I tried them and learnt the hard way; even after widening the cage area with a dremel, couldn't unclip, crashed and stuffed up my shoulder.

These days I just ride unclipped, which is more enjoyable anyway. $50 sombrio black x-floats for work and my daily commute, 5.10 low impacts for the weekend, as good as being clipped, but more fun, imho, ymmv, blah de blah blah.

slowmick

38-39"
Like DD I run Hellcats with DX pedals. I started in Axo filters, then onto Specialized Tahoes then the Hellcats.
The Hellcats feel like your favourite globe skate shoe when you take them out of the box, full of padding and comfortable.
They are noticeably heavier than the Specialized which makes pedalling feel harder at the start but you soon forget about them. May make you fitter.
I had a bit of trouble with clipping with the hellcats when new - the cut out is quite narrow so you have to have you foot reasonably straight to get the cleat in. I didn't bother cutting out the sole as I got used to way I needed to place my foot and now it just feels natural. For a flat soled shoe they have really good grip on rocks surprisingly good in the mud. The best part of the hellcats is the solid design of the shoe. it gives you a reasonable amount of protection from stray rocks, logs etc. If you've ever copped a rock in the end of your shoe that's folded your toes back you'll know what I mean. I would buy another pair.

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
I use the Minnars and they are great - comfortable yet solid - but I must admit I haven't tried any other SPD type shoe. Only started on the clips around 6 months ago, and using Crankbrothers Mallet 3's I have no complaints (apart from trying to get used to uncliping quickly when I really need to...).

One thing I would say is that, from what I've seen of other riders, the DX's seem to be a total Pain in the .... in muddy conditions compared to the Mallets...

Last edited:

BIG RUSTY

Likes Dirt
I recently went from flats to 5-10 Ravens and DX's

No problems clipping in and out.

The Ravens have a really stiff sole which is great for riding DH but no so good for the hike back up when doing push runs.

overall I'm very happy with the combo.

DH - Rookie

Likes Bikes
Hellcats + Mallet 3's with 10mm pins. Work really really well. I hated my DX pedals a lot; I mean they were okay but there was no support compared to a platform. So I tried Mallets and they were really good but the grub screws kept unscrewing themselves. I then got larger pins that screw in only from one side and now my pedals are monsters. With weight, my foot is secured by the pins and the clip only stops my foot coming off, meaning its super stable. I can only unclip by pulling up and twisting but I like it.

The 5.10's are beast. So are mallets. That is all.

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks very much for the information thus far. Is anyone able to compare the two models (Raven and Hellcat)? Also what pedals (apart from CB Candy's) are better off avoiding when used in combination with the 5/10 shoes?

slowmick

38-39"
I think it will depend on where you need to run the cleats. I run them hard against one side of the recess to make put the shoes as far out as possible for knee comfort. this makes for a tight fit clipping in. As the hellcats have a flat sole the opening for the cleat is quite deep so that you can walk easily. on shoes that have a "nobby" sole the recess doesn't have to be as deep to make walking easier. this makes placement of the cleat less important. Have a look at the attached photos - the specialized shoe would be easier to trim to give you more clearance for the cleat.

FiveTen Minnar
fiveten minnar.jpg

Specialized Tahoe
specialized tahoe.jpg

slowmick

38-39"
the recess in the Hellcat is pretty narrow - looking at pictures of the raven sole the recess looks even narrower - this would - I guess - make it harder to clip in. (Google images is your friend).