Fixie Hate?

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What I find both hillarious and pathetic is the attitude and finger pointing coming from people who have been riding fixed gears on the street for that little bit longer than the newbies. Same goes for anyone who points a finger at kids buying an STP.

"fixies" as we know it right now is a new movement (Mash SF - 2005?). It's not 100 years old. Sure, times have changed, but I'd only hope that the guys who founded it are proud of being there at the start and knowing they had a hand in making it what it is today. I'd assume Gary Fisher feels the same way.

In the end of the day, anyone who tries to validate themseleves by pointing a finger at beginners and screaming 'bandwagon jumper' is a wanker. :rolleyes:

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
yup, and every golfer wearing Argyle socks has them because they appreciate the geometry and inherent symmetry of the design...:rolleyes:

To deny the existence of a large "trendoid" sector of the fixi riding community is to have your head in the sand.

Give it 3 years, see who still regularly rides a fixie and then we can start discussing the merits of "fixie riders" in isolation from the trend sheep.

Last edited:

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To deny the existence of a large "trendoid" sector of the fixi riding community is to have your head in the sand.
No one is denying it but one can argue that even the guys who you don't consider trendoids are trendoids themselves.

Give it 3 years, see who still regularly rides a fixie and then we can start discussing the merits of "fixie riders" in isolation from the trend sheep.
Only 3 YEARS? Lame!

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
The point stands though. Trends (for want of a better word) come and trends go. Singlespeeds, fixies, 29ers...

For making cycling interesting or for reducing the likelihood of component breakage in a cycle courier environment then it makes sense, for most other folks there's little point above and beyond it being the "in thing". Like fluro ankle socks or "Choose Life" tshirts.

The trend will move on, most folks will go back to riding their drop bar 20 speeds on the tarmac and their 27 speed duallies on the dirt.

The pretentious elitist and the dangerous twat are the two obvious reasons for fixie hate. "Trend sheep" hate comes a poor third if that.

'Ross

Eats Squid
"fixies" as we know it right now is a new movement (Mash SF - 2005?). It's not 100 years old.
Fixies are a movement created by mash??? This pretty much sums up this whole thread, a joke.

Were the mash guys the first to decide to ride a track bike on the street? I bet nobody ever did this before them, no track racers ever used to ride on the street for training, 100 YEARS AGO its not like a lot of bikes WERE ACTUALLY FIXED GEAR or anything:rolleyes:

In the end of the day, anyone who tries to validate themseleves by pointing a finger at beginners and screaming 'bandwagon jumper' is a wanker. :rolleyes:
Id like to hear of any trend/scene/subculture/passtime/activity whatever you want to call it, where beginners are not criticised by the senior members, or people who have been involved with it for longer. And Im not talking about any form of cycling.

Last edited:

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Ross, dont confuse 'when fixies started' to 'when they became mainstream'. You are at the moment.

Fixies have not been popular or mainstream for the last hundred years. Barely popular for the last 5.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Id like to hear of any trend/scene/subculture/passtime/activity whatever you want to call it, where beginners are not criticised by the senior members, or people who have been involved with it for longer. And Im not talking about any form of cycling.
Again, you're missing the point. The point I was making was that the so called senior members of the fixie scene as we know it (IE: You?) are pointing the finger, criticising beginners and prancing around with an elitist attitude, yet you've only been riding fixed for a handful of years, not a lifetime.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Again, you're missing the point. The point I was making was that the so called senior members of the fixie scene as we know it (IE: You?) are pointing the finger, criticising beginners and prancing around with an elitist attitude, yet you've only been riding fixed for a handful of years, not a lifetime.
Firstly I don't think mash contributed much at all, besides the fact that it was the first video that I saw that was actually a full length film on riding and tricks and crap. Fixies were popular wayyy before it came out, thats why it had a market to sell to and the reason why it was made in the first place.

Heres whats funny, what makes me a 'senior member of the fixie scene' ?? Because I have a heap of useless posts in the fixie thread? Just because I used to ride a fixie and so did a few others, we are suddenly bound together into something? Ride a fixie because you want to, not because you want to be accepted into some trendy sort of a subculture that hardly exists outside the internet.

And my point about other subcultures still stands, often the senior members(if you want to call them that) of any 'scene' will criticise those just starting out for a host of reasons. I am not speaking for myself here, I criticise those who have no interest in cycling, no idea how to ride a bike with no brakes, and generally no idea what they are talking about yet want to join this idealistic trendy scene which doesn't really exist. And I openly criticise people in other subcultures that I may happen to be involved in for similar reasons, flaming an idiot doesn't mean I think Im elite either.

i dislike fixie riders that ride without brakes but dont know how to stop without them. ive seen groups of hipsters riding up to busy intersections and grabbing onto stop signs to stop. if you're going to ride fixed, have at least a front brake until you get used to stopping with the pedals.
i also think no brake fixie riders with flat pedals are retarded. get clipless or toe clips if you need to use the pedals to stop.
personally i wouldnt like to ride fixed as a commute, because ive already been hit by cars three times commuting with brakes. without 'em its just one more thing you've got to think about and hope your reflexes will remember to stop with your pedals. also your tendancy to skid is much higher, and therefore worse for emergency braking.
lastly dont like the idea of pedals hitting the ground when you take tight corners (especially at speed).

all this aside, my next bike will be a (very bling)fixie- more as a sometimes bike (or pub bike i believe theyre referred to as), because i would like to develop the extra bike skills, and because a nice fixie is a very beautiful thing. I like to customise my bikes, but i do it because i enjoy it and i like beautiful bikes, not as a "travelling billboard for my ego"

as much as i dislike people just jumping onto trends because they're trendy, i think cycling is great and people doing it (whether riding fixed gear or not) should be encouraged rather than yelled at or mocked.
i do dislike however elitism in fixed gear riders. as far as i am concerned all cyclists are created equal, whether riding a super bling fixie, full carbon road bike, stp or garage sale raleigh number.

i do however have a certain soft spot for cute girls on hot bikes.

Hoffo

Cannon Fodder
For me anyone that is on a bike is doing the rite thing. I do come across the occasional fixed gear rider when im about town (luckily for me fixed gears and hipsters havnt invaded too badly yet). I can have a good chuckle at the twats u see on the packaged fixies that you see jerking all over the place when they obviously forgot that they cant coast along. In my eyes they are all doing the right thing by being on a bike rather than being one of the bogans in the southern cross stamped utes. So i dont so much look down upon other "trendy" fixie riders but i cant stand the people that u see on brakeless fixies that are putting themselves in danger by being "trendy" yet come a life or death situation they have little knowledge of how to bring there "cool" bike to a quick halt.

For me all my fixie is is a bike that never lets me down and keeps my ride anywhere fun, and who is going to deny that doing long over the bar skids down hills doesn't make that commute a little more fun. I rode the same bike that my old man rode to uni back when fixies where almost all that was around, enjoyed a freewheel while my ancient brakes worked then discovered the joys of a fixed wheel and trackstanding, gone where the days of having to get my feet into my straps after stopping while being too tired to coordinate that with looking where i was going. Fixies are great bikes but shame on "hipsters riding up to busy intersections and grabbing onto stop signs to stop. if you're going to ride fixed, have at least a front brake until you get used to stopping with the pedals. "

lanab

Squid
Slaughter perfect working retros and making these to fixies is a shame, fixies are all a trend that will go away and i don't see any point using a fixie for daily riding, why going backwards?

It's just a stupid trend for people who don't appreciate real bikes or don't know how to ride a retro racer.

Last edited:

Knut

Troll hunter
Nope, dissagree there. I absolutely love bikes. I ride a fixie to work because it is fun and not a bad workout. It gets me there in a good time too I might add. My MTB and Roadie are too nice to ride to work. The fact that I can wear my work clothes and ride is a bonus. Not all fixie riders are hipster fashion victims with unco riding skills.