Fixie postcards

idesa

Likes Bikes
So another question from me about fixies, is there any significant philosophical standing behind the postcard in the spokes thing? Looks cool don't get me wrong, but just wondering what it's all about :confused:

P.s. I think I'm gettin hooked.
P.p.s. Yes I am getting hooked and I'm getting my frame and forks today :D Don't know what brand it is, just that it was powdercoated whiite about 5-6 years ago and it used to be a racer...

alexb618

Likes Dirt
they put the postcards from the alleycat races in their spokes

its a hipster thing

much like not wearing helmets

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was told that they are actually playing cards and represent your number in the alleycat race.

idesa

Likes Bikes
Lol well thanks guys, so far I have the image of a hip supastitious fixie ridder with a few postcards/playingcards in his spokes after gettin hit by a car in an alleycat, in a vain effort to ward off cancer :confused:
I think I need to lay down after workin out that one :p
Outy groovers

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I heard fixie do it so they sound like they have a motor when they ride fast, that way people get outta the way :D no really :D alternatively they could be to write their last thoughts on after riding that trail on a fixie :D

Sleeman

Likes Dirt
The real use of spoke cards is to give you some place to write down all the girls phone numbers. Something about a fixie does it for them, and it doesn't take long to run out of room on your arms...

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
I heard it was a "to-do" list for the rider, and had things like:
"- must buy brakes soon"
"- investigate this thing called a "freewheel""
"- appointment with psychologist, tomorrow 2pm..."

idesa

Likes Bikes
"- must buy brakes soon"
HAHAHA Techno Destructo, the bike fashion philistine :D You really don't like fixies do you mate?!

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
HAHAHA Techno Destructo, the bike fashion philistine :D You really don't like fixies do you mate?!
Actually, I do... And I really admire the super hardcore ones who ride fixed-gear-no-brakes. Carlin rocks the Manly to city commute on a fixed gear, and he had no problems keeping up! (he uses a front brake though... soft.;) )

But you gotta admit... beyond the reason of easy/cheap maintenance... it's a pretty nutty thing to do!

I might try it one day. Maybe.

pilot

Likes Dirt
I just bought myself a fixie!!
an avanti blade with an eno hub.
Goddam its light, some carbon parts and sweet roadies wheels, very smooth.

I know little of this postcard tradition but thought i'd offer my first cross-country post all the same.

I'm running 2:1, way too high for the city, need new cog!

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just bought myself a fixie!!
an avanti blade with an eno hub.
Me too except my fixie is a little more old school.
Only carbon on it is in the saddle.

Campy drop outs on the frame and Gipiemme drop outs on the fork, Reynolds 531 tubing. :cool:

Hand built in QLD by Hoffy Cycles (Hoffy stamped into the BB shell).

Oh yeah just finished building up this little rocket too!!!

Set her up 42/15 but that may be a little high I think and may need to drop to 42/17.
She is SS if you were wondering (not fixed).

Last edited:

Dicky

Punter God
"- must buy brakes soon"

"- Knee reconstruction 3pm"

Who am I kidding, I'm going to build one anyway. All I need is a wheelset...

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Campy drop outs on the frame and Gipiemme drop outs on the fork, Reynolds 531 tubing. :cool:

Hand built in QLD by Hoffy Cycles (Hoffy stamped into the BB shell).

Nice;)

pilot

Likes Dirt
My avanti has vertical dropouts but i get chain tension from the ENO flip-flop hub, the bolts that fit into the dropouts are off centre so the wheel can be rotated to pull it further away from the BB.

has anyone had any experience with this hub? any tips?

I'll be putting a freewheel on it for a little while until i get used to SPD pedals.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My avanti has vertical dropouts but i get chain tension from the ENO flip-flop hub, the bolts that fit into the dropouts are off centre so the wheel can be rotated to pull it further away from the BB.

has anyone had any experience with this hub? any tips?

I'll be putting a freewheel on it for a little while until i get used to SPD pedals.
No experience personally but I know plenty of guys in the US have used it with no problems.