Fixing height adjustment on 09 Fox 36 TALAS

takai

Eats Squid
Ok, ive got a pair of 36 TALASs on the AM bike, and the height adjustment has decided to disappear in the last 18 months of it not being used, just stuck at 160mm now, which i hear is a pretty normal thing for them to do.

Ive asked a few shops, and had responses ranging from requiring a full new TALAS insert, to just a rebuild kit. The range of responses isnt inspiring confidence though, so i was wondering whether anyone here had rebuilt their TALAS height adjust system so it works again?

If so what needed doing on it?

markb84

Likes Dirt
A rebuild (full service) of the Talas cartridge should do it. The most likely reason for it failing is that the little holes that make Talas do it's funky stuff are blocked, full service of the Talas cartidge should sort that, the service is fairly straight forward but you need the special talas tool. Whilst you're at it get the new low friction seals, they make your forks feel like new!

anthonyma

Likes Dirt
The special TALAS tool isn't strictly necessary, assuming you're referring to the one to charge the IFP chamber. I've done the rebuild without the tool it does require an extra pair of hands.

Agree on oil migration as a probable cause, and a spring-side rebuild as the most likely fix. Fox has all the details on their site. You might be lucky and not need to do a complete rebuild on the TALAS assembly which would make things simpler.