Flakey/Flawed Physics Friday

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Ever conducted a little (possibly flawed) physics/science experiment for fun, because you're bored or for your own sanity? Then post it here.

Two of mine in recent times are:

- grease slippery-ness test where I greased up the bottom of a weight on a flat surface attached to string that was hanging off the end of a table. I then added weight to the end hanging off the table and recorded which grease required less weight to slide.

-and this arvo I tested out the seal friction on the internal floating pistons I designed around different seal types (o-rings and u-cup seals) for my dual air chamber setup in my fork. This time I took photos of this super serious physics journey.

I clamped a deflecting beam torque wrench by the head in a vice and then tested each IFP at 25psi by pushing on the handle of the torque wrench.
1000012578.jpg

The two different seal types on the IFP's and the dynamic air chamber
1000012580.jpg

1000012581.jpg

And the all-important peer reviewed results of this highly anticipated study

Screenshot 2024-03-22 144923.jpg

I think I might need to machine a tad more off the OD of the u-cup seal grooves as I think the seal compression could be reduced a little and still allow the u-cups to hold pressure because theoretically u-cups should net less friction.

Fire away with the questions/criticism or experiments of your own (mtb related or not)!

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I'd give quad rings a go... The friction of the cup seals will likely increase once they get a bit of air pressure behind them too.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I've got a fun little thing happening at the moment solving a few of the problems with hydroxy stoves. I have 2 home made working stoves of different designs. So far I've managed to burn holes in a couple of pots due to atmospheric O2 but I've possibly got this solved now without having to bleed oxygen out of the reactor. I just have to get a couple platinum electrodes because I've been turning water green using stainless.
The idea is that if this all works it could give people a clean gas option for home cooking and secondly the gas bottle for the barby becomes redundant.
There's only been a couple of small explosions and I've not lost any eyebrows so it's all good.