Flat bar roadie - pros & cons commuting

I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11

Blitzkrieg Films
/\ that's the shit I'm talking about.

but even normal rims handle the hard shit.. I used to ride my roadie down flights of stairs, jump gutters.. all that fun stuff.. haven't broken a spoke nor even buckled my wheel.
Roadies rule

El Paso

Likes Bikes
What's anyone's opinion on a cyclocross bike for commuting duties? I too am a fan of drop bars for their "squeeze through traffic" capabilities, but the roadie I'm on is too big to start with and I'm getting damn sick of punctures.

My reasoning is that a crosser reduces the risks of punctures (fatter, stronger tyres) while not losing too much speed.

Aro

Likes Bikes
What's anyone's opinion on a cyclocross bike for commuting duties? I too am a fan of drop bars for their "squeeze through traffic" capabilities, but the roadie I'm on is too big to start with and I'm getting damn sick of punctures.

My reasoning is that a crosser reduces the risks of punctures (fatter, stronger tyres) while not losing too much speed.
Havn't had the pleasure to own one, but this one sure looks the goods, drop a set of slicks on & you're away.
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=137724

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Agreed. I am back on drops after a year or so on flats & it is so much better.

If you want the best of both worlds get Randonneur or Touring bars, they have wider flat sections but the option of drops.
Rod, I'm intrigued by your change of mind.

How aggressive does your riding get through traffic? Do you do a lot of "bobbing and weaving", threading the needle, and the like? Darting through quick little gaps that open and close around you?

Would drop bars be detrimental to that kind of riding?

Oh, by the way, I gave my flat bars the chop so they're fairly narrow now... not much wider than an average pair of drop bars

Last edited:

nelo784

Likes Bikes
You should be considering serious racing!

That's pretty damn fast if your speedo is set up correctly - I can manage 30km/hr average with typical 33-36km/hr cruising speed on the flat over a nearly identical distance and I still pass a lot of people.

On the topic of flat bars - if you ride in a lot of aggressive traffic then a flat bar roadie/MTB set up for road is the way to go (I rode this setup in Sydney for years and it was perfect for inner-city chicanery). However, if you have a good clear run with paths or lanes for significant stretches then a drop bar roadie will reward you with considerably higher stustainable speed. A test I did this morning indicates it makes nearly a 2km/hr difference riding on the flats vs the drops, so that may be useful data for your decision.
If you are averaging 35 kmh on a bike path on a flat bar bike with no one to slipstream with, you should be getting on a real road bike on the road and training for the olympics! That is seriously fast. Is this your average speed for the whole journey?

I ride a flat bar fixed speed bike for my commute on bike path. I am running 43/16 and find this works well if there are not too many hills. This is a great way to go as there is no maintenance, just some chain lube and with some reasonable rubber, you can happily go up and down curbs, jump if you need too and not worry about your old style steel frame. This makes a big difference on bike paths.

Cheers.

scblack

Leucocholic
My prospective commute is very similar distance to yours. 32km to work, approx 35km home. Thats Baulkham Hills to Circular Quay, and the addition home is due to the diversion off the M2 past Macquarie uni.

I am attempting to work out how long it will take me, so I can guess 1hr15m will be the best estimate.
What a great estimate! First ride to work today - 32km, took, according to the computer 1hr 14m 53s. Average 25.7kmh.

Pretty happy with that for a first ride on a roadie, first ride on clipless.:cool:

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I'm a bit late on this tread but I need some help/thoughts.

Went into CSC and saw a lovely looking Clamont s/s, got me thinking that could be fun for my daily commute (Balmain to Surrey Hills via Lane Cove) which at the moment I'm doing on my 29er.

The Clamont is well above the price point I want to pay. After a bit of research a few others popped up on my radar.
1. Charge Plug- but doesn't arrive in the country for 6-8 weeks and no idea on a price yet.

2. Giant Bowery- with a flat bar and xtr pedals

Dilemma is impending nuptuals are sucking funds faster than I can earn them, so don't know if I can hold out for the Charge.

Has anybody got any prior experience with a flat bar on the Giant.

Thanks

Check out the Specialized Tricross. I checked out the stores for a bike to do the commute from home to work and back again. Looked at hybrids and flat bar roadies. Came across the Tricross, took it for a spin and was back in the next day to buy one. I am very impressed with it and it travels fast but is solid enough to take the pot holes or kerbs without much problem.

ordie

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

i am turning my backon the car & considering the swith to a flat-bar roadie to commute 20km to & from work. I have a specialized dual suspension with 26-inch rims. I reasoned that this will be unsuitable for the commute.

Should i buy a hybrid to ease myself into it or go for a flat bar roadbike with the weight & gearing advantage?

As i have never ridden a flat-bar nor have i commuted since i was at school, i would appreciate peoples points of view.

I feel the MTB-style gear systems are superior to road-style drop bar setups. I mean all too often you will have your hands on the flats anyway, but gearing & braking is at the bottom of the bars. Hence not interested in a traditional road bike, PLUS Sydney roads are terrible & i fear the light-weight road bikes of today would not survive.

Thanks for your comments in advance.
It dosent matter about the gears all you will need is a 42/16 or mabey 42/20. my dad used to ride to work on a fixey