Flat pedal technique advice

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
After 3-4yrs on clips, I have since spent the last 3 months on flats which was a great learning curve and really enjoyed it..
Went back onto clips today. Noticed my riding/technique has improved by spending time on flats.

I really enjoyed not clipping the ground/rocks which always happened with the flats - this was my biggest pet hate with flats. The smaller SPD platform even on the shimano trails just doesn't get caught up as much on rocks.

Also enjoyed just not having to think too much about my feet.

But also missed the flats too. Having to change shoes as soon as I finished my ride etc. Rock gardens felt bit more nervous when clipped in too..

I think I might just alternate between the 2.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Sorry I disagree with 'arms almost totally locked out' - I tend to advise people to ride in the 'attack position', ride neutral and you give yourself a fair degree of movement should things go wrong in the air! If your arms are locked out and you land front first get ready to go OTB! I notice that newbies tend to pull the bike up when they jump, mostly because they are going too slow.

I can only speak for myself but I find I'm most comfortable when I'm in the attack position, I have plenty of movement in my arms and legs, and can transfer my weight easily - keeping it on topic I also ride flats! :p
You only take off with your arms straight after popping to get the front to lift, then you readjust and roll the bike under yourself. It's all in the vids I posted. I don't bother doing it on small stuff but when you need height and length to clear stuff at low speed I do.

Last edited: