flat pedals?

mitchy-b

Likes Dirt
decided to put a new set of pedals on my norco shore, im going to stick with flat pedals, clips scare the shit out of me! so im after a few opinions, and ideas.
p.s i did a search nothing recent came up...but could be because im a spud at searching shit. thanks guys.
mitch

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Funn Soljam

They're heavy and thick but they grip better than any other pedal I've used with a pair of 5.10's. Around $80 from CRC and heaps of colours, only way to go.

Stax

Squid
Soljam

Yep, funn soljam are all I use. Massive platform, massive pins. Can't go wrong with that. Did find that once the pins broke off you pretty much couldn't screw replacements in but I got a whole year out of my last set all the same so that's pretty good going I reckon

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
DMR V8, any of the Bilt pedals from DH Direct if he has any in stock.

Avoid Crank Bros 5050.

Also, don't overlook BMX pedals. I've had good experiences with Shadow Conspiracy Nostra flat pedals and even Colony Fantastic Plastic.

mitchy-b

Likes Dirt
yes the jetblack flats are sick! and the straightlines look the goods but pricey....what are dmr v8 or v12's like?

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heaps and heaps of good options out there.

Im currently using some of the Ti Superstar Ultra Mag pedals w/ Straitline pins (the standard pins wern't long enough). 310g for the pair.

However i used a pair of Ciari BMX pedals for ages. I hammered those things into rocks a million times and actually still have them as my spare set as there still running as good as the day i bought them. Very good bearings, still super smooth & not one bit of play after 2yrs hard riding. Chunky strong body (definitely not the lightest) but plain simple reliability for a pretty cheap price.

Think they cost me about $60-70au from Phantom Cycles at the time?
http://www.ciariparts.com/Pedals/tabid/587/Default.aspx

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Did find that once the pins broke off you pretty much couldn't screw replacements in
There's a way around this, a mate does this thing where punches in bigger pins/screws/something alike I think. I've ridden his custom soljams, they grip better than the normal ones with the bigger pins and don't come out as easily

birdman

Likes Dirt
why avoid 5050's, ive run mine for 2 years riding and racing hardtail downhill and another six months on my dually and they dont look like giving up anytime soon

P1u5 5am hi11 u5es d3m s0 deh mu5t b3 duh 835t