Flipping a coin, Demo or Status.

justinx

Likes Bikes
demo sizing

Thanks Side, I think that kind of clears it up for me. I am 5'7 about 73 Kg so I guess a medium it is!
I definitely felt more in control on it(med)....judging by what I have read and seen, I think your spot on, so I am happy to fall back in file on a medium!

Thanks again.
dont want to complicate the decision but, im 5'7 78kg on a small demo, medium would be to big,mine's 2010 so maybe the geometry has changed with the newer ones? you'll want to be able to hang right off the back of this thing.sorry if ive thrown a spanner in the works.

walkietalkie

Likes Dirt
dont want to complicate the decision but, im 5'7 78kg on a small demo, medium would be to big,
mine's 2010 so maybe the geometry has changed with the newer ones? you'll want to be able to hang right off the back of this thing.
sorry if ive thrown a spanner in the works.
Nah mate, all good. You didnt. But appreciate you letting me know...are you more of a technical or speed rider?
Im really starting to understand that maybe the med. was feeling to forward(small) but for good reason. Could in fact be the bike for me.
So used to XC geometry, guess I better throw that thinking out the window!

Tried a test ride on a Giant Glory yesterday too......I dont know if I should be looking into that too?

Cheers

tatems

Likes Bikes
definatly look into the glory,
and have you thought about second hand?, I know that I crashed heaps when i first started downhilling and that i was thankful that i was riding a cheep bike and when i got better bought a better bike that i wouldn't wreck so quickly, much more cost effective IMO

walkietalkie

Likes Dirt
The Glory did feel nice mate, but now I dont know which way to turn??
Glory is better on price, but Demo felt better in it movements(X/Y axis).....felt I could move it where/when I wanted.
I guess it just comes down to adjusting to suit.

Mmmmmmmm......

Nautonier

Eats Squid
The Glory did feel nice mate, but now I dont know which way to turn??
Glory is better on price, but Demo felt better in it movements(X/Y axis).....felt I could move it where/when I wanted.
I guess it just comes down to adjusting to suit.

Mmmmmmmm......
I've owned a 2010 Glory and now have a Demo. The Glory was great as my first DH bike and very forgiving, but now that I've done quite a bit of riding I much prefer the Demo. It's a lot more nimble and the cornering is outstanding with the low centre of gravity. Everyone says that Glorys pedal well, but I personally find the pedalling efficiency better on the Demo. I also think the steep HA of the Glory combined with the high BB isn't great on really steep tech stuff. I put an angleset on mine which made it better, but also very sluggish on flatter sections.

rustysteel

Likes Bikes
I've owned a 2010 Glory and now have a Demo. The Glory was great as my first DH bike and very forgiving, but now that I've done quite a bit of riding I much prefer the Demo. It's a lot more nimble and the cornering is outstanding with the low centre of gravity. Everyone says that Glorys pedal well, but I personally find the pedalling efficiency better on the Demo. I also think the steep HA of the Glory combined with the high BB isn't great on really steep tech stuff. I put an angleset on mine which made it better, but also very sluggish on flatter sections.
I've seen this gentleman's demo on a few occasions and even though I'm happy tormenting my Sunday at the moment, I'd definitely look at a demo come next purchase time.....however I do WHOLLY agree with the guy earlier who said that you could get a good second hand rig to start with and upgrade later when you've got the skills and moves to keep it upright more often - look in the for sale section on here, I got a multiple worldcup-winning bike (Ironhorse Sunday) in great nic with World Cup Boxxers and Fox DX 5.0 Shock for $1000......goodluck matching that LBS!

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With the glory/demo argument. If it was me right now. the demo would win hands down, but being a beginner, i would look on here, and buy a cheapish second hand bike. I was going to buy a brand new bike when i started out, but a mate convinced me to buy a 2nd hand glory. And the thing has taken an absolute beating. you wouldn't want to do that to a new bike.
Now that i have learnt the way of dh, im in the market for a new (or close to) bike, witch better suits my riding style. but if its your first downhiller. defiantly go second hand. you will look back in a year or 2's time. on a new shiny rig, and realized why you bought 2nd hand in the first place, and how you wouldn't do that to any bike after you look back on it

driftking

Wheel size expert
You have probably already got the bike but off chance you haven't test a small.
The demos are big fairclough was on a medium and hill who is like 5"8' is on a small.
A medium might be too big definitely test.

And again yes demo over status easy, the status is more casual the demo is a muh better machine for dh it's just more refined and you won't be finding you are lackin or limiting on the demo.

J864

Cannon Fodder
I've ridden both, and have a 2013 Carbon Demo.
...to be honest...I love riding my friends Status. It's just a really fun, forgiving, playful bike.
You have to think....the Status is more of a "park" bike, whereas the Demo is a dedicated downhill bike...in other words, the Status is for getting down the mountain, jumping, whipping, and having FUN on the way down, and the Demo is for shaving seconds of your personal best time, and getting down the hill AS FAST AS POSSIBLE.
So....Going downhill and throwing the bike around, having FUN...OR...getting down the mountain FAST.