Foam

Hey guys me and a mate are interested in building a foam pit, we can easily gather up the external part of the pit but i was just wondering for anyone out there who has a foam pit, where did you get your foam from and how much was it. thanks.

-Jordan-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Won't it still hurt putting your head/neck into sand?

Especially once it starts to settle, can be fairly hard.

As for the question, looking at building one too. Foam tends to be fairly expensive, so try something like old milk bottles etc. to fill up the bottom, then just go to some foam stores and get some cheap foam offcuts. Also, look out for old beds. :p

Unless of course you are really rich, in which case, go to a foam store or a gym place.

THE YETI

Likes Dirt
Won't it still hurt putting your head/neck into sand?

Especially once it starts to settle, can be fairly hard.

As for the question, looking at building one too. Foam tends to be fairly expensive, so try something like old milk bottles etc. to fill up the bottom, then just go to some foam stores and get some cheap foam offcuts. Also, look out for old beds. :p

Unless of course you are really rich, in which case, go to a foam store or a gym place.
Ahh, i think you missed the sarcasm. So perhaps i should add ~~NEVER try sand, it wont cushion your fall~~

get old car seat foam lounges and mattresses of it or you could break into a school and steal their gym mats and put it through a wood chipper

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A mate of mine works building demountable structures ie electrical switch stations, transportable accomodation etc. These structures use lots of insulation bats in the frames, the off cuts are thrown in a rubbish skip. The insulation is low allergy and can be handled without gloves and without adverse side effects. Would make a really good bottom layer, with foam on top.

It may be worth contacting a company and asking if you can scavenge through their skips. Apparently, the site where he works discards timber pallets of a multitude of sizes and shapes, and heaps of other wooden beams , galvanised metal brackets, galvinised steel strap, coach screws, and nuts and bolts etc.

From what he's described, we could build an awesome NS run for next to nothing, and the company would be happy because the skips will take longer to fill. Just ensure you ask permission to enter the site at a pre-arranged time.

Honestly, the stuff they discard is unbelievable!
Could be worth checking the yellow pages and making a few phone calls.

djfr

Likes Dirt
me and a couple of mates built a foam pit at my mates place we lined the bottom with pallets to keep the foam off the ground we then got a whole heap of matress from throw out pile (about13) to line the bottom over the pallets

we got some of our foam as cutoff bags from clark rubber for 10 bucks a bag

after we bought about 5 bags we realised it was gunna cost too much and we ended up getting the rest of the offcuts from a place called MINTO FOAM CO we got 2 whole, very packed van loads of foam for about 40 or 50 bucks each load

hope this helps

Bike_Breaker

Likes Dirt
hey all, just riding around my mates suburb 2day i noticed atleast 12 or 13 mattresses getting turfed out with kerb side pik up, now i havnt ridden/built a foam pit so i might not have any idea but couldnt u just cut the foam out of the mattresses and use that? otherwise go to a lounge chair covering company(my nieghbor does it and we get foam from him) and get there offcuts, they should be free and if it is a large company they will have heaps!

anyway hope that helps