Focus Mares AX 1.0 or AX 2.0

tektek

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

Seeking riders who have a focus mares ax or cx or have experience with APEX vs 105 drivetrain to assist me deciding if:

1. If the focus is good for commuting, with occasional fire trails (3 times a year, dirty fondo events)?
2. Which focus to get 1.0 has full hydro and APEX while 2.0 is TRP brakes with 105.

Thanks

riz0

Likes Bikes
Hi All,

Seeking riders who have a focus mares ax or cx or have experience with APEX vs 105 drivetrain to assist me deciding if:

1. If the focus is good for commuting, with occasional fire trails (3 times a year, dirty fondo events)?
2. Which focus to get 1.0 has full hydro and APEX while 2.0 is TRP brakes with 105.

Thanks
Hi

I have a focus CX with mostly 105 (fsa cranks and canti brakes). I love it, but really only for the dirt. I commuted on it a couple of times on the road when my roadie was out of action and was glad to get the road bike back, just because it is faster. If I didn't have a road bike though, I would be happy to commute on it, with some slick tyres.

I can't comment on APEX but am happy with 105. I have ultegra on the road and honestly don't notice any difference in the shifting. Ultegra is just lighter. The cantilever brakes are ok, but I would have gone for hydraulic discs if I didn't get such a good deal on my bike. Does the AX 2.0 frame have the potential to upgrade to hydraulic discs?

I personally would prefer 105 just because I know it's good and sram is always so expensive, and look at what the cost to upgrade the brakes are if you're not happy with them.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
This one with hydro of course. TRPs are good but they got nothing on a full hydro setup.

Personally i prefer Apex shifters even though my current stable is all shimano (they have the OEM market cornered). But either way you;re not going to have trouble getting used to the double tap. The added bonus of the Apex is it is cross compatible with sram 10 speed meaning MTB derailleurs, cassettes work with your shifters.

Nick Njegac

Likes Bikes
I've ridden the bike you're interested in and the s-700 levers feel quite clucky for me, and that was my first time riding sram double tap. I rode another bike with normal apex levers with avid bb7s which felt a lot better. I'll be a little controversial but I feel like the bb7's felt better than the sram hydros. I think it comes down to whether you're a shimano or sram man, but I think the 2.0 might be a better option, and even better if it's 105 11sp, just my 2c

Mafra

Likes Bikes
The added bonus of the Apex is it is cross compatible with sram 10 speed meaning MTB derailleurs, cassettes work with your shifters.
This is a big bonus if you're planning on taking this bike off road, or racing cross.

Have not ridden either, the S700 levers are closer to Force or Rival in quality so the Apex involved is I presume just the derailleurs (having not checked the spec) which is easy fixed with an X9 type 2.

I run the TRP HyRDs on my cross bike currently with Rival shifters - they're pretty good but the general consensus is that hydro of either flavour is a step up again.

1.0 looks better IMHO.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
my CX has Red levers with TRP Spyres, and i've ridden the the S700's. they have the same zero loss shifting which the older Red stuff felt awesome because of, the only real difference i felt was the carbon Red levers feel a little nicer in my opinion and the larger hoods of the hydro's. the hydro's were definately better than my Spyre's though (which were better than my old BB7 S Road's too)

I added an 2015 AX2.0 to my stable 3 months back and am nearly up to 2500km now.

I very much preferred the 11-speed 105 shift to the old 10-sp SRAM on the 1.0 and rumour had it that the current TRP hydro-mechs were sorted. I'm very happy with the action and efficacy although not sure the rotor/pad match is optimal as they do shudder a bit at low speeds until well bedded in. Front pads lasted 2000km, rears half gone.

The standard wheels are boat anchors but stand up to abuse well. The Rocket Rons are brilliant in sand, mud, good on gravel but wear quickly on Tarmac - I swapped front/rear after 1000km of 85/15 road/trail as the back tyre had almost lost it knobs.

Meanwhile I bought a set of Stans Alpha 340s with Scwalbe Ones (and the through-axle converter kit from Stans USA) - wheels are around 1550g I think so now the bike can double as a speedy, durable all-weather commuter that is no hardship coming off my plastic roadie. RAT makes wheel swaps a bit easier too.

As for off-road stuff, it laps up gravel roads and smooth fire trail of course but is huge fun on flowing single track.

Just back from a trip to VIC - took it up Charlotte's Pass, then rode Yarra Trails ST and Hans Loop finishing with a 100km (mostly) gravel run in the country.

Very happy indeed with its versatility, quality and great value.

tektek

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the replies. I managed to test ride both of the bikes and really enjoyed the full hyrdos brakes. Did you all find that you had to go down one size for the bike? Bike shop said I was a small (normally ride medium).

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I found the bike aggressive in geometry compared to my usual sportif road bikes.

I'm a 55 usually but on the mares I went 54. I ride 56 on the road, 19.5 mtb (this one is spot on)54 on my graveller and 56 on the track bike.

Whatever you are comfortable with.

Last edited:
Likewise I went with a medium (TT 550/ST 560) while my roadie is large (560/570). Great fit, front end is relatively low on the Mares.

tektek

Likes Dirt
Hi Johnny,

I ended buying the Mares AX 1.0. With regard to your Stans Alpha wheels and converter kit, where did you source it from as I am looking to replace the stock heavy ones with something lighter.

I added an 2015 AX2.0 to my stable 3 months back and am nearly up to 2500km now.

I very much preferred the 11-speed 105 shift to the old 10-sp SRAM on the 1.0 and rumour had it that the current TRP hydro-mechs were sorted. I'm very happy with the action and efficacy although not sure the rotor/pad match is optimal as they do shudder a bit at low speeds until well bedded in. Front pads lasted 2000km, rears half gone.

The standard wheels are boat anchors but stand up to abuse well. The Rocket Rons are brilliant in sand, mud, good on gravel but wear quickly on Tarmac - I swapped front/rear after 1000km of 85/15 road/trail as the back tyre had almost lost it knobs.

Meanwhile I bought a set of Stans Alpha 340s with Scwalbe Ones (and the through-axle converter kit from Stans USA) - wheels are around 1550g I think so now the bike can double as a speedy, durable all-weather commuter that is no hardship coming off my plastic roadie. RAT makes wheel swaps a bit easier too.

As for off-road stuff, it laps up gravel roads and smooth fire trail of course but is huge fun on flowing single track.

Just back from a trip to VIC - took it up Charlotte's Pass, then rode Yarra Trails ST and Hans Loop finishing with a 100km (mostly) gravel run in the country.

Very happy indeed with its versatility, quality and great value.