AM Focus SAM 1.0 Trail Team

nitro01

Likes Dirt
Hey lads and laddettes, figured I'd do a show and tell of my lesser known almighty Enduro rig which entered the stable on Friday afternoon.

So, bike is a 2015 Focus SAM 1.0 Trail Team, size large. Tips the scales at 13ish kg which is impressive for an alloy frame dripping with expensive things...

It's got an XX1 drivetrain with a 32t ring which has been amazing for the climbs, Guide RSC's (200mm F + 180mm R), Pikes (drool worthy, big step up from worn out 34's), Monarch Plus and Reynolds AM27.5 Black label carbon hoops.

Goddamn this thing goes like a cut snake. Everything I've ridden in the 2 days I have owned it is literally a toasted marshmallow, it pedals pretty darn well and as soon as it points downhill it gets super rowdy and is an absolute blast to ride. All my DH strava times have been beaten without even trying....

Will post here as I put it through some races and proper miles, but so far, impressed! I'll be at Rd5 Mt Joyce Enduro this weekend, grey Focus team kit and this mighty fine rig so feel free to come say hey!

Cheers,

Nitro :p
11950859_870763749676642_1312516304_n.jpg 11994416_871510512935299_2086464437_n.jpg

RIDE REPORT:
So I went out to Mt Joyce for practice today with a mate and his dad, and we cruised around on some of the stages for tomorrow's Enduro. Really cool to go out and hang with a couple of rad guys and learn the trails which are not familiar at all. And that's where I learned....
THIS THING IS A ROCKET!

It climbs relatively well for a pretty burly setup. The very sharp angled seat post was strange at first and while on paper the wheelbase is a bees member shorter than a bus it feels quite the opposite. You don't sit in this thing, you sit on it. The Monarch firms up well in the middle and firm setting, and there is very little pedal feedback and it has so much grip on all surfaces attempted so far. 25psi in the Mountain King is plenty and it doesn't squirm on the Reynold's rims, which are sublime and tough! 22 in the Trail King is heaps, and the wider wheels give buckets of contact patch and look the goods.

Speaking of pedalling, the XX1 has been performing well so far, no chain slap and it shifts nicely. It's not so happy dropping into the 10 tooth, seems to be quite a delay before the gear engages, which is something I'll have to attend to. 32 tooth ring rocks!

Now the fun stuff - the downhill. If you want to chunder down a section, no complaints. Want to go wild and lily pad? Go for it. It rips! Once the Guides bedded in, it went from confident descender to yelling and screeching and re learning what I love about All Mountain riding. It didn't try to buck me off - 30% sag in the Monarch + leaves plenty of travel in reserve but still has enough squish to turn the logs on Blackrock into toasted marshmallows. In fact it turns every damn thing into a toasted marshmallow. Plush? I THINK YES! The Pikes are glorious and very well behaved, and with minimal tuning time and overall time in the saddle this is more planted than my Makulu... and that's saying something. And the jumps! Oh my lawd the jumps. Hucking and a tweaking and a whip the shiz out of that!

So with minimal time in the blunt axe resembling Tundra (which is OUT OF HERE soon ish), I'm over the moon with this bloody thing and while it hasn't taken me to school and said HELL NAW yet I don't think it's about to any time soon, it is seriously going to take a hell of a lot to push the SAM out of it's comfort zone.

I also named it, as I do, because I'm weird like that, so Spirit (in the Spirit of ALL MOUNTAIN) is definitely a keeper. I give 9.99/10. Make that 10 tooth a snappy shift and 10/10.
If you're looking for a new 160mm beast to add to the stable... check this sucker out. Definitely a looker!

Last edited:

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
That's hot! Did you buy it complete? build it up from a frame only?

nitro01

Likes Dirt
Picked it up complete. Have just returned from a street play and it's very happy playing around on tarmac as it is going down. Weeeee!

didly86

Likes Dirt
Nice bike .
I really like the look of these bike , nice colours also .

I was trying to get a old stock 2014 but I missed out on my size .

nitro01

Likes Dirt
I'll do a ride review after the race this weekend, sound good? Nitty gritty details for you all... but after 4ish hours on it, I'm thoroughly impressed.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
jealous, love the look of these things... almost snapped up a frame i saw on ebay recently.

teK--

Eats Squid
Nice ride! I couldn't believe these were around $7K for an alloy bike though. There goes my dreams of getting the carbon one when it comes out here.

nitro01

Likes Dirt
UPDATE: check out the ride report in the first post! Thanks for all the words guys and gals, this thing is amazing!!!

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Love the look of these things. Great write up in 'What Mountain Bike' (or mountain biking UK. I ways get them mixed up)

lucifuge

Likes Bikes
So the Focus Sam runs a single pivot design. Can the OP please comment to what extent they experience brake-jack? This is pretty much my only concern with the bike.

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
great looking bike mate! and super solid build kit!

I love the simple straight tubes, and the no fuss suspension layout.

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
I just received my focus sam frame today in the post from Jonny Sprocket. After reading your review I can't build this thing up quick enough!!

nitro01

Likes Dirt
UPDATE - 5 months on or something like that (excuse inability to count) with the real MVP - Spirit, the 2015 SAM Team

So I thought I'd post an update about this lovely beast since it's seen around 4000+km and some seriously steep descents.

I have one word.

WOW!!

It hasn't misbehaved as of yet. No broken parts, no squealing brakes, no dramas, no noise, no worries! I'm in love. It's performed solidly over the rides, gets thrashed 4 days a week with a little less maintenance than it really needs, and doesn't complain.

Things that need to be adjusted/rectified:

1. I stuck with the Fizi:K Tundra2 because I thought it might wear in and be nice and comfy. Since it feels like my rear has been whipped by barb wire, I'm going to go with a definite NOPE and flick it. Carbon braided Tundra2, anyone?
2. Shock needs another bottomless token, for extra reassurance on the big hits, and there's a few. I'm not nice to this bike.

Apart from those two teeeeeeeeny tiny things, it's amazing. Can live with the shock, but I'd like to rectify the saddle situation post haste.

Things I've changed over stock:

Grips, wore out the stock Focus grips fairly quickly. Gone to a set of my old favourite LizardSkin MOAB lockons. Winning!
Tires - Again, wore out the Conti's pretty quick. Now running a DHF Minion on the front and a Minion SS on the back, both in 2.3. Nice tires, miss the security of my Continentals though. Hopefully get a bit more distance out of the Maxxis' before I have to shell out on some rubber again.

Things to come:

Cassette, chainring and chain soon. Only dropped the chain once on a heavily rough section + crash at Toowoomba *cough* over the bars in a rock garden = ouch (my own stupid fault, off the edge of the track bad line damnit Nitro sort it out will ya) *cough*
SEAT
Big service with forks and shock included. It's most definitely earned it!

All in all:

I don't think I'm ever going to sell this bike. I love it to bits, and it's outperformed my expectations by a looooong shot. I'm dropping times on stages, taking lines I never thought possible, getting even more comfortable in the air and finding out every little detail in it.

It makes me look like I know what I'm doing for once.... makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Ride time I think!

Cheers for reading, will post an update mid February after Enduro Nationals in Bright! Come say G'day if you're there - grey Focus factory kit, Fox helmet and this grumpy looking monstrously lovable beast.

Nitro :)

PS: Follow me on Instagram - @enduro_styles - to see the life of Spirit!

nitro01

Likes Dirt
So the Focus Sam runs a single pivot design. Can the OP please comment to what extent they experience brake-jack? This is pretty much my only concern with the bike.
I only just realised you asked a question, apologies

Zero brake jack, amazing pivot movement!

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
I only just realised you asked a question, apologies

Zero brake jack, amazing pivot movement!
+1

& Still can't believe how well these things climb! Next to 0 peddle bob, feels like a hardtail. Im even matching/beating some of my hardtail PR on strava going up, and of course down. Love mine to bits :llama:

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thanks for the ride report Nitro01..

Nice ride! I couldn't believe these were around $7K for an alloy bike though. There goes my dreams of getting the carbon one when it comes out here.
Johny sprockets was selling a few frames on the cheap at one stage.